China Contradicts its own Policy -- What's the Deal?

[quote=“STOP_Ma”]I’ve done a bit more research and have discovered that everything, in fact, appears to be square with Washington and Taiwan.

First of all, Here’s the new press statement (currently up on the U.S. Department of State’s website) NOTE: the other press statement is no longer posted: [/quote]

What are you talking about? That’s exactly the same press release as I posted.

Trust me, the State Department is not “confused” by some report from Voice of America, an agency they themselves run, despite James Huang’s best efforts at covering CSB’s ass.

Anyway, the US still expects CSB to unambiguously do all these things. It’s a pretty strongly worded press release… they don’t even call him President or Mister… just Chen Shui Bian, like he’s a nobody. Wow. CSB still has his work cut out for him.

[quote=“zeugmite”]
Trust me, the State Department is not “confused” by some report from Voice of America, an agency they themselves run, despite James Huang’s best efforts at covering CSB’s ass.

Anyway, the US still expects CSB to unambiguously do all these things. It’s a pretty strongly worded press release… they don’t even call him President or Mister… just Chen Shuibian, like he’s a nobody. Wow. CSB still has his work cut out for him.[/quote]

Apparently, you’re stuck in a time warp. They have taken that press statement off the website and replaced it with the new one I posted.

Other than it being a complete and utter fuck-up by the U.S. State Department, there is nothing more to read into this. (unless you want to provide some proof).

[quote=“STOP_Ma”]Apparently, you’re stuck in a time warp. They have taken that press statement off the website and replaced it with the new one I posted.

Other than it being a complete and utter fuck-up by the U.S. State Department, there is nothing more to read into this.[/quote]

Apparently, you are stuck in a mind fuck, because that press release has never changed since being posted and it’s the exact same one I posted from Day One. Did you even read the first page of this thread?

Man, he does live in a virtual universe.

[quote=“zeugmite”][quote=“STOP_Ma”]Apparently, you’re stuck in a time warp. They have taken that press statement off the website and replaced it with the new one I posted.

Other than it being a complete and utter fuck-up by the U.S. State Department, there is nothing more to read into this.[/quote]

Apparently, you are stuck in a mind fuck, because that press release has never changed since being posted and it’s the exact same one I posted from Day One. Did you even read the first page of this thread?

Man, he does live in a virtual universe.[/quote]

Did you even look at the State Department website, lately? If you want to believe that this new post does not exist, that’s your decision.

If you want to keep making shit up and look a fool much like CSB is looking now, be my guest. TI/ers have a thick skin; that’s a well known fact.

In other news, today’s State Department daily press briefing (2/3/2006) following yesterday’s press release:

[quote]QUESTION: Adam, you put out a statement on Taiwan yesterday calling on the Taiwan authorities to publicly correct the record and vigorously affirm three things. In response to the U.S. request, Taiwan’s Foreign Minister Huang had a press conference. He said those officials were misquoted, but he stopped short of providing the specific information that the U.S. seeks. So does the U.S. consider his request as unfulfilled?

MR. ERELI: We’ve noted Taiwan’s statement today. I think our position on the issue was pretty clear in our statement. I don’t really have more to add to the statement. It’s important that Taiwan unambiguously clarify its position.

Note: That would be a no.

QUESTION: Since for some reason it seems awfully hard for Taiwanese officials to publicly acknowledge their assurances to the U.S. – so what does this say to you? Is the U.S. okay with that?

MR. ERELI: I think we’ve stated clearly what we want to see, and that was in our statement yesterday. As for an explanation of why the Taiwanese are saying or are not saying certain things, you’d have to ask the Taiwanese.

Note: We don’t give a damn what the latest method is that CSB is using to cover his ass.
[/quote]

state.gov/r/pa/prs/dpb/2006/62581.htm

My apologies again, Zeugmite.

I quickly read that line in the press statement:

and, I believed it was a new statement – which it wasn’t.

No need to apologize. But CSB might need to apologize to Bush sometime soon. :smiley:

Again, I think there’s a little more wiggle-room than you think – but, that being said, the Bush administration has now pretty much fucked up what could have been a political slam-dunk against the anti-democratic forces in Taiwan.

God, I hate the Bush regime!! “Spreading freedom” my ass! (not that I ever believed it anyway – but I thought, maybe – just maybe – they could stand on the side of “what’s right” – just this once – and not what’s best for them (as cctang described earlier).

Or maybe this is just more of that hurricane Katrina incompetence spreading to the State Departement?

:fume:

I’ll help cctang, here:

I’ve seen it all now.

The Chinese media is now using the U.S. State Department’s response in their headlines!

[quote]
US urges Taiwan to correct comments on council[/quote]

Congratulations, Georgie!! You’re doing a heckuva job!!

You complete and total fuck-up! Now go eat some India mangos.

God, can’t wait to see how CSB responds to the Americans.

This may not sound nice, but I have to say that Taiwan politics(mostly CSB and all UNC fuss) has been my major source of amusement recently.