Cheapest way to send 1 million NT to Euros? Without losing so much in fees

We’re talking about 1 million NTD, not 1 million USD/EUR. Involving an account is probably an avoidable expense in that case.

Oh, good times - now we’re almost down to 30 :cry:

1 Like

I’ve used this method half a dozen times, some smaller amounts but also amounts similar to OP. BTC transactions are very fast ~10 min. Network fee is generally around $80nt. Sure it’s not for everyone but if you have the means, with good exchanges, I believe it’s the cheapest method.

Sure you’ll need to check with your local laws and bank. Personally I’ve never had any problems. The BTC exchange in Taiwan did call to confirm before sending to the bank account, that was the first large transaction I had done. For me at least this is more convenient, as I can do everything from home on my computer. Anyways just another option to be aware of.

I used OFX to convert transfer U.K.£ to Taiwan $nt to Taiwan bank was best rate I could get.
Was simple enough no charge and higher the sum the better exchange.

What exchange do you use? Binance? So you transferred NTD into your account with them and then changed it into BTC?

What kind of exchange rate did you get? Was it equivalent to converting NTD to USD and then USD to BTC, but without the extra overhead?

It was my understanding that crypto exchanges commonly ask 0.x% of the overall amount in fees on every transaction. Could you comment?

For curiosity, can you please advise what bank OFX used to send the TWD to your Taiwan Bank account?

1 Like

Sorry for late reply Barclays U.K. to Bank of America US to Cathay Taiwan

1 Like

Just wanted to post this somewhere:

Exchange rates in fact do differ between banks in Taiwan.

Just one example right now:

Cathay bank:

vs. ESUN:

If I would exchange 1 million NTD into EUR right now, ESUN would give me EUR 31,201.24 while Cathay would give me 31,046.25

For comparison (screenshot taken 6min later):

1 Like

Before someone posted an app that will show the rates for all the banks and find the best one for you

1 Like

In this thread? Do you still have the link / posting?

I think in this thread, but I don’t have it

https://www.moneydj.com/iquote/iQuoteExchange.djhtm

You would want the lowest number for 銀行賣出(即期), but some banks provide online/app rates, which are better.

they do, I find Cathay to be among the best for USDTWD. HSBC more expensive, CTBC slightly more expensive.

For EUR only used HSBC, TWD to EUR, it was not too bad, a 50bps markup.

Wise came to my attention just recently, thanks to @meishijia

And you’ll always get the mid-market rate.

1 Like

You’re quoting me from 10 months ago. Also:

(i) Wise isn’t a bank.
(ii) There’s a whole other thread about Wise. I’ve been using it for years.
(iii) You don’t get the mid-market rate. Wise also charges fees, which are often favorable compared with banks, but it’s a disingenuous marketing claim to suggest they’re giving you the mid-market rate. They’re not. They’re just calling their offset from the mid-market rate a “fee” instead.

4 Likes

OK thanks for the clarification.

Do you know any other bank or EMI that gives better rates than Wise for changing currency?

If I did, I probably wouldn’t have been using Wise for so long. :upside_down_face:

Their rates/fees are reasonable as far as I’m concerned, I’m just saying they’re not really mid-market (not least because it wouldn’t make sense for them to do that as a company).

Wise for individuals is probably the best solution. No company gives the midrate, that’s the bottom line.

For million dollars trades can might go in the range of 5bps over the market midrate, that’s literally their operating income.