China edits Ang Lee's speech

So let me get this straight, the USA is justified in censoring live events by having a 5 minute lag before broadcast, to prevent

[quote=“ac_dropout”]So let me get this straight, the USA is justified in censoring live events by having a 5 minute lag before broadcast, to prevent

[quote]AC:

How you equate “vulgarity” censorship to “political” censorship is beyond me. (and let me just say, I’m not necessarily agreeing with the “vulgar” censorship).[/quote]
I think you need a little more understanding of those examples I put up.

1. That is a political message from Blacks to Whites on why isn’t their dialect of American accepted proper American. There is a big movement in the Black community now to take the venom out of the word “N*gger” in the American lexiconn. Read up on Hip Hop culture if you want to discuss this more.
  2. That was an example of a censor word on live TV. “Bitch” is acceptable. Not to mention penis is a medically acceptable term. It’s not a slang term like D*ck for instance.
  3. If any of the award winner tried to make a negative comment about the war. Rest assured the 5 minutes lag would have been used to edit and go to commercial. It might have be done already and we’d never even know about it.

[quote]You want a better comparison?

Two words.

Michael Moore.[/quote]
I don’t know, Zhang Yimou seems to be doing pretty well from himself. His earlier films are “Chinese Underwear” as officials in the PRC put it. Showing to the world the ugly side Chinese society. The West ate it up.

I think you have to broaden your knowledge about the Greater Chinese community before you make off the wall comments like this one.

There are so many Chinese intellects constantly making sharp criticism, demanding change in the PRC. Sure some of them cross the line and make it into the English media as dissidents. But many work the system.

Are you trying to state that no one questions the CCP in the PRC? Are you trying to state there is no fat Jew in the PRC making movies that cater to you and your political views?

I have two words for you now (我送你兩個字):
天下

[quote=“ac_dropout”]

1. If any of the award winner tried to make a negative comment about the war. Rest assured the 5 minutes lag would have been used to edit and go to commercial. It might have be done already and we’d never even know about it.[/quote]

Michael Moore did just that, in case you weren’t aware (in 2003)

And again, no matter how much you try to stretch the case that your examples are due to “political” censorship, it is nowhere near as blatant as the Ang Lee case.

[quote]
There are so many Chinese intellects constantly making sharp criticism, demanding change in the PRC. Sure some of them cross the line and make it into the English media as dissidents. But many work the system.

Are you trying to state that no one questions the CCP in the PRC? Are you trying to state there is no fat Jew in the PRC making movies that cater to you and your political views?

天下[/quote]

AC, if anyone in China made a movie in support of TI and against the PRC and then went to an awards show only to scream to millions across the globe (including China) that “The PRC created a fictitious law based on fictitious reasons” (referring to the ASL)-- it would be the last you would see of that director.

Period.

The U.S. is getting more and more fascist every day – but come on!

[quote=“STOP_Ma”][quote=“ac_dropout”]

3) If any of the award winner tried to make a negative comment about the war. Rest assured the 5 minutes lag would have been used to edit and go to commercial. It might have be done already and we’d never even know about it.[/quote]

Michael Moore did just that, in case you weren’t aware (in 2003). And not only did he make a negative comment about the war – he questioned the legitimacy of the government that brought his nation into war AND called them liars.

And again, no matter how much you try to stretch the case that your examples are due to “political” censorship, it is nowhere near as blatant as the Ang Lee case.

[quote]

天下[/quote]

AC, if anyone in China made a movie in support of TI and against the PRC and then went to an awards show only to scream to millions across the globe (including China) that “The PRC created a fictitious law based on fictitious reasons” (referring to the ASL)-- it would be the last you would see of that director.

Period.

The U.S. is getting more and more fascist every day – but come on![/quote]

[quote]Michael Moore did just that, in case you weren’t aware (in 2003)

And again, no matter how much you try to stretch the case that your examples are due to “political” censorship, it is nowhere near as blatant as the Ang Lee case. [/quote]
But that was pre-Janet Jackson’s “wardrobe malfunction” (Feb. 1, 2004). If you weren’t aware live TV in the USA isn’t exactly live anymore.

Things are changing in the USA for a more control society, if you weren’t aware. But your willing to allow USA to become more facist unchallenged, since it conforms to TI strategy of using USA to goto war with PRC.

