China is boring

OK sure there is a lot of economic development and all but economic is boring too. In fact economic development is the most boring thing I can think of. And now I am imprisoned in a luxury resort with nothing better to do than talk to you guys. I’d go for a swim in the loveliest pool I’ve ever seen but my nose is runny. There are bamboo farms and duck farms and village life outside the complex but I don’t think I am supposed to go there. Oops, somebody is coming…

Pool? WTF? Here’s the view from my last accomodation in China:

Feeling less bored now? :wink:

where are you in china??

Tapei.

I was in Hangzhou when I wrote that though. I had a terrible fever and sore throat so was not taking the most optimistic view of things. Actually the hotel was gorgeous and I did get out to meet some of the locals when I went to the hospital for something to reduce my fever and put me to sleep.

Eventually I will get around to writing about the whole trip.

There are no locals in Hangzhou. They’re all from Shanghai. And they hate each other (predictably).

Don’t they have a pub?

Next time go to Longjing village 龙井村. Unlike West Lake, Longjing IS actually beautiful and a nice place to spend an afternoon walking through the valleys. You can also buy some nice tea; your Taiwanese friends will be impressed if you bring back the real deal from Longjing Village.

Does that mean you were in Ruili in Yunnan beforehand? Lots of people get those symptoms after spending some time in Ruili.

I may have been in Rui Li. Where is Rui Li?

Basically we took the bus from HangZhou to HuangShan with a stop over in a gorgeous little town whose name I have not been able to properly PinYinize (something like HungChuen?). They filmed part of Crouching Dragon Hidden Tiger there. Or was it Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon? I always get mixed up about that.

[quote=“bob”]I may have been in Rui Li. Where is Rui Li?

Basically we took the bus from HangZhou to HuangShan with a stop over in a gorgeous little town whose name I have not been able to properly PinYinize (something like HungChuen?). They filmed part of Crouching Dragon Hidden Tiger there. Or was it Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon? I always get mixed up about that.[/quote]

Wild frontier town in Yunnan

time.com/time/asia/covers/11 … story.html

From all around Asia, men gravitate to Ruili for jade, rubies, heroin and sex.

I see. Nope. Didn’t go there.

[quote=“Chewycorns”][quote=“bob”]I may have been in Rui Li. Where is Rui Li?
Basically we took the bus from HangZhou to HuangShan with a stop over in a gorgeous little town whose name I have not been able to properly PinYinize (something like HungChuen?). They filmed part of Crouching Dragon Hidden Tiger there. Or was it Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon? I always get mixed up about that.[/quote]Wild frontier town in Yunnan
time.com/time/Asia/covers/11 … story.html
From all around Asia, men gravitate to Ruili for jade, rubies, heroin and sex.[/quote]Real gem of a place…

[quote=“TainanCowboy”][quote=“Chewycorns”][quote=“bob”]I may have been in Rui Li. Where is Rui Li?
Basically we took the bus from HangZhou to HuangShan with a stop over in a gorgeous little town whose name I have not been able to properly PinYinize (something like HungChuen?). They filmed part of Crouching Dragon Hidden Tiger there. Or was it Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon? I always get mixed up about that.[/quote]Wild frontier town in Yunnan
time.com/time/Asia/covers/11 … story.html
From all around Asia, men gravitate to Ruili for jade, rubies, heroin and sex.[/quote]Real gem of a place…

Anyone who thinks China is boring obviously hasn’t been to Yunnan. Whether hiking Tiger Leaping Gorge, raising hell in Ruili, visiting the 1000s of minority villages, and/or enjoying the range of freezing to tropical climates, it is a great place to get lost for a few months:bravo: Love the food too!!!

I don’t actually think China is boring. I just said that because I had a fever and a sore throat. I say funny things when I have a fever and a sore throat. Sometimes I say funny things when I don’t have a fever and a sore throat too but definitely when I have a fever and sore throat it gets worse, the antisocial tendencies, they get worse, when I have a fever and sore throat I mean… Anyway next time if I don’t have a fever and sore throat I’ll definitely check out Rui Li. Sounds like my kind of place, but only if I don’t have a fever and sore throat. OK, time for my nap…

Anyway it looks like I’ll be back to China again twice in the next two months, the first one with a family I have been teaching for a five day tour of shanghai, expense account and down time being negotiated as we speak, and the next one three weeks later to finish production on the “welcome to the chinese factory” video that was started last month. That’ll be four trips to China in about six months. I dunno if I’d call it weird or not but certainly not what I’d envisioned coming down the pipes…

A lot more motivated to study Mandarin these days suddenly.

As with the others up there, I would say the best thing to do in Shanghai is go to Hongqiao Airport and get a flight to Kunming.

Where they filmed Crouching Tiger was Anji county. It’s very nice with a mountain filled with bamboos.

I was there and took pictures and everything. Definitely, really gorgeous country.

[quote=“Chewycorns”]Anyone who thinks China is boring obviously hasn’t been to Yunnan. Whether hiking Tiger Leaping Gorge, raising hell in Ruili, visiting the 1000s of minority villages, and/or enjoying the range of freezing to tropical climates, it is a great place to get lost for a few months:bravo: Love the food too!!![/quote] I love it there in Yunnan. Lijiang was my favorite many years ago. Not sure if it is the same. However, I do think it is kind of boring in that the locals places are way too local for my tastes. I like the restaurants for the tourists and the hangouts for the back pakcers in those relavant towns, but unlike Taiwan, the places that are meant for locals outside of Shanghai and Beijing are usually too local.

Whenever you stay in certain businessman hotels do you guys always get phone calls right before lights out asking if you want a message? That definitely sounds like it is not so boring.

I’ll be in China at the end of the month for a week… visiting Beijing, Xi’an and Shanghai. Tickets and accomodation have been booked… currently in the process of organising a day tour to the Great Wall… and also one for Xi’an

I’m looking forward to it :slight_smile:

[quote=“JoshTW”]
Whenever you stay in certain businessman hotels do you guys always get phone calls right before lights out asking if you want a message?[/quote]

I told them to “piss off” and not to bother me with a message because I was in the middle of a massage.