Children on scooters - split from 2013 Big Scooter debate

[color=#008000]Moderator’s note: please feel free to continue the off-topic discussion about ‘children on scooters’ in this thread.[/color]

[quote=“PeiZong”]Dear All

I looked around the forum and it seems that a lot of “classic” bigger engine Scooters are no longer manufactured, or at least this year.

If you had to buy a big scooter (180cc and up) over the next couple of months, which one would it be?

In what way is it superior to other popular choices?

I’m leaning towards the Aeon Elite 300Fi, mostly because of looks and the seat looks like it could accomodate the 4 of us (Two young kids of 4 and 6) at a pinch for short distances. Unlike the drivers back rest set up of the SYM RV250 Evo for instance.

Thanks in advance for your informed opinions[/quote]

You are going to take your kids on a motorcycle? You are no smarter than the heathen savage locals! Your children should be taken from you and put in foster care! You should be pilloried! You should be lynched!

Sorry, I just had to say that before the other Grandmas on here inevitably do.

[quote]You are going to take your kids on a motorcycle? You are no smarter than the heathen savage locals! Your children should be taken from you and put in foster care! You should be pilloried! You should be lynched!

Sorry, I just had to say that before the other Grandmas on here inevitably do.[/quote]

I can see the error of my ways now, I will take the children out of their ridiculously expensive school so I will have the budget for a car AND a scooter. Which big scooter should I buy?

OK, ok, I’m reconsidering the daily commute with them which brings on another dilema of the purpose of the scooter at all. If I bring the kids to school on the bus, I would then have to go home by bus, pick up the scooter to run my errands, go back home to drop it off and then take the bus back to school to pick up the kids?!? How do other parents do it?

Sorry if I seem like a lost little princess, I’m actually not, but I was really taken aback by the hostility towards my idea which I thought would be well accepted in what seems to be the land of the scooter.

Local norms would suggest that, unless you have more than 3 kids, you have no need for anything bigger than 50cc.

If you plan your family sensibly, with a suitable spread of ages, younger siblings can be carried on the shoulders of the elder, freeing-up seat space, and avoiding the need to worry about seat-width.

A 50cc has the added advantage of a smokescreen, in the unlikely event of any official/public disapproval.

(Based on at least one recollection of a 2-up-2-down-no helmets-much-smoke Cabin. I kid you not, but no camera, unfortunately)

[quote=“Ducked”]Local norms would suggest that, unless you have more than 3 kids, you have no need for anything bigger than 50cc.

If you plan your family sensibly, with a suitable spread of ages, younger siblings can be carried on the shoulders of the elder, freeing-up seat space, and avoiding the need to worry about seat-width.

A 50cc has the added advantage of a smokescreen, in the unlikely event of any official/public disapproval.

(Based on at least one recollection of a 2-up-2-down-no helmets-much-smoke Cabin. I kid you not, but no camera, unfortunately)[/quote]

Thank you for your priceless input, were are awaiting triplets and also considering a creating a circus act, so we shall wager on the with a 50cc while balancing the newborns on our tin helmets, the (barely) elder brothers taking turns.

[quote=“PeiZong”][quote=“Ducked”]Local norms would suggest that, unless you have more than 3 kids, you have no need for anything bigger than 50cc.

(Based on at least one recollection of a 2-up-2-down-no helmets-much-smoke Cabin. I kid you not, but no camera, unfortunately)[/quote]

Thank you for your priceless input, were are awaiting triplets and also considering a creating a circus act, so we shall wager on the with a 50cc while balancing the newborns on our tin helmets, the (barely) elder brothers taking turns.[/quote]

You’d have to take that overseas. Ho hum hao here.

You don’t need to listen to me but there have been at least one doctor on here who has described clearly why scooters are not suitable for carrying children, and trying to carry two is really asking for trouble IMO. They are simply not designed to Carr children safely. I also had a quck look at doing it, and was horrified to see how the head of the kid would bump into the front area with the slightest breaking. Okay maybe people think they can do it easier or better but I remain unconvinced.

I can’t agree. Scooters may not have security belt or padding or whatever. But children have teeth, and they can use them whenever they feel they need to bite the steering bar and secure them.

If it’s for “shorter distances”, what’s wrong with walking? When I were a lad, we used to walk 170 miles to school, in the freezing rain and snow, and we was lucky to get our free quarter-pint of milk too when we got there. Pitch dark on the way back of course, and only thin gruel when we got home. But we was 'appy.

Not necessarily safer than scootering, I’ll grant you, given Taiwan’s attitude to sidewalks.

I think,if you take a look here,there are ways to get the job done. :unamused: Provided you don’t really give a shit about your Childrens’ safety. Pure laziness and selfish stupidity IMO. Maybe ,as these Riders have a brain the size of a Pea,there is less risk of brain damage to them. Not fair to expose Children to this idiocy. :moped:

[quote=“shiadoa”]I think,if you take a look here,there are ways to get the job done. :unamused: Provided you don’t really give a shit about your Childrens’ safety. Pure laziness and selfish stupidity IMO. Maybe ,as these Riders have a brain the size of a Pea,there is less risk of brain damage to them. Not fair to expose Children to this idiocy. :moped:
[/quote]

Don’t worry!
Number 1 and number 5 have everything under control.