Chewing tobacco

Anything at all?

It’s simple. Buy tobacco, start chewing.

Must have been able to quite by now…
If not, try betel nut. Quite a bit more enjoyble to be honest.

didn’t someone on Forumosa tried to import some and was told by customs that they are not allowed in Taiwan?

You might be thinking of my post a couple of months ago, where some of the snus I ordered got confiscated.

Snus or snuff?

I dont recall it being banned. But i could see the TTL monopoly has a hand in huge impor t taxes. Just a guess.

Snus. The explanation given to me by the customs official was that only three types of tobacco are permitted for import (cigarettes, cigars, and pipe tobacco, IIRC)…and any tobacco products other than those three are banned by default.

Some of the “snus” I ordered was actually tobacco-free nicotine pouches, where the label confirmed that they didn’t contain tobacco. But then these fall under the Pharmaceutical Affairs or Protecting the Tobacco Industry or Whatever Act, so apparently even more restricted than regular snus.

Very interesting, sounds a bit strange. Brought to us by the vape hating lobbiests?

Could be, but I think it’s been restricted for import (when they catch it*) for at least a couple of years, i.e., before the relatively recent strengthening of the rules about importing vaping products. The customs guy seemed quite familiar with what snus is and said he’d seen it before.

I’ve had snus shipments confiscated twice now, so I assume my name and address is on some kind of automated watchlist and don’t intend to order any more for the time being - not sure if they start applying harsher penalties beyond a certain point if someone repeatedly orders restricted items. Part of the issue here might have been that I had a couple of orders come through around the same time owing to shipping delays this year.

(*It would be silly of me to suggest that any of my deliveries have ever made it through, so please let us assume that the two orders I had confiscated were the only two orders I’ve ever made.)

1 Like

Of course just those ordere were caught. Thanks to the brave men and women working at the ports to protect our children.

All joking aside, i doubt they could legally do anything but bluff and scare you, assuming low quantity. It, as far as i know, isnt on the drugs list (controlled subst.) Which points to it being a tax thing more than anythinf. Be it general or health related. So penalties seem unlikely.

With that in mjnd, it would be super easy to buy either raw or cured leaf from a farmer/gardener and make your own. There must be a recycling dealer willing to powder glass, and chemical shops are everywhere and could provide all the other ingredients.

Note to government investigators triggered to read this thread based on keywords: sarcasm.

1 Like

According to Regulations Governing Customs Clearance Procedures for Importing and Exporting Postal Parcels

Article 14

Tobacco: 5 cartons (1,000 pieces) of cigarettes or 125 pieces of cigars or 5 pounds of tobacco.
If other import regulations are applicable to the objects under the previous two paragraphs, such import regulations shall be applicable.

二、菸:捲菸五條(一千支)或雪茄一百二十五支或菸絲五磅

Not include loose snus, loose chewing tobacco.

More the law information u could ask as follows:
高雄 玉X杉X行 075X3X1 2X3X3X3
嘉義 酒X頂X 052X3X0 2X2X6X0
桃園 金X嚎X酒 034X9X3 2X1X2X1
中壢 海X姍X 033X8X6 3X9X5X5