Whereas in the PRC things are changing as well, for a more liberal society. Which you will deny is happening, since in TI reality it is not possible for the PRC to create a modern society that will ever surpass the ROC.

Once again you are taking subject values and assuming they are universal. There taboo political subjects in PRC, no one doubts that. There are taboo political subject in the USA, namely, that the war in Iraq is wrong.

So you have Zhang Yimou who has been pushing the envelope of PRC censor for over 2 decades now. His movie criticize the Cultural Revolution, talks about corruption, etc. So you’re upset that because he doesn’t act like an obnoxious fat Jewish American, that something is fundimentally wrong in the PRC? Or are you upset that not many people in the PRC sympathizes with TI?

Reality check the majority of ROC doesn’t support TI and thinks they are a bunch of trouble makers. The leadership of TI, LTH (corrupt Japanese sellout) and CSB (corrupt Hoklo racist), are not doing anything constructive for Taiwan, ROC.

I’m sorry if reality doesn’t conform to your idea of what it should be. Time to face reality.

LOL. Too bad Taiwanese arthouse indie directors are all using their unique talents (?) to make such great “documentaries” as “Very CD’s” (非常光碟) and “Unusual CD’s” (反常光碟) that only somebody the caliber of Mr. MOFA Mark “LP” Chen could appreciate.

AC, I voice my concerns about the elements of fascism rearing its ugly head in America all of the time. I am saddened every day I hear the criminal Bush regime pissing on what makes America great. The corporate media have also played a major role in this transformation – make no mistake about it.

However, to even contemplate that America is under a control similar to what exists in China is ridiculous. And please don’t give me a lecture on ethnocentrism. Human rights and freedom is a universal aspiration for all.

And your comparison of “taboo” subjects is also disingenuous. With the very odd exceptions these days, political dissent and expression is still a reality in America – whether, as a famous film-maker, you shout it out in front of an awards ceremony or whether, as an unknown Joe Shmo, you tell the Vice President to go “fuck himself” on CNN. The same cannot be said about China – not even close. Has Michael Moore served any jail time for those comments he made in 2003?

Interesting how you bring race into this discussion. First you accuse me of being an ethnocentrist and then you make a borderline racist comment about Michael Moore (twice, I may add).

Something fundamentally wrong in the PRC? Yeah. It’s called “lack of freedom”. The day an obnoxious fat Chinese activist can shout out to millions of his countrymen against his government will be a better day for China, IMO.

I’m not upset at the people at all. In fact, I’ve had many Chinese friends over the years. It’s the government I have a problem with.

Reality check The majority of Taiwan have elected LTH and CSB (x2). The same cannot be said for 2-time loser Lien or Soong.

Why do you say that? I forward that the government controls are more or less they same in the USA and PRC. They may manifest themselves in different ways, like Zhang YiMou v. Micheal Moore, but make no mistake large States implement more or less the same policies to maintain control.

Are you saying Michael Moore did not become a political target by making and promoting his film?

Do a google search on “Michael Moore Jewish.” And witness fellow American attack Michael Moore Jewish heritage because of his political view put on cellulose.

How about threat of Tax audits?

[quote]I hear the criminal Bush regime pissing on what makes America great.

The majority of Taiwan have elected LTH and CSB (x2). [/quote]
Here is the bias you will need to address at some point. If GW Bush is a “criminial” for being a bellwether to the decline of the USA. Why aren’t LTH and CSB “criminals” for doing the exact same thing to ROC?

What is so unique about TI that it allows you to forgive the behaviors of LTH and CSB, but not GW Bush?

AC, you have a comparison problem; you compare pebbles to mountains and call them the same. You’ll then compare hydogren dioxide to h20 and call it different.

Michael Moore getting criticized the same way he criticizes the government to no harm is exactly what freedom is. He’s free to say anything he wants without vulgarity.

Which is far different from in 2003 when 5 Chinese college students were imprisoned for 10 years just because they talked about democracy amongst themselves in China. They didn’t protest, they just talked about it with each other.

Your antics never cease, but then its probably because you complain about Forumosa on other forums and talk about bringing it down.

