China "Airlines"

From todays Taipei Times

quote:
In the case of TWA 800, experts said fumes inside the tank were heated to above the temperature at which they become explosive -- dooming the 747. What's not known is what ignited the blast.

China Airlines flight CI611 also took off with its center tank nearly empty – a procedure that Boeing recommended be discontinued after the US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) in 1998 said fuel pumps on older model 747 planes were a possible source of faulty wiring that could have ignited the TWA blast.

“The FAA today issued an Airworthiness Directive prohibiting dry operation of the center wing tank override/jettison pumps …” on applicable 747 airplanes, Boeing said in the statement to all owners of the planes.

The pilot said China Airlines continued the risky practice “because here in Taiwan everything is about money.”

Warnings from boeing

China Airlines vice president of flight safety, Samson Yeh (

excellent… thanks for this post. Exactly the sort of thing I was looking for.

China Airlines is a badly-managed company. With a duopoly (almost) on the Hongkong to Taiwan run (perhaps the most profitable route per KM in the world) it really should be able to make money. But the company is badly run financially. That is the ultimate cause of cost cutting and safety compromises. This article, if true, is disgusting.

Sack the board.

Shut down the airline.

Open up Taiwan’s skies to free competition and get rid of these mickey-mouse airlines. People will pay up for safety.

…and while we’re at it: Could international airports please also accept domestic flights? I can understand why there is no 747-400 coming down on the Taichung airport and I see they have no space for a tax free shopping mall either, but I don’t know of any other country (any ideas?) that would not allow any domestic traffic on an international airport…

Well Olaf the Taoyuan Airport already has flights from Kaohsiung. Although they are not “domestic flights”. They are only for passengers connecting to international flights. It might be a good idea to have flights from other cities to make international connections, but I don’t know about from Taichung to Taoyuan. It is really not that far.

Another reason why there may be no domestic flights at Taoyuan is that not many people really want to fly to Taoyuan and spend another hour on the bus to Taipei. It would just be quicker to take a bus or train all the way. Songshan Airport is pretty central in Taipei.

btw has anyone ever noticed the “domestic terminal” at the Taoyuan Airport? There are two planes that look like they have been parked there for a while. (one of the planes has had its engines taken out). The terminal looks unused.

One more thing. Please don’t call it the CKS Airport (or Zhongzheng Jichang). Why should we have to call the airport after such a brutal dictator.

Taichung to Taoyuan was just an excample. The problem here is a (at least to me) strange logic: Domestic airports can not handle international flights, so international airports can not handle domestic flights. As I understand it, the logic applied in most countries is: An airport can handle all traffic it has the infrastructure for, but nothing above that.
Taichung can not handle international flights for two simple reasons: There is no space for an adequate check-in procedure and (a little bit more important) the runway is just a little bit too tiny…
Of course, it would not make much sense to go to Taoyuan by plane and then by bus to Taipeh, but it would make perfect sense to go to Taoyuan by a domestic plane and there get onto the jet to a foreign destination. Or get off the 747 in Taoyuan, walk a few steps and get on the plane to Hualien. There have been rumours for a while now that Taichung should become an international airport. Those rumours are becoming louder before elections, but are still rumours. Now, if Taichung had an international airport, of course it would have to keep the domestic airport, because you can’t handle domestic flights on an international airport. Great game…

[quote]China Airlines pilot too drunk to fly, U.S. says
Wednesday, October 1, 2003 Posted: 10:16 AM EDT (1416 GMT)

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (Reuters) – The captain of a China Airlines wide-body jet about to fly from Anchorage, Alaska, to New York last week was kept off the plane after he failed an alcohol test, officials said on Tuesday.

An airport security screener noticed the man, identified by the Federal Aviation Administration as the plane’s captain, smelled of alcohol, prompting a breath test showing his blood alcohol content at 0.087 percent, above state and FAA limits.

In addition, the pilot was carrying an opened alcoholic beverage bottle in his carry-on luggage, said FAA spokeswoman Joette Storm. FAA rules prohibit pilots from flying with blood alcohol content above 0.040 percent.

The pilot, who was not identified by name, was slated to fly an Airbus A340, which seats about 300 passengers.

