Child support

Seems to me that the biggest problem surrounding cases like this is all of the emotion involved. People who are divorced tend to try to make the ex-spouse miserable. If I were you, I’d protect myself but stay as peaceful as possible. Not worth the emotional and mental tax you have to pay to fight.

I’m a divorced dad myself. No new babies on the way, Flicka. And no illegal working for me. Too much risk involved. I’m wondering why, if you have a Taiwanese wife, you are working illegally?

This is a good question. I’ve heard what has been said and what I’ve read on this forum, but this is what I was told from a more compelling source, a police captain in Taipei city. Taiwan does not have case law. They don’t really decide a case based on previous cases. Taiwan is a statue law system. So if a person is arrested for teaching illegally, it is up to the judge to decide exactly what the law means and Taiwan law is not specific in many ways. What has been written is up to interpretation by the judge. Most of the time, they will go along with the police unless you are a well-connected rich kid running around in Taiwan.

In the end, he said that it doesn’t make a difference what the legislature says because the police can decide to do it or not to do it and by the time you pull all of your attorneys together, you’ll already be off the island. Most people don’t believe it’s worth the money to fight the case from another country. Even if you do win, it will still be a long process to come back to Taiwan and start teaching again. The foreign ministry can simply call you an undesirable and that’s that.

So the point was. Don’t teach illegally and do what the Ministry of Education says. Then, there won’t be any problems or difficulties. Until it is accepted by everyone, it won’t be a good idea to test the system. “Don’t be the first one to die.” Let someone else be first.

wasted advice edited out,
CP-30, you are right, be a hard head about it.

Yeah, perhaps you could get yourself ordained by the Universal Life Church ulc.net/ordain.htm and go for missionary status in Taiwan.

Rev. Boss Hogg

From a religious perspective, life is not a business. There is more to life than a profit.

But on another note, this could as well be the U.S. in which the same thing could be happening. I don’t believe in running. I never did and I win most of my battles. To put it more straight forward, I would rather die on two, than be caught crawling on all fours.

In this situation, my decision is correct. The fact that she lied in an attempt to get a green card in the U.S. and the fact that she got caught proves only one thing. Her deeds caught up with her. She got caught having an affair and now, she will have to look at me through the eyes of my son for the rest of her life. Her situation won’t be any easier.

As for leaving Taiwan, I’ve been here about 9 years. Things have happened in Taiwan to make most foreigners leave. There have been typhoons, earthquakes, riots and instability. I’m still here.

But having been away from the U.S. for so long, I think it would be unwise to ask my wife and baby to pick up, and go to Korea or the the U.S.

Going to the U.S. wouldn’t solve anything. It would merely delay everything for a couple of years. That is until she gets her U.S citizenship from my son and then I would get to see him again. In what condition, I don’t know. Perhaps he would be more of a monster than he is now due to the mistreatment and cover up by the corrupt Taiwan police.

On a sad note, I think that it’s bad that the U.S. has contributed so much to this island as other countries have, but the people are so ungrateful as a rule. They want our money and protection, even our technology, but they don’t want to treat us in a reciprocal manner.
The irony is that if you ask some of them where there second house is, they will give you the name of a foreign country. My personal opinion on this matter is to force the issue. Let the foreign governments cast aside the profit motive, strip any Taiwanese of the foreign citizenships and make them be held responsible. Tell them like the tell us. If you want a foreign citizenship, then you have to deny your Taiwanese citizenship. Religiously speaking, eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth.
-Do unto others as you would have them do unto you!

Is your wife Taiwanese? If so, aren’t you eligible for a work permit here?