Cheapest Bar is?

Which pubs are the cheapest ?

The cheapest places to drink here are the all-you-can-drink restaurants, usually seafood. In Nankan here they are 50NT (99NT on a weekend) for all the draught beer you can drink. Though you might regret it the next day because they beer makes Taiwan Beer taste good.

Besides those KTV infested places, there are a few Taipei clubs that have 500nt deals but they are usually pretty shitty places to drink - WAX, B1, TU.

I think enough Taiwan Beer makes Taiwan Beer taste good.

Lutong Pinoy in The Zone open 7 days from 11am .
Beer 50 NT a bottle, cable TV.
Has any body been to Taiwan brewery’s new bar yet in Bade Road ?

[quote=“WolvesMon”]Lutong Pinoy in The Zone open 7 days from 11am .
Beer 50 NT a bottle, cable TV.
Has any body been to Taiwan brewery’s new bar yet in Bade Road ?[/quote]

WHere is the Zone located?

Those that are on josefus’ list :smiley: and actually those that are out of business :laughing: , are :stuck_out_tongue: for sale, been sold :s or going to the wall soon :bravo:

Those that are on josefus’ list :smiley: and actually those that are out of business :laughing: , are :stuck_out_tongue: for sale, been sold :s or going to the wall soon :bravo:[/quote]

…and those that listen to and pander to the ‘cheapest’ customer. Well said Taverncaptain. :bravo:

(Bet some of you thought we couldn’t agree on anything… :stuck_out_tongue: )

The Tapas on Heping West Road is fairly cheap. For cheap beers though a restaurant is the best bet. Nothing like sitting in a nice restaurant drinking HUGE beers for next to nothing and then going to a pub and paying four times as much for the same thing.

On the other hand, I did just that last Saturday and the Staurday before, and the Saturday before…

Any other suggestions?

No! :smiley:

The cheapest bar is the one that isn’t there anymore and has a bunch of flummoxed failed economics students standing outside in rags.

Other than that (echoing TC) No! :smiley:

I figure that I work at a job paying at least twice the national average so that I don’t have to drink in ‘the cheapest’ bar. What’s wrong with paying a little more for a pleasant environment and good service, and perhaps even being able to get gasp a quality beverage of your choice?

After all, if you can’t afford a little luxury then what the hell are you doing here? If you have to scrimp and save and are in such dire financial straits that an extra few NT$ really matters to you then you’re probably doing something wrong. If price matters that much then lay off the booze for a while and sort your life out.

Some interesting responses to the OPs questio.

All the way from some suggestions that actually answer his Q to comments regarding his financial planning abilities.:unamused:

Quite interesting. Ask a simple Q about a ‘cheap bar’ and you get your personal compass spun.

Sorry guys…its a simple fucking Q that is asked in every city around the world. If it pisses you off or ruffles your 'Oh So Fancy Feathers" then perhaps you are the ones that need your perogatives re-aligned.
Oh, and get this, some people dont need to have their drinks at the latest Fab See & Be Seen spot. A good cheap neighborhood bar is plenty for some of the un-washed masses. Imagine that!

Of course I drink Taiwan Beer and do it at home. I guess that begs the legitamacy of my NT$0.02.

Loretta does. Not everyone has seen her bare buttocks yet.

The OP is a good friend of mine and has posted questions on this site regarding his Filipino wife and the difficulties he currently has regarding getting her into this country. Consequently he’s broke. So, for me at least, its understandable that he’s looking for somewhere cheaper to unwind from his stresses and partake of a beer or two…

No need to rub the poor guy’s nose in it… :noway:

Allring, allright! Tell OP to come to the Tavern Premier and I will buy him some Swiss Cherrie Brandy (Kirsch). As I would not do that everyday, the cheapest Beer you can drink is at the Taipei Brewery Pub on Pa Deh Road (near the Indian Beer house) they only sell Taiwan Beer (the good stuff on draught). It is 50NT$ for 400cc. It is a very odd place, the most tasteless decoration but a huge garden, two big flat screens that are never on. There is a central cashier, you got to pay first and then walk to the bar, show the “Fapiau” and then someone will eventually poor you a beer. Best is you go in a group, there are lovely people there that parked their yellow cars illegally on the road and play those funny games where you hear ssss.ssss a lot. Also, non of the waiters which are mostly retired brewery workers speaks a word of English.

[quote=“Roach”]The OP is a good friend of mine and has posted questions on this site regarding his Filipino wife and the difficulties he currently has regarding getting her into this country. Consequently he’s broke. So, for me at least, its understandable that he’s looking for somewhere cheaper to unwind from his stresses and partake of a beer or two…

No need to rub the poor guy’s nose in it… :noway:[/quote]

Oh pardon me. 6000 members of this site and I somehow failed to take notice of your mate’s difficulties. How was I to know about his unique difficulties?

Still, armed with this new information, let me try again.

When I was first in Taiwan I was broke and under stress. My solution was to focus on solving my problems and not to waste money on beer. Sorry if that’s not something you wish to contemplate, but it’s the best advice I have to give. Save your money.

