China is picking quarrels and provoking trouble

So how’s that friendship with Putin turning out?

If US polling matters, then the answer is “not well.”

Guy

I read this guy’s book a while ago. Interesting, long read.

1 Like

Good share, but i always like reading things that tell me what i already think i know :upside_down_face:

Meanwhile in Australia:

Guy

2 Likes

Shit

On the plus side: Indigenous people getting organized and standing up for water rights and the environment is not a bad thing.

Not everything should be for sale!

Guy

2 Likes

You say this like it’s the first time. Ever hear of Keystone XL?

Of course not the first time! And unfortunately—given how cavalier settler governments can be—not the last.

Guy

1 Like

Mostly this incident worries me because its China in Australia. US/Canada companies trying to take over US/Canada land is a domestic issue. That comes with its own problems (the US government sending people with military grade weapons in to disperse the protestors comes to mind), but China will stomp its feet like a two year old if it doesn’t get what it wants. Will Australia help China before its native people? Of course it will!

Foxconn got all sorts of access to Lake Michigan water that local communities were denied. They got both access to use the water as they pleased and polluting rights. Remember that 83% of North America’s surface water is contained in the Great Lakes. The day will come where our world is a toxic waste dump because governments put power to the corporations instead of to the people. Yet we look to the mega rich to get us to Mars, a cold, dead rock so far away you’d die of cancer from the radiation in space before you arrived, as some place to set up human colonies

6 Likes

Those scenes carry the end of the film, imo.

From Ian Bremmer. Ships that can’t get to port. Zero covid; zero bidness.

Water Rights Licenses are a big issue in Australia, manly due to the lack of it. Many big agricultural companies (Chinese interests own some, but not a majority) pay big $$$ to the relative governments to pump from rivers, thus leaving just a trickle for towns and farms downstream. Been an issue for years, even before any Chinese interests got involved. Trouble is, some products (Cotton being the usual one) need lots of water. Some formerly major rivers (the Darling and its tributaries) run at just a trickle, and even dry up sometimes, unless there is heavy rain and flooding. Western Australia, with the exception of the SW corner is very dry, with only one major dam up north (Ord River). The Goldfields area (Kalgoorlie) gets its water by pipeline from Perth - 600km away. The Northern Territory has plenty of water in the Northern part as it is tropical and gets heaps of rain, but south of that is usually bone dry and while there is Artesian water, its not enough for the big water needs properties.

4 Likes

I doubt the indigenous peoples frame and see it as such, after all most of them see themselves as Nations.

Ultimately this is splitting hairs.

Is this new? does it change in any way how protected we thought we were in a potential invasion?

What do you find noteworthy about this report?

Guy

1 Like

That’s a bit my original question, isn’t it? Japan released footage of a carrier with airplanes landing and taking off and etc somewhere in the East of Taiwan. So,

1 Like

That China has an aircraft carrier? Well, we knew that. That they sometimes sail it around the ocean and fly planes off it? That’s what they do. That it was around here? It’s bound to be sometimes. Or are you getting at something else?

1 Like

No, I guess it was that part, the location. Is that something new? if that’s the case, what conclusion can we draw from it?

I’d say nothing, in the absence of other worrying factors. That being said, I think if the crap hits the fan, China might prefer it to be in safer quarters :slight_smile:

1 Like