Cheese

When I say “cheese” I mean any kind of Western (European) style cheese (French, Dutch, Danish, Swiss, Italian, Portuguese, Polish…). I can easily buy a French baguette in a bakery just one lane from my place, but what is a baguette without a slice of Camembert or Rockfort or Gouda or Ementaler or Danish Blue or Oscypek or whatever else…?
I don’t need to buy it in Taichung, every week I am in Taipei, so maybe there?

2 Likes

The various City Supers (in the basement of the Sogo at Zhongxiao Fuxing Station, and the basement of the Sogo at Zhishan Station): these probably have the broadest range of cheeses in their deli section.

The Jason’s (Q-Mall beside Taipei Main Station, Dayeh Takeshimaya Mall in Tianmu, basement of 101).

Many of the Mitsukoshis (新光三越), actually. This will probably work for you in Taichung too.

Carrefours have some cheese selection, especially the Tianmu one (also near Zhishan MRT Station). Carrefour may also work for you in Taichung.

Try this thread, dude/tte: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … lit=cheese

Sorry, I’ve tried with the search but it has given me 0 results. Don’t know why. That’s why I have posted.

1 Like

The various City Supers (in the basement of the Sogo at Zhongxiao Fuxing Station, and the basement of the Sogo at Zhishan Station): these probably have the broadest range of cheeses in their deli section.

The Jason’s (Q-Mall beside Taipei Main Station, Dayeh Takeshimaya Mall in Tianmu, basement of 101).

Many of the Mitsukoshis (新光三越), actually. This will probably work for you in Taichung too.

Carrefours have some cheese selection, especially the Tianmu one (also near Zhishan MRT Station). Carrefour may also work for you in Taichung.[/quote]

Thanks for the hints. Unfortunately Mitsukoshi 5 minutes form here has nothing like cheese. I’ve asked and they’ve looked at me as if I were an UFO.

Costco

Costco: they have french brie, 129 NT for two packs, can keep for months. I always buy 10 packs a time…
In Taipei, you can find all sort of cheese in the places given above, but it costs. Costco tends to be the cheapest.

Costco is a good bet, prices aren’t bad either. Breeze Center (City Supers) or Jason’s in the 101 have tons of stuff, but real expensive. Some Carrefour’s have more selection than others, might have to try a few to find something like you’re looking for.

In Taichung, try Finga’s on Zhong Ming South Road, just a couple of blocks south of Tai Zhong Gang Road.

goo.gl/maps/tpFEk

Breeze Center on Fuxing N. Rd. in Taipei.

Thanks to everybody, I looked at all these locations, with Googlemaps I’ve found 4 Carrefours in the cantral zone of Taichung and also one Costco in Taichung (Costco, No. 289 Wenxin South 3rd Road, Nantun District, Taichung City, Taiwan 408) - the latter is located off the city center, yet the one in Taipei (Neihu) is also quite far from any location I am usually to - and at least going with a bus in Taichung is for free. I’ll check the Finga’s right away tomorrow.

The only place I’ve been able to find Mozzarella (block, not shredded) is in the basement of the Breeze Center.

Has anyone found Mozzarella anywhere else? If so please LMK because Breeze is ridiculously overpriced.

I’m 99% sure I’ve seen it in the Shilin Carrefour at reasonable prices. They usually have a few other cheeses too (proper ones, not HVO+flavourings).

EDIT: I mean the soft stuff packed in water, not the dubious cubes of hard ‘mozzarella’ used for grating onto pizzas.

Costco has block mozzarella. I’ve bought it before.

For those who are looking for good cheese(AOC-AOP),i just open a shop in sanshong.All is traditionnal and very affordable price
Here the link for website and Facebook page.
facebook.com/pages/Les-7-fa … ?pnref=lhc
7familles.com.tw/
I have new product arriving in 2 weeks,we do also ham,saucisson sec from france,chorizo from spain,anyway,feel free to have a look or just call me,it will be my pleasure to guide you :slight_smile:

I just had nice Carrefour soft cheese, name is “La Brique” with a great price NT$130. Its like Brie but mini brick like size. Good to see they are importing French cheap cheese (not cheese for Asian tastes)

[Fromage La Brique Fondante Et Crémeuse CARREFOUR : le fromage de 200g à Prix Carrefour]

https://www.carrefour.fr/p/fromage-la-brique-fondante-et-cremeuse-carrefour-3245411692834

1 Like

Carrefour has some nice cheeses under the Reflets de France brand.

5 Likes

In general the Reflets de France brand is nice for everything. I bought two cheap bottles of sparkling wine (399NT each) down to the in-laws and they really weren’t too shabby.

4 Likes

I agree. They have some really good stuff under that branding. Never been unimpressed so far.

“La Brique” is a nice soft cheese (unpasturized milk, IIRC) at a good price.

1 Like

I loooove carrefour cheese, especially the Saint Nectaire AOP and blue cheese.