China boycotts Opening Ceremony of the World Games

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/international/asia_pacific/view.bg?articleid=1185356&srvc=rss

Typical childishness of the Chinese.

Anyone else find it ironic that the Chinese complain about others bring politics and sport together, but it is ok for the Chinese to do so with impunity?

So much for Ma’s diplomatic approach. The Chinese have yet to grow up. Why should we deal with them in this manner. Hopefully when I head down there next week, I will find Chinese people who have learned how to line up – hopeless, I know…

so what are they complaining about - that president ma is there?

surely they should have boycotted the entire event in protest? Except they want their golds to prove superoirity? Or because they’ve already invested in the drugs needed to win?

[quote=“itakitez”]so what are they complaining about - that president ma is there?

surely they should have boycotted the entire event in protest? Except they want their golds to prove superoirity? Or because they’ve already invested in the drugs needed to win?[/quote]

Like the Chinese are the only ones that test positive for drugs.

The Chinese boycotted Ma more than anything… hope he is happy…

Anyway, I’m happy that i saw these news even on Portugese newspapers, and they were not very polite to China, might I add…

Shouldn’t they be called Chinese Beijing?

Taiwanese Peiping

The Chinese have an atrocious history of boycotting the Olympics - and then they turn around and say sport and politics don’t mix.

Sport is Politics/War by Other Means.

The KMT is OK with it. In fact, it is a sign of improved relations.

chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/loca … hletes.htm

[quote]Meanwhile, ruling Kuomintang Legislator Wu Yu-sheng said that to the best of his knowledge, China’s decision to have its athletes skip the opening ceremony was the result of a brainstorming session between the Chinese Taipei Olympic Committee and Chinese authorities.

"The two sides discussed the issue frankly and sincerely before reaching that decision, " Wu said, adding that he fully supports the arrangement.

“It’s a wise, goodwill decision that will contribute to harmony and the development of relations between our two sides,” Wu said.[/quote]

[quote=“TaipeiDawg”]The KMT is OK with it. In fact, it is a sign of improved relations.

chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/loca … hletes.htm

[quote]Meanwhile, ruling Kuomintang Legislator Wu Yu-sheng said that to the best of his knowledge, China’s decision to have its athletes skip the opening ceremony was the result of a brainstorming session between the Chinese Taipei Olympic Committee and Chinese authorities.

"The two sides discussed the issue frankly and sincerely before reaching that decision, " Wu said, adding that he fully supports the arrangement.

“It’s a wise, goodwill decision that will contribute to harmony and the development of relations between our two sides,” Wu said.[/quote][/quote]

The bolded quote sounds like Wu is reading from a statement prepared for him by the CCP. What Chinese speaker actually uses “harmonious” unless they are a member of the CCP or writing for a Mainland newspaper?

They are smarter than all of us.

I opened up a can of beans today and it was more exciting than the opening of the world games.

Interesting to see posters sneer at the idea of promoting “harmony” across the Taiwan Strait. It seems as if they would prefer to go back to confrontation of threats, none of which by the way would make China recognize the ROC or an independent Taiwan.
It might be painful, but remember China is also taking a risk.
But of course it cannot politically acknowledge the ROC or the ROC Presidency. To do so would be tantamount to surrendering the unification goal, absolutely impossible for any PRC leader to do.

I find any talk of ‘harmony’ to be laughable at best when there are hundreds of missiles pointed at Taiwan. I also just think it’s a silly word in the first place, the Mainlanders use it a lot…part of their push for a “Harmonious Society” plan.

Right, just a slogan. Still at least the current situation is more “harmonious” than when the PRC was regularly issuing threats against Taiwan and firing missiles into the Taiwan Strait.

Well, just because they changed the tactics doesn’t make them less dangerous or more harmonious. They are still the same bunch of people who won’t hesitate in killing in order to create their “slave society”.

^ Or “flowing in slowly”, for that matter, to create their utopia. I wasn’t too surprised about this.

My Mom was very happy that the World Games were taking place in Kaohsiung, since my grandfather (her father) and family members are there. Plus, her second home is there. But she did not understand why the Chinese were boycotting the games. sighs and slaps forehead Oi Mom… It’s fine to be neutral but this is what being neutral gets you to.

How “harmonious” is it really when one side insists that the other side is a legitimate part of its territory and promises to use force to get its way?

[quote=“Mawvellous”] Still at least the current situation is more “harmonious” than when the PRC was regularly issuing threats against Taiwan and firing missiles into the Taiwan Strait.[/quote] I wonder how many people actually felt threatened by that as opposed to how many were annoyed that they would act as belligerently as North Korea. And of course there are those who conveniently blame the whole thing on the DPP for ‘provoking’ them… :unamused:

Why would they blame the DPP when it happened under a KMT President? :unamused:

How “harmonious” is it really when one side insists that the other side is a legitimate part of its territory and promises to use force to get its way?[/quote]

They won’t use force.

And the situation is more “harmonious” than before, back in the 1950s they were shelling Jinmen every other day. But gradually there has been a thaw (with major setbacks along the way). Going back to a Taiwan independence policy would reverse this, and of course not achieve its stated goal.