Chemical & Biological Weapons in Taiwan?

Does anyone have any knowledge of whether the Taiwan authorities have chemical and biological weapons? I seem to recall that there have been some related articles in the local and international newspapers, but I can’t seem to locate those articles at present.

There may also be some discussion on various websites. If you can provide the relevant URL, I would appreciate it.

Also, would anyone care to comment on whether it is legal for the Taiwan authorities to have chemical and biological weapons? After all, Taiwan could use those in “enforcing” its claims over the Tiaoyutai Islands, or even in response to a threatened PRC invasion . . . . . and that could be quite dis-stabilizing for the political situation in S.E. Asia.

For all your nonproliferation needs:

nti.org/e_research/e1_taiwan_1.html#chemical

Enjoy!

Taiwan is not a member of these conventions. Aside from whether it is desireable for Taiwan to maintain such weapons, I feel that if the world won’t have Taiwan as a member then it shouldn’t feel itself constrained by them if that is in its interest.

Exactly.

If they don’t even let us join, then why do we have obey those rules. Personally I think Taiwan should build chemical, biological, and even nuclear weapons. I think we should also continue to develop medium range ballistic missiles that can reach Shanghai. The U.S. should leave Taiwan alone and stop trying to prevent Taiwan from developing those weapons, cuz look at the enemy, look at Taiwan’s situation, there’s no country in the world that need those weapons more than Taiwan.

Richard,

In response to your question about chemical weapons in Taiwan. They absolutely had them. They were given to them by the Americans about in 1975. Whether they still have them, I don’t know, but I’ve heard from certain personnel that they do.

The chemical weapons were originally stored in Nakang. Then later, they were moved.

How do I know all this? My former boss in the U.S. was the head of their program. After numerous years, he confided in me that he was a chemical weapons officer. I have no reason to doubt what he said because the company that we worked for often had contacts with the people in “the various companies” of the U.S.

Taiwan is not recognized as a country, either by the US or the UN. According to my research, that has a lot to do with the fact that the sovereignty of Formosa and the Pescadores was never transferred to the ROC government . . . . .

Hence, I would have to disagree that Taiwan should be allowed to develop chemical and biological weapons.