The FAA is investigating the incident, but since the pilot does not hold a U.S. pilot’s license, it would be up to officials in Taiwan, which owns and regulates the airline, to take any disciplinary actions.

Frank Chen, general manager for China Airlines’ Alaska operations, said the pilot had been suspended on the day of the incident and sent back that day to Taipei. The airline was conducting its own investigation, he said.

But China Airlines spokesman Roger Han told Reuters in Taiwan the pilot was not drunk by Taiwan standards. He said Taiwan uses a different method to calculate blood alcohol content than the U.S. FAA.

By Taiwan’s calculations, the pilot’s blood alcohol content was at 0.017 percent, well below the FAA and Taiwan’s ceiling of 0.040 percent, Han said. He said the incident took place on September 25.

Han confirmed the pilot has been suspended from flying pending the outcome of an investigation.
[/quote]

To think I flew with those fuckers a few months ago. Luckily, after they screwed up my return booking I did not have to fly back on a CA plane, as I bought a last-minute ticket from EVA instead.

Never again.

[quote=“Alleycat”]To think I flew with those fuckers a few months ago. Luckily, after they screwed up my return booking I did not have to fly back on a CA plane, as I bought a last-minute ticket from EVA instead.

Never again.[/quote]

This past July NorthWest overbooked my flight from LAX to TPE… They were going to put me on a China Airlines flight. I said “no fucking way”… I paid extra for this ticket for the “privilege” of flying on anything but China Air…

They found a seat for me on another NW flight.

Because that’s its name? And saying CKS is quicker and easier than beating around the bush trying to describe the airport without using its actual name. If I had a friend named “Adolf” I wouldn’t avoid saying it or come up with a more ‘socially acceptable’ name for him.

That said, I wouldn’t fly China Air either if I had a choice. I would think China would be begging Taiwan to change the name to “Taiwan” airlines because it was damaging China’s reputation. That’s why I wrote this.

[quote=“tigerman”][quote]China Airlines pilot too drunk to fly, U.S. says
Wednesday, October 1, 2003 Posted: 10:16 AM EDT (1416 GMT)

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (Reuters) – The captain of a China Airlines wide-body jet about to fly from Anchorage, Alaska, to New York last week was kept off the plane after he failed an alcohol test, officials said on Tuesday.

An airport security screener noticed the man, identified by the Federal Aviation Administration as the plane’s captain, smelled of alcohol, prompting a breath test showing his blood alcohol content at 0.087 percent, above state and FAA limits.

In addition, the pilot was carrying an opened alcoholic beverage bottle in his carry-on luggage, said FAA spokeswoman Joette Storm. FAA rules prohibit pilots from flying with blood alcohol content above 0.040 percent.

The pilot, who was not identified by name, was slated to fly an Airbus A340, which seats about 300 passengers.

The FAA is investigating the incident, but since the pilot does not hold a U.S. pilot’s license, it would be up to officials in Taiwan, which owns and regulates the airline, to take any disciplinary actions.

Frank Chen, general manager for China Airlines’ Alaska operations, said the pilot had been suspended on the day of the incident and sent back that day to Taipei. The airline was conducting its own investigation, he said.

But China Airlines spokesman Roger Han told Reuters in Taiwan the pilot was not drunk by Taiwan standards. He said Taiwan uses a different method to calculate blood alcohol content than the U.S. FAA.

By Taiwan’s calculations, the pilot’s blood alcohol content was at 0.017 percent, well below the FAA and Taiwan’s ceiling of 0.040 percent, Han said. He said the incident took place on September 25.

Han confirmed the pilot has been suspended from flying pending the outcome of an investigation.
[/quote][/quote]

i just got off a CA plane a few days ago from HK. ride was nice, a little bumpy, food was real crappy - some cold noodles and slices of “ham”, the captain sounded sober enough, of course couldn’t understand a damn word he was saying over the PA.
of course, i told my parents about the safety history of this airline. response? But you will lose your airmiles and the chance to get a free flight! um… yah. maddening.
i would like to nominate confucius as the scapegoat once again, and goto his grave, disinterr it, and whip his body. now if i could also do this to several other “illustrious” leaders too.

Further to the incident above, I get to HK, two hours before my flight after flying in from Shanghai. Assuming I had a confirmed flight, afterall that’s what they said, I was not worried about all the people milling about the desk. Turns out, I’m waitlisted along with 200-odd other passengers. They overbooked three flights by over two hundred passengers.

