Checklist for old Sentra

I’d make an offer on such a car if you were going to sell. Back home, we use cars that are 30, 40 years old, and don’t receive half the care you mention have lavished on oldie Sentra.

The one I left back home was an 86, pretty fast and confy, easy to fix, easy to ride. Reliable and cheap. When I move up teh mountain, I’d like to get a car like that.

Strangely enough, my exboss at that time had a Forester, her first car. She always said her husband had given it to her to kill her. :smiley: The thing was, in her hands, heavy and cumbersome, and she tended to let it slip on hills… not for the fainthearted as my country’s “roads” are quite hilly. Alas, as far as I know, it is still with her to this day. Built like a tank. Survived her driving -or learning to drive, better said.

[quote=“sandman”]
Anyway, the dear old ultra-reliable Sentra is going in for its 6-monthly emissions test later today, so we’ll see how it goes.[/quote]

And how did it go? I have a 1.6L Sentra I bought new in 2000. 220 000 km on it. I’ve had no problems until recently. One of the windows decided it was not going back up, and the A/C is acting up a little and cuts out. Comes on again after the car has been sitting for a while though.

[quote=“navillus”][quote=“sandman”]
Anyway, the dear old ultra-reliable Sentra is going in for its 6-monthly emissions test later today, so we’ll see how it goes.[/quote]

And how did it go? I have a 1.6L Sentra I bought new in 2000. 220 000 km on it. I’ve had no problems until recently. One of the windows decided it was not going back up, and the A/C is acting up a little and cuts out. Comes on again after the car has been sitting for a while though.[/quote]
Yours has about double the mileage of mine, I guess. I’ve had a bit of window trouble but nothing too serious. No A/C problems, but the radio sometimes goes haywire, with the volume going up and down. Only lasts a few seconds each time, though.

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“navillus”][quote=“sandman”]

And how did it go? I have a 1.6L Sentra I bought new in 2000. 220 000 km on it. I’ve had no problems until recently. One of the windows decided it was not going back up, and the A/C is acting up a little and cuts out. Comes on again after the car has been sitting for a while though.[/quote]
Yours has about double the mileage of mine, I guess. I’ve had a bit of window trouble but nothing too serious. No A/C problems, but the radio sometimes goes haywire, with the volume going up and down. Only lasts a few seconds each time, though.[/quote]

I had an 8 CD player in mine, but that lasted only a few years, the tape player was next to go. I wasn’t really considering that part of the car though. Left only with ICRT I went and bought a new stereo with a USB outlet. Can take a memory card too. Only 3500NT installed. I bought new seat covers too for 5000NT because the old ones were worn out. Still plan on keeping the old girl for a few more years.

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“navillus”][quote=“sandman”]

Yours has about double the mileage of mine, I guess. I’ve had a bit of window trouble but nothing too serious. No A/C problems, but the radio sometimes goes haywire, with the volume going up and down. Only lasts a few seconds each time, though.[/quote]

A new radio is NT$3-4 K, but do not get an unknown brand one, they are not very good. If the speakers are a bit crunchy, then get them replaced when you are at it. Fixing a 12 year old radio will not pay, I have been down that track.

Window bits on old sentras are cheap, even the electric windows.

Timing belt, all mechanics here have told me when it’s time to get it changed. I had an important belt changed on the T4 this week, NT$8k.

So what are you guys saying? I should attatch pedals to my Sentra? Shouldn’t these posts be split off or something? I’m having to do an awful lot of wading through pointless twaddle here, chaps, which is not terribly energy efficient!

Nope, just dump that piece of %$#% and get a Bentley :roflmao:

Nope, just dump that piece of %$#% and get a Bentley :roflmao:[/quote]
I don’t get how anyone would a car that’s run perfectly for more than 12 years a piece of shit. To me, a piece of shit is a car that you’re constantly spending money on in order to be satisfied with it. I haven’t spent anything on mine except for tyres and services. VERY far from a piece of shit.

Humor seems to evade you unless you are doing it.
I thought that the line " get a Bentley" was clear enough.
Maybe I forgot to write " fuck/ twat" to make sure you would get it.
:stuck_out_tongue:

Quite right. I am a big fan of Sentras for this very reason. I doubt however that if you haven’t spent anything until now that you don’t already need a few suspension parts at least.

Quite right. I am a big fan of Sentras for this very reason. I doubt however that if you haven’t spent anything until now that you don’t already need a few suspension parts at least.[/quote]
Yeah, suspension is a bit boat-like and spongy. But it’s always been like that, really, and I don’t tend to drive fast enough to make cornering feel iffy. The mechanic took a close look at the rubber bits – engine mountings and hoses and suchlike, and said they’re still perfectly fine, as is the suspension. However, its a 1997 car, so its only a matter of time until something goes, even though it only has 97k on the clock. I reckon I’ve had more than my money’s worth out of it, so even if it gives up the ghost completely, I won’t be too broken-hearted. Anyway, there are TWO nice 80s-vintage Rollers under tarps on a bit of waste ground at the bottom of my community. No plates, but haven’t been bao-fei’d, according to the security guards. Wonder how you’d feel about giving them a once-over?.. You could always just ignore the moss growing on the seats. :wink:

Old Sentras are extremely reliable, I had one myself.

Cheap to run too. Sandman should run it as long as possible, that’s my opinion.

Either that or sell it to me!