Cheapest / Best way to get to TPE from Taipei

OK, I checked on this through the forums but was unable to find it…
Can someone point me to or tell me the cheapest way to get to TPE from Taipei?

Sorry if this is a post on a topic covered already… please just point me to a link if there is already one.

Thanks my friends! :smiley:

TPE is the airport code for Chiang Kai Shek International Airport in Taoyuan. Are you asking how to get from the airport to Taipe City?

If so, then the cheapest would be Kuo Kuang Airport bus that drops you off at Taipei Main Station. Cost NT$120. Other buses like E-GO, Airbus etc will cost you NT$140 but will drop you off at various hotels in the city.

Limos from the airport to any destination in Taipei City will run around NT$1300+. I think the last time I heard, they’ve raised it to NT$1800 :astonished:

And welcome :slight_smile:

I always use Airbus. Your inquiry was how to GET to the airport. Airbus has stops all over the place but I am not familiar with the ones actually in Taipei. I catch the bus out of Banciao, south of the city. The previous poster quoted 140 NT which is accurate. They will also load and unload your luggage in the underbelly of the bus. As a side note, be sure to tell the driver which ariline you want. There are 2 terminals and all international flights out used to be out of one terminal but that recently changed so be sure to get off at the correct terminal.

Oops, in that case then reverse what I said. Kuo Kuang is still the cheapest from Taipei Main Station. Everyone can get to there. If I use Airbus, which I have, I take it from the Howard Hotel, Fuxing Rd and Renai Rd intersection.

This is just what I needed!
Is there a specific place to catch these buses at Tapiei Main Station?

S.

Yes. There’s a bus station on Zhongxiao W. Road a few minutes’ walk to the west of the train station.

How many people take limos? My guy usually charges NT$1,200 for an S-class Merc or equivalent one-way to the airport, and NT$700 more for a drop-off and return. Can it be done any cheaper, given a taxi is NT$900?

Credit card holders can often get a good deal, not sure how much.

Last time I took a taxi it was NT$1,000, told it was a standard rate, mind you I did have the poor sod whisk me across town from Yong He first.

HG

Yellow taxi’s take you to CKS airport for NT$900? :astonished: :blush: The black limo services I’ve taken all quote about the same as yours. There’s one who’s our family airport guy and he’ll do the RT to CKS for NT$1600. One one is NT$900-1000. Usually a Merc but sometimes a Cefiro. He also has a van for the extra large family size.

I’ve heard NT$1000 is standard for a cab-ride to CKS from Taipei.

Not worth it IMHO. The buses are just as fast and comfortable, for a fraction of the cost.

Taxis might have gone up. Buses won’t pick you up from outside Carnegie’s and wait for you to finish your pint. :wink:

[quote=“Chris”]I’ve heard NT$1000 is standard for a cab-ride to CKS from Taipei.

Not worth it IMHO. The buses are just as fast and comfortable, for a fraction of the cost.[/quote]

I usually get a cab on the street and I’ve always been able to negotiate a ride for $700.

It is WELL worth it IMHO. Especially when I’ve got to be at the airport at 6AM. To get a bus, I have to drag all my luggage through the MRT to get to an Airport bus stop and then get in a line and wait for a bus. It’s terribly inconvenient!

I know a cabbie who drives a nice, clean roomy benz who will do the CKS run for 1000 (unnegotiated) and for a day in Taipei at 500/hr.

Oiks! I knew Taiwan had made me too soft on haggling on my first trip to Shenzhen . . . but haggling with cabbies in Taiwan? Duh! Why didn’t I think of that?

HG

When does the first airport bus leave from Taipei? I’ve got a flight to catch at 7:20AM on the 28th. I’d prefer to take a bus around 5:00-5:30AM to get to the airport in time to check in, but if that’s not possible I guess I’ll suck it up and take a taxi. (Moreover, as I live in Yilan, I’m taking a 3AM train to get to Taipei. What a way to start a vacation.)

Sorry I know this is late but for future reference, Kuo Kuang starts at 5am. I’ve taken their ~5:30am bus to CKS in time for the 7:30am ish flights. NTD 125. Right across from the Taipei Main Station/Shinkong Mitsukoshi.

What about getting from the airport to Taipei? Last time I caught a taxi they charged NT$1700 (to Mujia)! I tried to negotiate, but couldn’t - and was tired. Any ideas other than the bus?

Try to call up one of the taxi services posted in another thread and see what they’d charge you for. The taxi limo service from CKS to Taipei has gone up a lot. A couple of years ago they were NTD 1,200-1,300. Now it’s prohibitive. Calling in advance with a driver you know saves a lot. Otherwise, it’s the bus all the way. Plenty to choose from depending on your location to the MRT station you need to get on.

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Credit card holders can often get a good deal, not sure how much.

Last time I took a taxi it was NT$1,000, told it was a standard rate, mind you I did have the poor sod whisk me across town from Yonghe first.

HG[/quote]

Funny route. Why not just go on the motorway?

Sorry, should have explained, I had to dart across town to pick up the air ticket (from Yong He to Minsheng). Half way over with the clock and meter running I just asked, “how much to the airport? Oh yeah, I wanna smoke.” He stopped the meter, we pulled into a 7-11 and I picked up some beers and we cruised. Sweet deal.

HG