Check out this Ebay Auction

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi … 3146042998

This guy was trying to auction off his exwife’s ‘beanie babies’. The description is hilarious. Bidding started at US$10 and ended at over $800.

The WSJ’s “Best of the Web Today” column has been following it for the last couple of days:
opinionjournal.com/best/?id=110004252
opinionjournal.com/best/?id=110004256

The buyer apparently got royally screwed because the “rare” beanies she’d bid so much to get were fakes, and the seller apparently lied about damn near everything (not a sailor, not divorced, not getting revenge on his ex-wife, the beanies weren’t as represented, the “collectible” beanies were fakes, and so on).

It’s actually a pretty bad example of EBay fraud, reminiscent of the one a year or so back, where a guy put up a painting on EBay, then started rumors about it being by some rare European artist to drive up the price. He got nailed just as the auction was about to close, fortunately. I hope the buyer on this auction can get her money back.

That really sucks, and I hope she gets her money back, but I also have a hard time understanding why anyone would want to spend that kind of money on a bunch of beanies.

Hilarious link, BH. US$860 for 26 stuffed animals – if the seller lived in Taiwan, he could buy 574 bottles of Taiwan draft (green bottle, no preservatives) with that money. Who needs tools?

[quote=“HakkaSonic”]Hilarious link, BH. US$860 for 26 stuffed animals – if the seller lived in Taiwan, he could buy 574 bottles of Taiwan draft (green bottle, no preservatives) with that money. Who needs tools?[/quote]After drinking 574 bottles, who would be able to operate a tool ?

Overpriced real rare beanie babies

Now you see why someone was taking the chance.

:bulb: oh am I ever gonna be rich!

410 US$ 1,500 US$ !!!

note that the “Thank You Bear - Ty Beanie Baby” (left) sells for merely 410 US dollars.

while the “Billionaire Bear 5 - Ty Beanie Baby” (right) sells for a whopping 1,500 US. Now that’s quite a price difference. But consider that…

Any fool can tell that the two are virtually the same bear, except that the cheap one has a heart sewn on its chest. Remove the heart and voila “thank you bear” becomes “billionaire bear.” All I need is a couple thousand dollars start-up money, I buy myself some sonically-sealable, tamper-proof cases and I’m laughing all the way to the bank. hahahahahah ha ha ahhaha aha ha ha… ahhhhhhh ahem :?

This could bring peace to the Korean peninsula. Instead of relying on hard cash from selling missiles, the North could get into the big leagues and counterfeit beanie babies.

Quite the opposite. The North Koreans, according to secret documents found on a skinny refugee found behind the couch in the Chinese Embassy, Pyongyang is stuffing over-fermented kimchi into beanie babies and packing them in the nosecone of their tactical nukes.
This will give “rain of fire” a whole new meaning.

:unamused:

Are there really grown people out there who are this pathetic?

:unamused:

Are there really grown people out there who are this pathetic?[/quote]

No kidding. Why would you collect beanie babies, when there’s great stuff like this out there for less than a hundred bucks?

The one on the left looks more like Princess Diana :laughing:.

I think I’d worry more that this person can hear voices from 1500+ stuffed animals…and acts on their requests.

[quote=“HakkaSonic”]
No kidding. Why would you collect beanie babies, when there’s great stuff like this out there for less than a hundred bucks?[/quote]

What about these?

Now I would pay $860 for Stacy.

[Moderator’s warning: link not suitable for opening at work]

Edited to add:

[Response to Moderator’s warning: depends on what kind of work you do :wink: ]

More news about the beanie babies:

sun-sentinel.com/features/pr … 6349.story
traderlist.com/DrunkenSailor-SteveKaye.html

Seems he’s a naughty boy