Child national ID card?

I know children usually only get an ID card when they turn 14, but according to my wife they are able to get one at any time, even as babies but its useless as children aren’t expected to have one. I googled it, but couldn’t find any info. Is this really a thing?

Okay, I answered my own question by searching in Chinese, yes it is a thing.

Has anyone done this?

yes.
Article 57 of Household Registration Act

Nationals who have reached the age of 14 years shall apply for citizen’s National ID Cards; and who are under 14 years old shall apply for citizen’s National ID Cards.

does that english make a sense? In chinese, the Article says

有戶籍國民年滿十四歲者,應申請初領國民身分證,未滿十四歲者,得申
請發給。

I guess it means you have to apply at 14, but can apply before your 14. Chinese makes more sense

Yes, the Chinese means so, but is it correctly translated in English?

No. It should be

Nationals who have reached the age of 14 years must apply for citizen’s National ID Cards; and who are under 14 years old can apply for citizen’s National ID Cards.

I guess many high school students could translate it correctly.
The english version could be created by google translator or something like that.

Bing translator by the looks of it. I put the Chinese version into Bing and it gave me almost exactly the English translation you posted

1 Like

Has anyone done this before?

Would be interesting to know if there is any point

iiuc, national ID card can be a Hukou document in some cases (ex. passport application), so I guess if a child moves to abroad and live there for a long time, the ID card could be very useful later.

1 Like