To everyone else:
Theres no ‘secret code’ in what Ang Lee said. In one instance we have AC saying that Ang Lee is not a TI-er (which no one has insisted he was in the first place) and was probably a unificationist, then he insists that the CCP was right in censoring Ang Lee’s speech. I don’t get where this hypocricy comes from because if Ang Lee was indeed going for unification, wouldn’t China be pleased?

Its these unification imperialists/Chinese Nazi’s that are a bit over doing it. On one hand they criticize Japan for Nanjing, on the other hand they justify attacking Vietnam, India, Inner Mongolia and many other nations.

Hydrogen dioxide (which doesn’t even exist) is different from H2O. I think that’s what you bring to the problem between AC_Dropout and you. You don’t read correctly.

Hydrogen dioxide (which doesn’t even exist) is different from H2O. I think that’s what you bring to the problem between AC_Dropout and you. You don’t read correctly.[/quote]

And apparently, your problem is missing Shrimpcrackers argument completely.

AC, you’re a riot! :laughing:

It’s a simple observation that many of those who advocate for Taiwanese independence also deny their fundamental kinship with all other Chinese. But that doesn’t mean all those who recognize their kinship with Chinese are necessarily tied to any political solution.

I haven’t heard anyone claim Lee Ang was “for reunification”. That’s a political statement, and he’s taken no political stance. But I for one do celebrate Lee’s apparent recognition of his Chinese identity, as suggested by his explicit mentioning of “people in Taiwan, HK, and China”. I think that’s significant, and I’m proud of him for remaining true to his roots in that context.

I don’t know his political opinions, and I have no opinion on them in that context.

If I’m a candidate to win the Nobel Prize 20-30 years from now, I assure you I would not make such an elementary chemical nonmenclature error.

The same of Zhang Yimou.

No different than a number of cases of Muslim Americans who gather together on American soil to pray, or talk about life, only to be whisked away into limbo without due process.

Were the PRC students planning the next 6/4. Were the Muslim Americans planning the next 9/11.

The respective governments made their judgement call.

[quote]you complain about Forumosa on other forums and talk about bringing it down. [/quote] That’s just slander. Can you please cite where I’m trying to cause this imaginary revolt of yours.

You probably formed this opinion without watching either the Oscars or the CCTV version of the Oscar.

So your TI instinct tells you somethings amiss. A perfect situation where there are no facts, where you can just frabricate anything you want to forward the TI aggenda of “PRC bad Big Brother” programming.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]

The same of Zhang Yimou.[/quote]

Uhh…no. :loco:

Anyways on topic. Anyone found a clip of this alleged censorship in the PRC?

Right now looks like people are just pushing air.

The Oscars are being rebroadcast in its entirety this weekend on CCTV. If I remember (have the time to spare), I’ll try to catch it.

From what I’ve read elsewhere, CCTV broadcast the show in two ways:

• first, with a 1 hour delay from the live broadcast, a version of the show with Chinese hosts providing voice-over translation.
  • second, later that evening, a version of the show in English with Chinese subtitles. (Takes time to generate that, obviously.)

I believe the part allegedly “censored” is the Chinese translation of that part of the acceptance speech. There’s no way they would’ve shown the entire show in its entirety, and then only shown the last 5 seconds of Li An’s acceptance speech. Frankly, I bet the translators didn’t know how to translate the darn thing safely. Even days after, the translations from different independent news sites are pretty different.

ac_dropout:

I’m sure when this happens we’ll all regret criticizing your logic. I think a Darwin award is more likely. :loco:

[quote=“Redmenace”]ac_dropout:

I’m sure when this happens we’ll all regret criticizing your logic. I think a Darwin award is more likely. :loco:[/quote]

Totally, I don’t see any papers coming from Dropout.

Dropout: I did indeed watch the Oscars, however I didn’t see the CCTV version.

In anycase, I thought Ang Lee’s take was great and that China would appreciate the acknowledgement, however I guess they don’t want to let anyone from Taiwan seem too friendly. No no, sympathy would be bad wouldn’t it?

Shocking. Realistically. If anything, I thought the Chicomms would interpret it as “Taiwan, Hong Kong, and (colonies of) China”.

What? That’s one of the most off-the-wall and illogical theories I’ve ever heard.

Also the point, I believe, is for you to watch what you are commenting on.