Child support law in Taiwan

If a girl gets pregnant in Taiwan what are the laws regarding her rights to child support from the father? If a foreigner gets a Taiwanese girl pregnant can he be on the line for financial support? What are the laws regarding this?

I suspect that you haven’t had an answer here yet because most of the people on this board don’t seem to look too kindly upon deadbeat fathers, but at the same time you haven’t provided enough information to provoke an outburst of righteous indignation.

The good news (which actually is bad news if you’re the girl in question), if you or your friend are not interested in supporting a child who has been inadvertently fathered here, is that the payment stipulated by law is usually something pathetic and the likelihood of it being effectively enforced is microscopic. Even better is that if the father leaves the country, there will likely be sweet fuck-all the mother can do to get anything out of him, short of asking her gangster buddies to hunt him down and chop off his nads.

I’ve heard it said that no man is ever ready for fatherhood - until it actually happens. Then a real man can man up and the very least he can do is offer child support - yes, even if the mother is a psycho bitch and doesn’t want to allow the father to see his child. On the average Taiwanese salary, you can bet your ass that she will need every penny of help to raise a child on her own.

1 Like

If the father is American, I don’t KNOW, but I do strongly believe that, once paternity is proven, the US laws WILL allow for forcing the father to pay support. I know that a US father who moves to another country can still be made to pay support, and that the US State Department will aid in locating the father and enforcing payment. I’m not sure Taiwan will do all that, and the expenses involved may make it impossible, or not worth while, but I do think the US legal system would require the father to pay up.

The minimum child support payment amount here in Taiwan is $5,000 NT. It is a pittance and almost insulting. I’ve known of guys in jail in the us who were orderd to pay more than that–while in jail (if they were “employed” in jail doing chores or whatever, they “earned” more than that a month from the government that was paying to provide for them durring their sentence!). If you’re an English teacher here, you should be able to handle $5,000 NT.

Hi Pals I need your help. I am filifina and 7mos pregnant, I work in Taiwan last year and now going back to Philippines the father of my baby is a Taiwanese and he doesn’t want to support my pregnancy or the baby what should I do? Pls is there anyone here who can give me advice?

1 Like

You can see a lawyer for a free consultation.

They can best give you advice on how to proceed.
They have offices in most major cities.

5 Likes