I asked why, and was told it’s about profit. Profit my fucking ass, 10 maybe 20 people on a 300-seater, but not 70. Unethical, you mickey mouse airline.

BTW, I was told by the check-in desk manager that confirmed and waitlisted is the same thing. I said, in my best Mandarin, you and a pig, she was portly you see, are the same thing.

Terrible I know, but my nerves, short temper and wanting to get home, turned me into an oaf.

alleycat’s post also reminded me that my original flight was “cancelled” too. so i actually spent more time at the airport than necessary, and got home a lot later.

The man at the desk tried to bullshit me saying there was no earlier flight (which ahem, I was originally booked for). and then blaming the delay on some inexplicable, unknown, “cause” at the Taipei airport.

My stay in Taiwan (and sometimes China) really reminds me of Das Schloss. I mean, Kafka would totally have a field day here. He probably would have died sooner too because of places like this. I know I am.

True Story, documented news story, (and one of the reasons I don’t like them):

After the Singapore Airlines crash here, a couple of survivors stumbled into one of CAL’s airport offices, still in shock after having been in a horrific crash, wanting to use the phone to call and tell their loved ones they were OK, the CAL staff actually told them they COULDN’T use their phone and would need to buy a phone card for the public phone.

I have just changed my booking on Vietnam Airlines to EVA because of a possibility of there being a code-share with CAL. CAL just don’t care about safety. It’s obvious very few people in Taiwan care two hoots about safety when it comes to traffic or electrical wiring or construction, but when it comes to flying an aeroplane, zheyang jiu keyi le is not good enough.

But EVA is a Taiwanese airline. How come they aren’t crashing left right and centre ? Are they the exception that proves the rule ? I don’t know.

One source says a Chinese missile strike cannot be ruled out,

Ha ha ha ! Of course ! It’s China’s fault !

CAL is basically the retirement plan for the Taiwan airforce - both pilots and admin.

With that in mind . . . have they lost anymore IDF’s this week? They do seem to lose an awful anumber of planes and pilots.

HG

I was told (here I am rumormongering) that some twit used his cellphone just before landing, thereby throwing off the instrument readings, causing the 1998 crash.

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]CAL is basically the retirement plan for the Taiwan airforce - both pilots and admin.

With that in mind . . . have they lost anymore IDF’s this week? They do seem to lose an awful anumber of planes and pilots. [/quote]
Accoring to Xinhua, yes. The link was on the front page of www.forumosa.com a few days ago

Because that’s its name? And saying CKS is quicker and easier than beating around the bush trying to describe the airport without using its actual name. If I had a friend named “Adolf” I wouldn’t avoid saying it or come up with a more ‘socially acceptable’ name for him.

That said, I wouldn’t fly China Air either if I had a choice. I would think China would be begging Taiwan to change the name to “Taiwan” airlines because it was damaging China’s reputation. That’s why I wrote this.[/quote]

How about &*$ the Airport formerly known as CKS

No rumour mongering, that was indeed the story at the time. There were claims, can’t imagine it myself, that everybody flipped open their da ge das and phoned the relatives that had come to pick them up and busy circling the airport to avoid the meagre parking fees to announce all to prophetically " women kuai dao le"

The other that other horrible stack around the same time of a domestic flight off Hsinchu. There was some suspicion it was related to the Taiwan Navy conducting live fire exercises in the vicinity. Given their capacity to lose torpedoes one must wonder.

HG

Big Fluffy Mathew.

Lordy! :wink:

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]CAL is basically the retirement plan for the Taiwan airforce - both pilots and admin.

With that in mind . . . have they lost anymore IDF’s this week? They do seem to lose an awful anumber of planes and pilots.

HG[/quote]HG:
Actually, they have been heavily recruiting foreign pilots. It started about 5 years ago. But few foreign pilots stay on.

I knew the wife of an Australian pilot who took a position with CA. He quit after about 6 months of watching the staff and flight crew ignore safety procedures. It’s the CA culture. It’s awful.

The only way to change the corporate culture would be to fire everyone and start afresh. It is possible. Until then, fly ABC- Anything But China.