Cheating Employer

I’m writing on behalf of my Japanese girlfriend who was promised a raise in pay after three months of 3,000 NT. Her boss, however, has now suggested that it be 6 months,which he will shorten to 5 months. It seems he’s clearly trying to shaft her for a couple of months worth of raise.

Why on earth he would do this is a little bizarre as he only stands to make the grand sum of 6,000 NT. It might be because the g/f brought up the fact he had promised this after it failed to materialize in her pay packet. He’d obviously failed to tell the accounts department and this might be a way to save a bit of face?

The very worst of it in my opinion - and my girlfriend’s - is that when he was shown the actual email evidence, of him writing to her to say the pay would increase after three months, his response was to say that the girlfriend had written it. What a confused fool. He first suggests she wrote it, then offers her a raise at 6 months, shortened to 5 months. How insulting and unprofessional is it to accuse your employee of trying to cheat you via a fabricated email. If it was that easy we’d all be producing emails to our employers pointing out the bit where they said we could have a raise and 3 months vacation a year. Lying cheap ass scumbag. And the offer of a raise at 6 months is a clear admission that it was on the table in the first instance. Seriously, who first accuses their employee of trying to obtain a raise via a fraudulent email and then actually offers them a raise.

Anyhow, that bit of venting aside, any comments or helpful suggestions on how to deal with this situation would be welcome. She wrote back to him to offer a counter proposal of 4 months until the pay raise. That was last Friday the 4th and so far she’s heard nothing from him. She’s now preparing herself to look for another job :frowning:

She already has the right idea. In his accusations of fraud and forgery, her boss has shown his true colours. Does she really expect him to somehow improve? To magically turn into something other than a filthy, small, pissant wretch?

Really should be her boss looking for a new job, but incompetence, blame game, lying etc seems a requirement in most managerial positions

In some countries there is a labor law which says that if you quit your job because actions of fellow employees makes it impossible for you to continue working there then you are entitled to be compensated for this

The first rule of saving face: If you can’t lie your way out of a situation, go on the offensive.

She already has the right idea. In his accusations of fraud and forgery, her boss has shown his true colours. Does she really expect him to somehow improve? To magically turn into something other than a filthy, small, pissant wretch?[/quote]

Yep, I’m disturbed that she’s working for a guy who would act in this way. I’m going to suggest to her that she wait him out until the next pay packet and see what he does. I’m wondering if he might not just go ahead and pay her the raise without another word.

And in the meantime, job hunt…

Dishonest Chinese boss? What’s new?