China just became the world's biggest supplier of US imports

chinaeconomicreview.com/dail … ports.html

China has passed Canada to become the largest source of US imports last year, Bloomberg reported. Imports from China surged to US$321.5 billion in 2007, led by flat-panel televisions and computers, household appliances, toys and clothing, capping a six-year period in which China’s exports to the US have more than tripled

Pretty cool. I’m not worried about the quality of stuff- I have faith that market forces will sort that out over time. I’m happy for what it means for China - rising standard of living, jobs, better life, etc. GO CHINA! :bravo:

[quote=“trebuchet”]http://www.chinaeconomicreview.com/dailybriefing/2008_02_15/China_becomes_leading_source_of_US_imports.html

China has passed Canada to become the largest source of US imports last year, Bloomberg reported. Imports from China surged to US$321.5 billion in 2007, led by flat-panel televisions and computers, household appliances, toys and clothing, capping a six-year period in which China’s exports to the US have more than tripled

Pretty cool. I’m not worried about the quality of stuff- I have faith that market forces will sort that out over time. I’m happy for what it means for China - rising standard of living, jobs, better life, etc. GO China! :bravo:[/quote]

Wouldnt be a surprise if you lived here. Practically everything you see is made in China.

perhaps they should use the term “assembled”

Sounds like that is including Taiwan under the mantle of being ‘China’

And I’ll second that ‘assembled’ comment.

But I don’t question for a New Yawk minute the size of US imports from the PRC.

A lot of stuff isnt just assembled in China. Take the computer. Except for intel CPU or other CPU being made in usa. The RAM is likely Taiwanese. But most of the computer is made in China now. Even the Hdd, the tft screen, etc.

So I think that local (China) content is quite high.

Well, not the entire HDD or TFT screens. Many internal components in those things are manufactured in a variety of locales – Korea, Taiwan, and Japan specifically. Many of those components are then assembled into larger components in cheaper locales, such as Singapore, Thailand, or Malaysia. It is only afterwards do those larger components get sent to China to be combined with local Chinese components into building HDD, monitors, etc.

Well, not the entire HDD or TFT screens. Many internal components in those things are manufactured in a variety of locales – Korea, Taiwan, and Japan specifically. Many of those components are then assembled into larger components in cheaper locales, such as Singapore, Thailand, or Malaysia. It is only afterwards do those larger components get sent to China to be combined with local Chinese components into building HDD, monitors, etc.[/quote]

Ok Wiseguy !! (just kidding :slight_smile: )

But I would venture to say that the China content is still over sixty percent of the cost of the puter or…not? What say you?

Well, not the entire HDD or TFT screens. Many internal components in those things are manufactured in a variety of locales – Korea, Taiwan, and Japan specifically. Many of those components are then assembled into larger components in cheaper locales, such as Singapore, Thailand, or Malaysia. It is only afterwards do those larger components get sent to China to be combined with local Chinese components into building HDD, monitors, etc.[/quote]

Ok Wiseguy !! (just kidding :slight_smile: )

But I would venture to say that the China content is still over sixty percent of the cost of the puter or…not? What say you?[/quote]

It depends on the 'puter setup, but given that the CPU and memory are both made outside of China and make up a large bulk of the cost of a system, I’d say that Chinese components contribute less than 60% of the costs.