Chicago knocked out in first round of 2016 Olympics

I’m truly shocked. I was all in conventional wisdom mode that Obama going to Copenhagen meant the deal was sealed. WTF happened? :ponder:

I don’t think it was convention wisdom. But I guess the Republicans are happy.

It’s torn on the Republican side between those who think it’s a slap in the face of America and those that are crowing over Obama’s personal failure.

I know the IOC is a corrupt organization(Salt Lake City Olympics anyone?) and that there is a negative impact of hosting the Olympics financially in both the short and long term. I’m shocked but ambivalent about the whole thing.

I personally blame Michael Phelps. If the human-dolphin hadn’t been caught being a dope smoker and causing all those girlie men who competed against him even more shame, then we would of had it.

But why would you want it?
Vancouver’s about to host the Winter Olympics, and I couldn’t care less.
I’m glad they’ve finally run the SkyTrain out to the airport, and widened the Sea-to-Sky highway, but other than that… meh.

2 reasons:
Prestige-Beijing
Corruption-Salt Lake City, The Chicago Machine already had all the buildings under ownership that were to be torn down or bought for it.

South Africa screeched an whined about not getting it. No way they could have put it on. Does a Third World country need more debt and less credibility?

so… Rio eh?

The USA had the Olympics in 96 and shit the bed royally.

I love how The Seppos feel ‘robbed’ about this.

South America has never gotten the Olympics before, Rio was a forgone conclusion.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/02/obama-disappointed-at-chi_n_307971.html

“When my baby… when my baby smiled at me I go to Rio…de Janeiro”

I love Rio.

If the Olympics are supposed to be a global event, then it makes sense that they should be held on every continent around the globe. (I’ll understand if they leave out Antarctica.) It’s about time a South American country be given the chance to host the event. Brazil is an emerging economy. More power to 'em.

I respect Obama’s efforts to bring the games to the US, and don’t fault him that it didn’t happen. At least he tried.

Apparently the bid inspection team went through US customs and immigration on their way in, and the whole “post 9/11 paranoia” phenomenon made it "a pretty harrowing experience" for them.

No doubt. I always thought Chicago was never really in the running for this very reason.

The US Department of Homeland Security (sig heil) and its Transportation Security Authority = total buzz kill for US tourism.

I think Chicago seriously overachieved in just making the short list: that was Obama’s real achievement, nothing more than a mercy fuckin’.

I don’t see the big deal: Chicago is Obama’s hometown. Of course he’s going to advocate for it. But if Chicago isn’t picked, it’s not a “failure” on his part: cities are chosen for a variety of reasons, they’re not chosen because a president recommends a city. I mean really, who cares? It’s a one in four chance.

So headlines like this, “Rio wins 2016 Games as IOC rebuffs Obama:unamused:, are ridiculous. One city out of four wins - that’s a mathematical fact. Does that automatically means that the advocates for the other three cities were “rebuffed”? :loco:

I’m glad it’s not Chicago: the US recently hosted the Olympics twice - LA and Atlanta. The host cities should be spread around the world more.

Yea–I wanted Rio, but the emotion downtown today when it was announced was truly sad. Everyone here was heartbroken. But now, it’s on to seeing the political pass off game of “who’s fault was it.” and Daley is gonna be hell to be around the next few months…

Note: It’s not a good thing to use the Cubs slogan(It’s gonna happen) if you want to win.

I’m surprised there’s been so much surprise. Did Americans really think Chicago had a chance?
I remember when the list came out thinking: “So, Madrid, Rio or Tokyo.” Never even crossed my mind that Chicago had a chance.

[quote=“sandman”]I’m surprised there’s been so much surprise. Did Americans really think Chicago had a chance?
I remember when the list came out thinking: “So, Madrid, Rio or Tokyo.” Never even crossed my mind that Chicago had a chance.[/quote]
I’m also happy Madrid didn’t get it. I mean, Barcelona hosted the Olympics recently, did it not? Rio was the logical choice.

[quote=“Chris”][quote=“sandman”]I’m surprised there’s been so much surprise. Did Americans really think Chicago had a chance?
I remember when the list came out thinking: “So, Madrid, Rio or Tokyo.” Never even crossed my mind that Chicago had a chance.[/quote]
I’m also happy Madrid didn’t get it. I mean, Barcelona hosted the Olympics recently, did it not? Rio was the logical choice.[/quote]
And Tokyo and Sapporo have both had 'em, too. I had my money on Rio. And for fuck’s sake! Olympic RIO! Sun, samba, semi-naked ladies… or … erm … Chicago! :roflmao:

I’m surprised Rio doesn’t permanently get the summer Olympics.

Beach Volleyball… I mean, where else but Copacabana Beach? :dance: :beer:

World Cup in 2014 and Olympic Games in 2016 both in Brazil? That’s a bit much for one country, too, I think. Especially for an emerging economy like Brazil. I anticipate they will have huge problems to host both events. Well, it worked in Germany 1972 and 1974, but that’s not how you want to spread the fun around the globe. I wouldn’t have liked Madrid either or Tokyo or Chicago. All on the boring site. A city like Istanbul would have been much more refreshing.