Cheating US veterans out of benefits?

Military Money for College: A Reality Check

57% of Military Personnel Who Signed Up Have Received Nothing

Average Net Payout to Veterans: Less than $2200

This article is based on research done by Peacework Co-Editor Sam Diener and intern Jamie Munro.
[i]
The advertisements blare: Join the military and receive $70,000 for college! This bonus program, known as the Montgomery GI Bill - Army/Navy College Fund, is in reality, according to an August 27, 2004 press release from the US Army Recruiting Command, only available to those who qualify with high test scores, sign up for what the military deems “critical” military specialties (critical usually means hardest to fill and least desirable), and enlist for at least six years of active military duty. Approximately 95% of those who enter the military are not eligible for this maximum amount.

In fact, 57% of the veterans who signed up for the Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) have never seen a penny in college assistance, and the average net payout to veterans has been only $2151. Primarily, the low average net is the result of the many military personnel who the Department of Defense (DoD) declares ineligible, and of the challenges faced by veterans trying to access the promised money even if they are eligible.
[/i]
Read the rest of the article:

afsc.org/pwork/0506/050607.htm

I went through 4 years of BA study and 2 years doing my MA on the GI Bill. I got a full tuition deferment, all I could buy at the school store (that was fun) and 220$ a month in living expenses.

One reason many people do not receive the benefits is because they do not attend college. AFAIK you still have 10 years to use up the money, and the amount you can receive depends on how much you put in. Maybe the average net payout is low because they drop out…

from the article:

So, you can opt out of the deduction…most guys and gals do not. You do have to fulfill a time requirement, but hey, when you sign up for 4 years, you’re supposed to give four years, and have an honorable discharge.

BTW, DB, you choice of title is complete horseshit. You say they’re cheating them? Prove it!

I received every penny they promised me.

better than Canada, we HAVE TO go to RMC (Royal Military College) unless the program is not offered there and only than can we take in our own choice of skules :frowning:

[quote=“jdsmith”]I went through 4 years of BA study and 2 years doing my MA on the GI Bill. I got a full tuition deferment, all I could buy at the school store (that was fun) and 220$ a month in living expenses.

One reason many people do not receive the benefits is because they do not attend college. AFAIK you still have 10 years to use up the money, and the amount you can receive depends on how much you put in. Maybe the average net payout is low because they drop out…

from the article:

So, you can opt out of the deduction…most guys and gals do not. You do have to fulfill a time requirement, but hey, when you sign up for 4 years, you’re supposed to give four years, and have an honorable discharge.

BTW, DB, you choice of title is complete horseshit. You say they’re cheating them? Prove it![/quote]

Which GI Bill are you referring to? I also collected education benefits under the Vietnam-era GI Bill, which expired decades ago. There have been others. The original GI Bill expired in 1956. Scaled back versions were offered to veterans of the Korean and Vietnam Wars, and today, a law known as the Montgomery GI Bill (which is much stingier than previous programs) is the only thing on offer to veterans of the Iraqi War.

Some info about the Montgomery GI Bill right from the horse’s mouth:

usmilitary.about.com/cs/educatio … vemgib.htm

Yes, I think “cheating” is the appropriate word, because young recruits are being misled into thinking that they are going to get 10s of thousands of dollars in educational benefits. Most get nothing, and those who do collect only get a fraction of what they thought they were qualified for. It’s bait-and-switch, and a pretty dirty trick to lure young people into enlisting.

cheers,
DB

I don’t see how it’s bait and switch when the rules and regulations are clearly spelled out.

And again, show me where you think it’s cheating, with a specific example.

Seriously, I just read the site you provided again…all the rules are right there…

jds

The Viet Nam/Korea Era G.I. Bill expired in August 1986. Veterans of that era had until then or10 years from their discharge to complete enrolled programs. After that point the G.I Bill switched to a % matched of funds contributed by the veyeran while on active duty. The finds contributed by the gov’t could be as much as, I believe, $25,000 per year total. A tidy chunk for most.
I would be among the last to say the VA is a high-speed low drag group; but its been my personal experience that they do a pretty fair job considering the roadblocks thrown up by the anti-military groups in the Senate & Congress. And when trouble seems insurmountable there is always the very effective red-tape cutter known as “A call to my representative.” They love to get local press from helpig a local Vet deal with the ‘big bad Gov’t beauracracy.’ Of course they are a part of this, but a call from their office seems to magically part the waters of confusion - paperwork wise.

This type of articles are pure BS scare tactics, IMO.
The groups that come up with this crap could give a damn less about any :veterans." This is just another manifest of the anti-military, anti-USA Gov’t brain fart cartel.

We didn’t have a GI bill when I was in in the mid 80s. I had the Airman’s Educational Assistance program and I had to put in money and the Gov’t would match it 2 for 1. I maxed out the contributions and when I got out I got about 300$ a month while I went to school full time. This new program sounds a lot better.

I always recommend service if someone asks me, but my advice is always not to believe a word the recruiter says. They are all lying SOBs. But the military treats people fairly in my opinion.

[quote=“Richardm”]We didn’t have a GI bill when I was in in the mid 80s. I had the Airman’s Educational Assistance program and I had to put in money and the Gov’t would match it 2 for 1. I maxed out the contributions and when I got out I got about 300$ a month while I went to school full time. This new program sounds a lot better.

I always recommend service if someone asks me, but my advice is always not to believe a word the recruiter says. They are all lying SOBs. But the military treats people fairly in my opinion.[/quote]

Bingo.

I was in from 1985-88. And the VA was always there with tons of red tape and always some miraculous sob who knew every route around and/or through them. :slight_smile:

Don’t get me started on health care. :fume: