China bans Tomb Raider, The Cradle of Life

Saw in the China Post today that Beijing has refused to allow Tomb Raider II into the country. Why?

Excessive sex? Violence?

No.

from Japan Today Online.

Gee… where would anyone get that idea? Is this China standing up for itself or just China being overly-sensitive (despite holding racist opinions of other people) and whining about what they perceive as unfair?

Has anyone seen the film?

Not yet, but I want to. Thought I was the only one.
Next Film of the Week, Iris??

[quote=“commie jerkoff”]“After watching the movie, I feel that the Westerners have made their presentation of China with malicious intention,” an unidentified official was quoted as saying in media reports.

“The movie does not understand Chinese culture. It does not understand China’s security situation. In China there cannot be secret societies,” he said.[/quote]
sputter…cough… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

My wife got really pissed at me because I criticised the film too much afterwards about things such as (a) Angelina Jolie is supposed to be an archaelogist (ha ha ha) when in both of her movies she destroys ancient ruins on a scale that would be really hard to match and (b) her means of transportation, intentionally jumping out of and crashing a jet for instance, are pretty absurd. So I explained that, hell, I like to talk about a movie afterwards, what do you want to talk about–do you think she had fat injected in her lips? To my surprise, that calmed her immediately and we proceeded to discuss Jolie’s fat lips. :laughing:

Enjoy the movie.

I bet you can buy the DVD in China.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

China Bans the Chinese Government

Government spokesman says Government is ruining China’s reputation. “They really make us look evil.” Said one official who asked to remain anonymous. “They are constantly portraying China in a negative light.” Newspapers and television thoughout China will no longer be allowed to report any news of PRC Government activies. Most news outlets reported that the new ruling will not affect current reporting policy.

[quote=“Richardm”]China Bans the Chinese Government

Government spokesman says Government is ruining China’s reputation. “They really make us look evil.” Said one official who asked to remain anonymous. “They are constantly portraying China in a negative light.” Newspapers and television thoughout China will no longer be allowed to report any news of PRC Government activies. Most news outlets reported that the new ruling will not affect current reporting policy.[/quote]Is there a link for this ‘story’ RichardM? Is it in ‘the Onion’ or similar? Cause if it’s not, I just ain’t gonna believe you! :wink:

The report has been censored. You’ll just have to believe Mr Spock.

Well I watched my 8RMB version today. Incidentally the cover, in Chinglish and Chinese, states quite clearly that it is not for sale “Outside USA and Canada”. I wonder what they are on about. Apart from strongly suggesting that there are criminals in China and Hong Kong (oops - maybe that is the problem?). I thought the myth that there are no criminals in China was destroyed long before the one about no SARS.

Must make sure it is not lying about in case Mr Plod makes a visit.

When I saw the title of this thread I thought the Chinese were being more “culturally” sensitive, as Lara DOES rather disrespectfully speed along the Great Wall of China on a whopping great dirt bike. But that’s OK, apparently! Go figure!

Maybe it is me that is “culturally insensitive” - If all films were banned throughout the world because someone rode a motorcycle in a foreign country - there would be a much smaller pool of films to view. Personally I would class riding a bike on the Great Wall - obviously in spoof mode - as humour.

After all - the original Great Wall was many thousands of km in length - and I don’t believe that anyone apart from Chinese are being blamed that you could only ride a bike on about 30km of it now.

Hu Jintao is gay.

Sorry, no, won’t be weekly movie as I’ve seen it already. :wink: I must say I wasn’t surprised about the Chinese reaction. Maybe they simply didn’t like the fact that Chinese geography is all mixed up in the movie? :wink:

No weekly movie at all this week as I’ll hop over to Singapore for a family weekend tomorrow.

Sorry guys

Iris