Cheating

If the students don’t, the school will.

I have a student that can barely write his name. He didn’t fill out one single answer on the last test. The tests were stapled to the communication books and somehow he mysteriously got 95% !. Meanwhile, students that try very hard and actually do homework, and participate in class, but missed some questions got worse scores. I was not happy to say the least.

Good idea! Lets coddle them, cheat for them, and quickly send them on to the next class where they will surely have no chance.

[quote=“Homey”]If the students don’t, the school will.
Good idea! Lets coddle them, cheat for them, and quickly send them on to the next class where they will surely have no chance.[/quote]

Don’t worry, they’ll continue at the next class too. Some of what we consider ‘cheating’ is just a form of cooperative learning. Different cultural interpretations. Let the slow ones copy from the fast ones; it makes your job more efficient and relaxed.

Sorry, but I completely disagree.

Cheating is cheating.

Copying from the kid next to them is not going to help them learn, and neither is filling in the answer for them and giving a high score.

Community/cooperative learning is great, but cooperative testing is a waste of time. The kids they are copying from will not be sitting next to them their whole lives. Much wiser to honestly appraise them so they can be placed in the right classes and get the attention and time they need to succeed.

What I can’t fathom is the absolute transparency of cheating in these here parts. And how cheaters more often than not do not even try to cheat from a smarter source, but merely from whatever source is most easily obtained. It would seem that the motivation is not primarily to get a better grade, but rather sheer sloth and the desire to not appear an ignoramus.
If one is going to cheat, one should at least try to do it well, and from a knowing source.

***EDIT: Interesting case in China, quite the scheme gone awry…

[quote] Eight parents and teachers who used hi-tech equipment to help children cheat in Chinese college entrance exams have been sent to prison.

They were given sentences of six months to three years after being found guilty of obtaining state secrets.
news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7980607.stm[/quote]