If you really need a beer then how far are you from the nearest 7-11? Is there any reason why you can’t invite your friends around and have a quiet beer or two at home? Why do you have to go out?

Speaking personally I go out to enjoy the environment which some thoughtful soul has provided for me to enjoy my drinking in. If it was just about the drinking then I would stay home, but it’s not. It’s about the place. Usually there’s a cost to the host in providing the environment, which is what justifies the higher price of the drinks. You want the environment without the price? How does that work?

My local convenience store has tables outside. Would that suffice for you?

I have a friend who spends his Sundays chasing domestic helpers in places he refers to as ‘Little Indonesia’ and ‘The Little Philippines’. Would that be more to your taste? The beer is apparently cheap enough to attract people who earn a lot less than the average Taiwanese, so maybe that would be what you’re looking for?

Personally I would want more from a bar, and accept that I would have to pay for it. Since you asked for ‘cheapest’ I assume that there is not actually any requirement to consider quality, or value for money. This I find very hard to understand and quite saddening, but it’s your life so I’ll spare you the lecture and leave you with this.

I recently paid NT$90 for a PINT of Bacardi and Coke in a bar in Taipei. I challenge anyone to find a cheaper bar. The week before I paid NT$600 for a whole bottle of Captain Morgan Spiced Rum. These prices are not standard, and I frequently pay more at the same establishment - but not ridiculously more. I don’t go out at peak times when drinks are expensive, I go out during happy hours or when other specials are on offer and I get additional discounts and/or free drinks at several places because I’m a regular customer.

I bet you that the average cost of my drinks is no more than the average cost of drinks at ‘cheaper’ places. But I enjoy more quality. So I stand by my comments.

No hard feelings. If you’re in Taipei next week then come to the happy hour and take advantage of the 2 for 1 deal. Drinks don’t get much cheaper than that, so I’ll take the opportunity to buy you one.

You have quoted me so I will assume that everytime that you say you in your post you are refering to me. To be honest, it would be a lot easier to respond if I didn’t feel like you were addressing me directly… Was that your intent?

Mmmmm! Does that excuse your patronising attitude to a simple request for information on where someone should go for some cheap beer and good company? Methinks not.

So, what should the OP do? Go home alone with a bottle of Koaliang? Stay at home and talk to noone? The whole point is finding somewhere to spend some time relaxing with other people, chatting over a beer, and saving money by drinking somewhere cheap. Is there anything wrong with that?

[quote=“Loretta”]If you really need a beer then how far are you from the nearest 7-11? Is there any reason why you can’t invite your friends around and have a quiet beer or two at home? Why do you have to go out?

Speaking personally I go out to enjoy the environment which some thoughtful soul has provided for me to enjoy my drinking in. If it was just about the drinking then I would stay home, but it’s not. It’s about the place. Usually there’s a cost to the host in providing the environment, which is what justifies the higher price of the drinks. You want the environment without the price? How does that work?

My local convenience store has tables outside. Would that suffice for you?

I have a friend who spends his Sundays chasing domestic helpers in places he refers to as ‘Little Indonesia’ and ‘The Little Philippines’. Would that be more to your taste? The beer is apparently cheap enough to attract people who earn a lot less than the average Taiwanese, so maybe that would be what you’re looking for?

Personally I would want more from a bar, and accept that I would have to pay for it. Since you asked for ‘cheapest’ I assume that there is not actually any requirement to consider quality, or value for money. This I find very hard to understand and quite saddening, but it’s your life so I’ll spare you the lecture and leave you with this.

I recently paid NT$90 for a PINT of Bacardi and Coke in a bar in Taipei. I challenge anyone to find a cheaper bar. The week before I paid NT$600 for a whole bottle of Captain Morgan Spiced Rum. These prices are not standard, and I frequently pay more at the same establishment - but not ridiculously more. I don’t go out at peak times when drinks are expensive, I go out during happy hours or when other specials are on offer and I get additional discounts and/or free drinks at several places because I’m a regular customer.

I bet you that the average cost of my drinks is no more than the average cost of drinks at ‘cheaper’ places. But I enjoy more quality. So I stand by my comments.[/quote]

You have said nothing in this last quote that most people that have been here six months don’t already know… So why say it?

From what I’ve read you totally missed the point! Noone was asking where, why, and what you spend on going for a beer. Methinks you’ve gone way :offtopic:…

Even I understand that the OP is simply asking where to go, to have a beer, meet some people, have a chat and a good time in a civilised environment, without spending a bucket load of dosh.

Your earlier post was nothing more than a gloat! We all like to gloat but sometimes its really NOT cool…

Seeing as you seem to be refering to me in your post I shall hold you to that :smiley:

I guess it falls to old bob to lay it on the line again. Pubs are a rip off. The money they spend on decor and service does not justify the prices they charge. For those of us not making a fortune that can be pretty annoying, especially when all we want is a well ventilated place with some comfortable chairs, good music and a funky decor. There is no reason it needs to be so expensive.

Note - I’ve never run a bar so I be completely wrong about this. If anyone wants to clue me in as to the expenses of doing so please feel free.