Checking scooter history

Hey guys,

Does any kind of system exist in Taiwan for checking whether a second hand scooter/car is stolen or involved in any major accidents before buying?

Back in the UK you can have these checks done by one of the big automobile associations. What about Taiwan?

I don’t think that there is a database of accidents.

At the time of transfer of ownership the DMV computers should show whether a vehicle has been stolen. But a couple of people have recommended going to a police station and asking them to check beforehand.

My brother-in-law here told me that when he would buy a used car here he would contact his friend (actually another relative I think) who is working for the police. This guy would check out in the police computer if this car was involved in any bigger accident. He said that every bigger/more serious accident has to be told to the police by law (not such things like just scratches in the paint or so…).
But we all know how “by the law” works here sometimes but that’s another topic.
I also don’t know if it works if you just go to a police station and ask or if you need to have a friend there (the chinese way :wink: who can have a look in.

Another thing to bear in mind is that a good mechanic can often tell by inspecting a vehicle whether it has been involved in a major accident. I believe that it’s difficult to cover up traces entirely.

Thanks guys… I’ll bear all this in mind. I’m only really interested in whether it’s stolen to be honest.

[quote=“llary”]Hey guys,

Does any kind of system exist in Taiwan for checking whether a second hand scooter/car is stolen or involved in any major accidents before buying?

Back in the UK you can have these checks done by one of the big automobile associations. What about Taiwan?[/quote]

Heard rumours of a certificate of “non-stolen” when i was looking at bike export last year.

Dunno where you’d find it though…

The police can check for you in no time. I did it with two of my bikes. They can tell you how many owners the bike/scooter has had since it was first sold. Make sure they also look at the serial number on the bike and not just at the registration papers. Usually they do.

bobepine