Chi-ghanistan

I would add to my rules “don’t piss off the USA.”

A majority of my Pashto speaking high school students would not agree. But then again, they’re biased. The Taliban lined up their fathers and uncles for driving trucks for the US military and shot them to death.

Of course.
The ones that strongly condemn the Taliban are the ones who will flee the country.

The Taliban murdered their fathers and uncles. They have every reason to flee and despise them. The ones who can’t leave “support” the Taliban.

I’m not disagreeing, but I think you underestimate the appeal of zealotry when living in poverty.

Just because one lives in poverty doesn’t mean one has a poverty mindset.

Anyway, further reading is always good.

First, the Pashtun way of life has traditionally been governed by a secular tribal code, Pashtunwali, which predates Islam and in which the mullah has enjoyed little authority. The code is implemented through another tribal institution, the jirga , a council, which arrives at decisions by consensus and has no head, underscoring the egalitarian nature of Pashtun society. The Taliban have displayed deep antipathy to both of these institutions, which are seminal to the Pashtun way of life. The Taliban have systematically sought to target jirgas and eliminate tribal leadership, supplanting them with mullahs trained in Pakistani seminaries and who have privileged a myopic, Wahabi interpretation of Shariah. Consider, for instance, the fact that soon after their emergence in 1994, the Taliban declared the jirga system to be un-Islamic. Several village elders faced death, paying with their lives for defying the ban on practicing jirgas and living the Pashtunwali code.

I can name one country that armed them…?

Directly?

Yes, I can be very direct when I want to.

i’ll take that as an indirect ‘no’

Look into the author.

Bilquees Daud is currently a lecturer at the Jindal School of International Affairs, O.P Jindal Global University, India. She holds a graduate degree in social sciences from the American University of Afghanistan and a master’s degree in public policy from the Willy Brandt School of Public Policy, University of Erfurt Germany. She has extensive work experience with local and international organizations, universities and research centers in Afghanistan and abroad. She is the author of several research and analytical articles, published by different sources including Project for Democratic Union, BBC Pashto and ACKU Journal and IIC Quarterly. Recently, she has published a book on ‘Education for Peace: Rehabilitating Non-Violent Discourses in Afghanistan’. In this book she drew upon the legacy of Khan Abdul Ghaffar Khan who made pioneering efforts in working to provide education to men and women in the tribal areas of modern-day Pakistan and used non–violence as a potent tool for socio–political mobilization.

OK, look. If you have a point, make it.

1 Like

with a bottom tier publication such as the diplomat, one can’t be too careful

I shouldn’t need to explain it. Where does she come from and what are her goals?

Besides, what are you on about anyways? Are you suggesting the Taliban has little to no support from them?

Most Pushtan tribes willingly accepted Taliban rule in the 90s, and most of the Taliban leaders are Pushtan.

Please explain to me what your trying to accomplish other than shock value.

1 Like

Let’s start back here, guy who joined the forum four whole days ago.

Prove this. Link please.

I mean I can’t figure out why you might think they have the support of their own people. I mean, I just told you my experience with my high school students who are real life Pashto who had real family really gunned down in front of the wives and children.

But here’s what we call “a link” for further understanding:

The UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) has documented a steep uptick in violence and has warned that 2021 could see the most civilian casualties since the agency started keeping records in 2009. It documented 5,183 civilian deaths and injuries [PDF] in the first half of 2021, significantly higher than the total killed or injured during the same period in prior years. Women and children made up a larger proportion of casualties than ever recorded by UNAMA in the first half of a year. Of the many armed groups involved in clashes, the Taliban was responsible for the highest percentage of casualties, at nearly 40 percent. Targeted assassinations and improvised explosive device attacks accounted for many of the casualties. Civilians were also caught in the crossfire between insurgents and government forces. Afghan government forces also caused casualties. No casualties were attributed to international forces.

I don’t care what you believe, and I don’t have anything to prove. Do your own research if you’d like.

Do you need a Cobb salad?

Sounds tasty. Do you deliver?

You’ll have to self serve.

I’m not into the weird shit you are, dude.
Have fun!