China: Factory 'slaves' rescued

Disgusting. IMO there is no need to put slaves in quotation marks, they were slaves:

[quote][b]
China: Factory ‘slaves’ rescued

POSTED: 0658 GMT (1458 HKT), June 8, 2007

BEIJING, China[/b] (Reuters) – Chinese people have rescued 31 people forced to work for a year as slaves – given only bread and water and no pay – at a brickworks run by the son of a local Communist Party official, state media reported on Friday.

Eight of the workers were so traumatized by the experience they were only able to remember their names, the Beijing News said, citing a report in the Shanxi Evening Post.

One laborer was beaten to death with a hammer for not working hard enough, before police swooped to set the others free, the newspaper added.

The survivors had bruises, wounds and burns all over their bodies, having been made to carry uncooled bricks and walk barefoot in the kiln, it said.

Article continues here[/quote]

Cruel.

China.

Bread and water? In China? Mantou, perhaps, or since it was in Shanxi some godawful millet based bread, maybe.

While I don’t doubt the story, it is prudent to keep in mind that the central government is as likely as equally mortified by this news as you or I.

HG

You’re right, it does sound uncommonly luxurious.

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Bread and water? In China? Mantou, perhaps, or since it was in Shanxi some godawful millet based bread, maybe.

While I don’t doubt the story, it is prudent to keep in mind that the central government is as likely as equally mortified by this news as you or I.

HG[/quote]

The central government is mortified that the news got out, while we are mortified by such. The central government will likely put to death a few of the managers, leaving any involved CP members with nobody to implicate them.