Child born in Mainland to two naturalized ROC (Taiwan) citizens not holding other nationality

ROC issues exit entry permits to Chinese nationals, for travel to Taiwan.

They issue exit entry permits on arrival at kinmen

Also there is a thing called the postal service! Ha ha

First of all, if you support the One China Policy, this doesnā€™t belong in the category of ā€œDual Nationalityā€, and what would you be doing making babies over there if you donā€™t support the One China Policy?

(Unless you mean ā€œnationalityā€ in more or less the same way as the way the translators in the CCP meant it when they came up with the ā€œ56 Chinese nationalitiesā€ line way back when, but I thought in recent years they stopped using that translation because they realized how it sounds in English.)

The other point I want to make is that people who donā€™t have any kind of Chinese ancestry (i.e. not in any of the 56 recognized ethnic groups) have been granted Chinese citizenship in HK, and if Iā€™m not mistaken it has also happened in the Mainland, though it seems those ones keep low profiles (unlike, say, HKā€™s Allan Zeman). I assume it also happens, or can happen, in Macau.

What I want to know is how they deal with the paperwork: when you need to fill out a form listing your ethnicity and can only choose one of the 56, what do you do?

You make a very good point about naturalization being granted in HK (much larger numbers than in the mainland have been naturalized) but HK is not being run by what the PRC government considers to be a rouge government. They have official capacity from the PRC government to grant Chinese nationality. The ROC government on the other hand is considered by PRC to be an illegitimate rogue government and Iā€™m interested in how the PRC views those that have been granted ROC nationality. If naturalized citizens of Taiwan are granted this å°čƒžčƁ then recognition of Chinese naturalization granted by the ā€˜Taiwan authoritiesā€™ is implicit, especially considering the rights and privileges akin to a hukou it gives you in Shanghai. How can the PRC government do this if they donā€™t accept the ROC as a legitimate government of China?

They have a category for naturalized foreigners: 外国äŗŗ加兄äø­å›½ē±

When you said Beijing wouldnā€™t accept naturalized ROC nationals, I assumed you meant the reason why they wouldnā€™t accept them would be the lack of Chinese (Zhonghua minzu) ancestry, rather than the juridical acts of the Taipei regime being invalid just because itā€™s a rogue regime, hence my point about HK. (Those without Chinese ancestry were automatically excluded during the handover, so the ones who didnā€™t qualify for the citizenship of any other country became stateless, even if they were permanent residents.)

But no matter how much the two regimes might despise each other, they still need to deal with each otherā€™s systems, as illustrated by the notarization example given above.

If you happen to find or receive an official explanation of these matters from the PRC government itself, by all means let us know what they think. :slight_smile:

Thatā€™s interesting. An article about African immigrants having mixed children with Chinese mentioned the ethnic group question a few years ago but didnā€™t say whether anyone had found a solution. I suppose a mixed child can simply choose the ethnic group of the non-immigrant parent, but I can still imagine some bureaucratic headaches.

In my sons birth cert they left nationality and ethnicity blank. He was born in China, foreign father Chinese ethnic minority mother. Because we chose an English name they refused his Hukou. The only real significance of ethnic minority status was the right to have a second child. And everyone can do that now anyway, so it isnt really significant anymore.

It would help if I knew how to express myself more clearlyā€¦

Do you know of any naturalized Taiwan citizens holding the å°čƒžčƁļ¼Ÿplease excuse my use of simplified characters.

I think you will find - as a general rule of thumb - that PRC officials donā€™t make a song and dance about Taiwanese not being Chinese. Millions of Taiwanese were ā€˜grantedā€™ Chinese nationality in 1949 and Iā€™ve never heard about the PRC questioning the validity of that. But I guess you never knowā€¦ Iā€™d imagine its quite possible that they would reject a naturalised citizen too, or send you running in some endless catch 22

By the way, 11173, presuming that you are not a PRC citizen and that you are in the PRC now, do you know that you can get booted out of the country for talking about Taiwan, Tibet, or the Falun Gong online? It like the first rule of fight club, erm I mean China.

Heh. Weā€™ll see what happens - I think Iā€™ll be fine.

1 Like

Probably, but youā€™d want to be careful just in case.

Presuming that the conversation is not going to get you deported, I have another interesting question along the same lines as what you have been asking. This is the status of Chinese nationals who have no household registration: there are several tens of millions in China, mostly second children from the one child policy, but also including my son for example.

All of these it would appear - if they had a way to get themselves to Taiwan on an exit entry permit - would be eligible for a Taiwan passport after only a short period of residence. This is because PRC citizens in Taiwan are excluded from the rights given to overseas Chinese only on the basis that they have mainland household registration.

Now thatā€™s an interesting one.
The problem is that in practice, you need a form of ROC nationality proof to apply for the passport. This looks like an insurmountable barrier, unless they would accept your sonā€™s birth certificate with those details missing showing that he lacks household registration.