Cheng Ho - Singapore/Malaysian Cuisine

A friend introduced me to this restaurant which serves authentic Singaporean and Malaysian cuisine. Note it’s non-halal as the food it’s basically Chinese food.
In fact they do have most of my favorites: Char Kwey Teow (but order very spicy) and Roti Canai!
It’s buffet style during lunch but you actually order the dishes from the menu, as many as you like and you can help yourself out at the salad bar.
Price is NT$450 per person and a big glass of Coke is NT$60 only.
Make sure to come early however, they more or less close the kitchen and salad bar at 2:00pm.

We were a hungry bunch of 6 and ordered basically every dish on the menu and they all tasted good or great. Highly recommended!

Near the junction of ChungHsiao and TaAn Road (close to Sogo):

Cheng Ho
Admiral’s Straits Cuisine
Authentic Singapore and Malaysian Fine Food
No.81, Sec.1 Da-An Road, Taipei
Tel. 2751 6700
Fax 2751 6678

www.chengho.com.tw

I totally agree with Rascal. I like this place a lot. I was so surprised by the format at first. It is basically all you can eat buffet for a set price even at dinner when I went but perhaps that was one option only. However, you order off the menu like a regular restaurant and they bring all of the dishes to your table. Each and every one was fine and tasty. That surprised me the most as I didn’t expect the food to be that great.

Check it out.

I don’t think this place exists anymore ?

There’s another place next to Alleycat’s Neihu called Lau Pa Sat. Hainanese Chicken Rice was good. Fish curry was nice as well. Good enough for the home taste. Owner is Singaporean.

1. One can take Bus 278 to get there.

Aaaah…some of my fondest drunken 3.30 a.m. Singaporean memories stem from that hawkers market near Raffles Place. Just about the only good thing in Nannyland.

Bob

Aaaah…some of my fondest drunken 3.30 a.m. Singaporean memories stem from that hawkers market near Raffles Place. Just about the only good thing in Nannyland.

Bob[/quote]

The hawker centers in Geylang were pretty tasty too.

Bob[/quote]

The hawker centers in Geylang were pretty tasty too.[/quote]

So’s the local “talent”. :laughing:

The Merlion is a relatively new (6 months old) Singaporean restaurant. They can make the dishes suit Singaporean/Malaysian tastes if asked. Head chef is Singaporean.

No. 217 Heping E Road, Sec 2.
Tel: 02-27542267
Hours: 10am - 9pm.
MRT: Near Technology Building. It’s literally located across from the Technology Building.

For us, it was definitely worth going back because the taste was the closest we’ve had to the real deal.

[quote=“Yellow Cartman”]The Merlion is a relatively new (6 months old) Singaporean restaurant. They can make the dishes suit Singaporean/Malaysian tastes if asked. Head chef is Singaporean.

No. 217 Heping E Road, Sec 2.
Tel: 02-27542267
Hours: 10am - 9pm.
MRT: Near Technology Building. It’s literally located across from the Technology Building.

For us, it was definitely worth going back because the taste was the closest we’ve had to the real deal.[/quote]

ate here tonight, ordered the hainan chicken, lemon fish, chicken rice, green papaya salad, shrimp sauce sauteed greens and the laksi soup.

hainan chicken was decent - good texture and not dry at all - but…you can get this kind of chicken all over taiwan. not enough sliced green cucumbers to match the amount of meat given.
lemon fish was okay - small portion but flavorful and fish was not over cooked.
chicken rice was a little too greasy for my tastes, seemed like it was made with pure schmaltz rather than chicken stock
shrimp sauce sauteed greens(we had the 空心採)was okay, good flavor and cooked to perfection. found some veggie roots in dish, not a big problem.
laksi soup - noodle-less version of laksi - good authentic flavor - prob best dish we had. never been a fan of laksi though.
green papaya salad was absolutely disgusting, rubbery spears of green papaya that were set in vinegar ages ago. diced peanuts were not well diced and they were rubbery too. waste of a plate of food.

spent about 700 here. quite disappointed actually.

for what they offer, i’d say merlion would be an okay lunch stop, not worth the money for dinner.

for real singapore/malaysian food i suggest CURRY TALKS in xizhi. truly authentic malaysian dishes prepared by chefs with a discerning eye for quality. never had a bad meal there. ever.

i’ll dig up CURRY TALKS business card tomorrow and post it. tell me if you think merlion even comes close to the CURRY TALKS’ food.

Yes, would like to go check out Curry Talks. This must be the place I heard rumors about.

Didn’t have the dinner, only lunch at Merlion. About 2 months ago I think we ate there as followup but only select dishes and was alright. Possible a big change in personnel or recipes to suit local taste happened.

Curry Talks was in Xizhi, not sure if its still around, great neighborhood joint located in the canyons of some gigantic apartment complex. only 6-8 tables. very quiet and so delicious. a place where local community residents could go for a fantastic malaysian meal.

i found this website: currytalks.com.tw

from what i gather, they have since opened a much more accessible location in Taipei City. Sayang(sp?) near 228 Peace Park.

if the boss from the original Curry Talks is in charge of the food at Sayang, you’re in for a real treat. For Curry Talks he would fly home to Malaysia just to purchase the appropriate ingredients.

Can only assume the new place has unforgivingly authentic food in a better location.

I rarely head out to this area but will have to try this place soon.

address:

Sayang Cafe( 沙洋馬來西亞精緻料理 )
B1 #42 Guan Qian Road Taipei City( 台北市館前路42號B1 )
tel: (02)2311-7027
fax: (02)2311-7028

currytalks.com.tw/map.asp