Chiang Kai-shek speeches from the 1920s

Hi all,

I am seeking some advice or assistance in locating Chiang Kai-shek speeches (translated to English) from the 1920s. Everything I have tracked down so far (books and sites) is limited to the 1930s and 1940s).

I have seen reference to volumes entitled either ‘The Collection of Chiang Kai-shek’s Speeches and Works’ or ‘The Collection of Chiang Kai-shek’s Speeches and Letters’ but don’t have much hope of getting my hands on a copy.

At the very least, I am highly interested in the lecture Chiang gave on July 9, 1926, Chiang soldiers of the National Revolutionary Army.

It would be extremely helpful if you have any information you can share.

Thank you,

Kai

I didn’t see anything in the National Central Library under that title.

If there is an English translation of the speech on that date, the KMT should have it. You might ask them.

Speech on July 9th

mof.gov.tw/museum/ct.asp?xIt … de=19&mp=1
“中正今茲就職,謹以三事為國人告。第一必與帝國主義者及其工具為不斷之決戰,絕無妥協調和之余地。第二求與全國軍人一致對外,共同革命,以期三民主義早日實現。第三必使我全軍與國民深相結合,以為人民之軍隊,進而要求全國人民共負革命之責任。如我全國軍人有能以救國愛民為職責,不為帝國主義之傀儡者,中正必視為革命之友軍,如能向義輸誠,實行三民主義,共同為國民革命奮鬥者,中正尤引為吾黨之同誌。決無南北珍域之見,更無恩仇新舊之分。若有倚恃武力,甘冒不韙,謀危我革命根據地,抗犯我各省國民革命軍,樂為帝國主義者效忠,不惜陷國家於萬劫不復之地,則必認為全國人民之公敵,誓當摧破而廓清之。”

translated by me, my additions are in brackets.

“Since the inauguration, I, Zhong-Zheng (the old ugly bald bumbler) have told our countrymen 3 things. First, we must endlessly fight against imperialism and those acting as their tools without compromise. Second, we must fight along side our soldiers against enemies from abroad, devote to the revolution together so that the San-Ming-Zhu-Yi will soon be realized. Third, we must foster the bond between soldiers and people, making them the people’s army, and have the people also shoulder their responsibility in the revolution. If any of our nation’s soldiers takes saving our country and loving our people as their duty, and resist becoming puppets of imperialism, I, Zhong-Zheng (the old bald bumbler) consider him as an ally of the revolution. If any soldier can join the righteous cause, practise San-Ming-Zhu-Yi, fight for the national revolution together, I, Zhong-Zheng (the old bald bumbler) considers him among comrades of my party. I’ll put aside North-South regional divides, grudges old and new. If there is any one who will go against the trend, aims to endanger the base of our revolution, resist against national revolutionary army from any province, continues to willingly serve imperialism and puts our nation in grave danger just because they have a militia, will become the enemy of every citizen, and we will swear to destroy and wipe them out.”

That old bald bumbler is the all star of Chinese bumblers. Talk about farting with his mouth. Here’s a “general” who knows nothing about fighting yet insists to micromanage every battle. Thank goodness during Northern expedition he didn’t have the technology to micromanage his troops to death. Give him 20 years he will fly his planes and yell at his troops from the air. With a back stabbing politician like this pretending to be the nation’s all knowing general, no wonder the standard ROC army never managed to win anything bigger than a battle.

Though there is another declaration for Northern expedition on July 4th that’s probably has more to say.

Thank you both very much for your fast responses.

Thanks in particular for your translation hansioux. You’ve cracked me up.

I will look into the 4 July speech and follow up with the KMT for translations.

Cheers.

This post probably won’t be helpful, so you can skip it if you like.

This book appears to contain some English translations of parts or all (I can’t tell which) of some speeches which appear to be early ones, but from the two speeches I looked at (or they may have merely been excerpts from speeches), I don’t think the book identifies them adequately, or dates them or sources them adequately (I could be wrong, though; I looked at the book hastily): archive.org/stream/chiangkaishek … 7/mode/2up

The above link was to the “Read Online” version. Here’s a link that gives you a choice of PDF, djvu, and some other formats I’m not familiar with: archive.org/details/chiangkaishekasi007411mbp

In the “Read Online” version, here’s an example of what the book calls an early speech: archive.org/stream/chiangkaishek … rch/speech

Again, I realize that the above is probably not very helpful. I posted it just in case you can get any use out of it.

I also realize that you want only English translations, but again, just on the off-chance that you can get any use out of it, here is a page with a link to a page that leads to what appear to be Chinese-language versions of Chiang’s speeches: chungcheng.org.tw/thought/

On the page linked immediately above, the seventh link on the left side of that page (the link labeled “演講”) leads to a page with further links that are labeled by years of the Chinese Republic, using Chinese numerals. These links appear to go from 中華民國十三年 (1924) to 中華民國六十三年 (1974). Adding 11 to any of the years of the Chinese Republic will yield the last two digits of the conventional year. Clicking any one of these Chinese-Republic-year links will lead to a page that contains links to what appear to be individual speeches. I don’t know Chinese, so I’m merely assuming that (a) they are speeches, and that (b) they are Chiang Kai-shek’s speeches.

Hope this helps.