Chengyu question

Anyone have a nice chengyu for the English saying ‘don’t get mad, get even’?

The best I have been able to come up with so far is 君子報仇三年不晚 which I think is more like ‘revenge is a dish best served cold’.

Any ideas?

This one came to mind “以毒攻毒”. (Yi3 Du2 Gong1 Du2)

Sorry it only applies to “get even” portion but not the “don’t get mad” portion.

hmm…there are some, but not actually 成語, it’s more like idiomas, 俗諺
泥菩薩過江,自身難保 ㄋ一ˊ ㄆㄨˊ ㄙㄚˋ ㄍㄨㄛˋ ㄐㄧㄤ,ㄗˋ ㄕㄣ ㄋㄢˊ ㄅㄠˇ
(it means you are are not able to save others because you can’t even save yourself when trouble comes)

茅坑裡點燈,找死呀! ㄇㄠˊ ㄎㄥ ㄌ一ˇ ㄉ一ㄢˇ ㄉㄥ,ㄓㄠˇ ㄙˇ ㄧㄚ˙
it means “light up a candle in the toilet, then you are looking for " death”. this has pronunciation trick, because 死 and 屎
(sh*t) have a very familiar sound.

豬八戒照鏡子,裡外不是人。 ㄓㄨ ㄅㄚ ㄐㄧㄝˋ ㄓㄠˋ ㄐㄧㄥˋ ㄗ˙,ㄌㄧˇ ㄨㄞˋ ㄅㄨˊ ㄕˋ ㄖㄣˊ
this means "a pig looks into the mirror, neither two side of this mirror appears a person ( a pig in the mirror, and a pig looks into a mirror), we use it when we did something but nobody appreciated. 豬八戒 is the role in 《西遊記》(i think the english name is " The journey to the west)。

[quote=“antonioprincess”]hmm…there are some, but not actually 成語, it’s more like idiomas, 俗諺
泥菩薩過江,自身難保 [/quote]
A mud Bodhisattva crossing a river cannot even save himself.

Thanks for your efforts, but they’re still not quite what I’m looking for. Praps there isn’t anything that really fits in Chinese. Ho hum.

生氣不如報仇 sheng1qi4 bu4ru2 bao4chou2!
(I made that up, but it works for me.)

Thanks DB, I’ve been able to explain the concept, but not come up with a snappy way to say it. I’ll just tell them it’s from the Honglou Meng, no-one’ll bother to check it. :wink:

生氣不如報仇 was snappy!

I’m not denying it! Where’s the soothe-dented-pride emoticon? :wink:

My point (not well communicated) was that you had provided the hitherto elusive snappiness. To-siā!

Cheers!

Oh, the powers that be :wink: tell me this is a bit better than my above:

生氣不如還手 sheng1qi4 bu4ru2 huan2shou3

:blush:

[quote=“Dragonbones”]Oh, the powers that be :wink: tell me this is a bit better than my above:

生氣不如還手 sheng1qi4 bu4ru2 huan2shou3

:blush:[/quote]

Dammit - I’ll never trust you again. :wink:

What about this? Admittedly also made up…, but not as snappy.

何必發脾氣 以冤報冤吧 he2bi4 fa1 pi2qi4 yi3yuan1 bao4yuan1 ba!

oh…I’ve got one…
你給我走著瞧! ㄋ一ˇ ㄍㄟˇ ㄨㄛˇ ㄗㄡˇ ㄓㄜ˙ ㄑㄧㄠˊ