China Beijing Study Tour

Want to learn Chinese language? Want to know more about Chinese culture?There is a chance for you right now!

We are TOSIC(Teach Or Study In China). We are now registering people from anywhere in the world for a Beijing Summer Camp. This camp will let you learn Chinese language, experience Chinese culture, and travel around in the capital of China - Beijing at the same time.

So what are you waiting for? We will make this summer camp an unforgetable memory for you! If you are interested, please E-mail us at careerinchina.ca

This sparked my interest, since I’ll be roaming around China at that time. It works out to something like 40 bucks a day incl meals and accom- not bad, though I don’t want to be in a ‘you get what you paid for’ kind of situation.
Has anyone else heard about something like this? Are there other companies that offer some sort of Chinese summer camp in China?
thanks in advance,
Leslie

Anyone had any experience with this crowd? Sounds interesting, although forking out an extra NT$24000 (IIRC) on top of rent and airfare for it is a bit of a put-off.

[quote=“leschamb”]This sparked my interest, since I’ll be roaming around China at that time. It works out to something like 40 bucks a day incl meals and accom- not bad, though I don’t want to be in a ‘you get what you paid for’ kind of situation.
Has anyone else heard about something like this? Are there other companies that offer some sort of Chinese summer camp in China?
thanks in advance,
Leslie[/quote]

I am not sure what you mean by “you get what you paid for”. Can you please explain that?

It means that when you pay a low price for something, sometimes you “get what you paid for” - as in low quality. Though this is of course not always the case.

There are many Chinese schools in China, I spent a few hours checking them out yesterday. There were large differences in the price between the schools. Particularly ‘culture tours’ and ‘summer camps’, which is what I’m interested in. I saw some for $1800us for a month (perhaps too overpriced?), and then your school is $790 for three weeks, which I think is a really good deal. And the afternoon activities are exactly what i’m looking for.

So I was going to email you with questions, but if you read this, then I might as well ask them here:

1. What is the expected Chinese ability level of the class?
  2. Approximately how many students in the class?
  3. I’m a vegetarian, will there be any vegetarian food?

thanks in advance

I can say that “You get what you paid for” situation won’t happen here. Our summer camp is cheaper than the others because of the following reasons:

1. The organizers for this summer camp are our company(TOSIC) and the Beijing Union University. As you should know, all the universities are non-profit. So this means that we are not trying to make money out of this camp.

2. All the participants will live in the standard two persons room in the University campus. This way, the participants won’t need to pay for the expensive hotel.

Also here are the answers to your questions!

1. What is the expected Chinese ability level of the class?
    We are expecting beginners who don’t know any Chinese or maybe just a little Chinese to participate. Actually this study tour is designed for people that don’t know any Chinese.

2. Approximately how many students in the class?
    There will be no more than 20 students in one class.

3. I’m a vegetarian, will there be any vegetarian food?
    Yes, of course. We will perpare vegetarion food for vegetarians like you.

well that sounds really great!

I’ve been learning Chinese for 8 months now though, so I’m not sure about the level of the class. I’m looking for a complete Chinese immersion, where the Chinese teacher will not speak any English to us. My Chinese is not very good, but that’s mostly because I haven’t practiced it enough.

In Canada, I was part of a similar program, where we hosted Japanese students at a University. In order to become a teacher or an assistant teacher, you must not be able to speak Japanese. I think that really helped the students because they talked to us in English.

Anyway, the program sounds like a lot of fun, but again, I’m just not sure about the level. I don’t want to be sitting there learning how to say ‘she’, ‘I’, ‘they’ etc… all over again. I guess I’ll have to think about it. I’ll be in China for a few months.

Thanks so much for letting us know about this program.

You are welcome!

:slight_smile: