Chen invited to Libya(?) Who do you believe?

Who is lying?

• Gadhafi
  • Chen
  • Beats me.

0 voters

Some top members of Chen’s government seem to be either duplicitous or getting a hard lesson on realpolitik (Will they ever learn?).

[quote]Minister of Foreign Affairs Mark Chen (陳唐山) yesterday said that Taiwan will first focus on setting up a representative office in Libya before planning reciprocal visits by Taiwanese and Libyan leaders.

Chen noted that the Taiwan government will also propose memorandums of understanding on Taiwan-Libya cooperation projects and the establishment an office in Libya.

The foreign minister also confirmed that President Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁) had accepted an invitation to visit Libya from that the northern-African country’s leader Moammar Gadhafi when the president met with Gadhafi’s son, Seif al-Islam, on Wednesday.

Mark Chen’s remark was made in response to a newswire report that Libya on Thursday denied that its leader had issued the invitation and reaffirmed its commitment to a pro-Beijing one China policy.

The announcement was made as Chinese Foreign Minister Li Zhaoxing began a two-day official visit to Libya, which is seeking a leadership role in Africa where China has won diplomatic allies away from Taiwan.

“We reaffirm that we recognize only one China,” said Libyan Foreign Minister Mohammed Abdel-Rahman Shalgam in a statement after meeting Li in Tripoli.

He said the report that Libya had invited the Taiwanese president to visit the country was “unfounded” and added: “What links Libya to Taiwan are trade relations … and we reaffirm our principles that we recognize only one China.”[/quote]

tinyurl.com/7b47e (Taiwan News, Sunday Jan 22)

So who is lying?

Hey CSB!
See if Khaddaffi has any BILLY BEER stashed.
Bring me back a case of it!

This Taiwan contact was all a bargaining ploy in Qaddafi’s dealings with the PRC.

I don’t really trust CSB.

But I really don’t trust Qadaffi.

CSB got shafted by international diplomacy (again!).

TFT