China NOT invoking Anti Secession Law over NUC abolishment'

Well, Chen just bought Nauru its one repossessed airplane back. Maybe Chen’s hoping Nauru will commit some mercenary to fight for TI.

[quote=“cctang”] The “freezing” of the NUC means absolutely nothing, except in terms of grade-school taunting.

So, again… what has CSB actually done, other than convince people to come out for large rallies and give a lot of folks ulcers? Is Taiwan, in any way, more capable today of resisting Beijing than it was 6 years ago?[/quote]

I find this hard to argue against, yeah. But there is the matter of pride. It’s a sad day when the majority of people in the world actually feel that might is right.

Chen did get some pretty strong verbal commitments from the US for support. “Whatever it takes,” was the most famous example. He’s gotton some pretty strong words of support from Japan too. He’s gotten the Taiwan issue into the International headlines several times. Each time it opens more eyes to the inherent unfairness in Chinese attitudes toward surrounding territories.

Even if his present-day efficacy is subject to criticism, history may recognize him as a leader who stuck up for what is right. (That would be the wishes of the people of Taiwan, as CSB repeats over, and over, and over, and over.)

[quote=“dearpeter”][quote=“cctang”] The “freezing” of the NUC means absolutely nothing, except in terms of grade-school taunting.

So, again… what has CSB actually done, other than convince people to come out for large rallies and give a lot of folks ulcers? Is Taiwan, in any way, more capable today of resisting Beijing than it was 6 years ago?[/quote]

I find this hard to argue against, yeah. But there is the matter of pride. It’s a sad day when the majority of people in the world actually feel that might is right.

Chen did get some pretty strong verbal commitments from the US for support. “Whatever it takes,” was the most famous example. He’s gotton some pretty strong words of support from Japan too. He’s gotten the Taiwan issue into the International headlines several times. Each time it opens more eyes to the inherent unfairness in Chinese attitudes toward surrounding territories.

Even if his present-day efficacy is subject to criticism, history may recognize him as a leader who stuck up for what is right. (That would be the wishes of the people of Taiwan, as CSB repeats over, and over, and over, and over.)[/quote]

And, may I add…

for those who think that the cross-straights issue can be put on the back-burner:

I say – what’s more important than keeping outside forces from destroying what you already have or what you strive to become?

Just who are you speaking for there? Did all Taiwanese appoint you to speak TI for them?

Wishes of the people… lol

If CSB stuck up for the wishes of the majority, he should be sticking up for the status quo.

If CSB stuck up for the wishes of the TI/ers, he should declare TI and fight a war of independence.

He’s doing neither. He said “impossible is impossible” to TI. But he still plays these games to boost his own position in the party and to avoid being a lame duck. He is’ just playing politics with people’s lives. It’s the only way, because face it, he isn’t good at anything else, especially governing.

dearpeter,

“Whatever it takes” (or whatever the exact quote was) is from 4-5 years ago, if I recall correctly. Bush made the comment shortly after the downing of the EP-3 over Hainan. That was the hottest period of US-Taiwan relations this decade (century!), and the coldest period of China-Taiwan relations this decade (century!).

What’s happened since? CSB, with his political manuverings, has consistently stretched and challenged US-Taiwan relations. The prospects of Bush repeating the comment he made 5 years ago today is close to zero. The prospects of Bush sending another explicit warning towards CSB in April when Hu visits DC, just as he did in 2004, is far greater. On the other hand, US-China relations are at their best in 15 years.

In 2001, the United States basically wrapped Taiwan into its security alliance. The US made it clear that Taiwan was under its protection, and both the arms package + Bush’s comments were intended to guarantee that. The Taiwanese should’ve enjoyed 7 years of security and prosperity under CSB’s administration, knowing that it was free from military threat. And if you give some serious thought on this issue, that’s what the Taiwanese people really wanted.

CSB sacrificed all of that for his version of “pride”. If the Taiwanese people shared his opinions on this issue, they’d embrace him for it and not begrudge the sacrifice of their security + prosperity. They apparently don’t. His approval rating is lower than low, and even factions within the DPP are dissatisfied with his approach towards cross-strait and US-Taiwan relations.

The best you can say about CSB is that he’ll never be remembered as Neville Chamberlain. But he will never be remembered as Winston Churchhill, either.

I fear his legacy will not be that fond. His two terms in office have been riddled with scandals. He has a very questionable legitamacy to the 2nd term in office.

His ability to forward TI in any real sense is marginal.

The only people who will remember him fondly will be other racist Hoklo that share his views.

Namibia, Gabon, Djibouti and Hungary condemn CSB’s actions with regard to the NUC. Come on AC, I don’t even know why you bother to post these comments. You know as well as I do that the only reason they do so is to possibly obtain some sort of aid package or a bit more ease in the facilitation of trade with China. I highly doubt they even care or have ever shown any concern with the cross-straits issue before. Someone asked them to do it for some veiled promises. What these delegates say make no difference to the issue at hand and I don’t understand why you bother to post them.

The only real players with the issues being discussed are The PRC, Taiwan, the US and Japan to a lesser degree. Their comments are the ones that have any relevance to this topic.

How is Japan relevant then? You can use the exact same argument for Japan, it only parrots USA policy to facilitate trade with the USA as well.

Taiwan has 25 allies that are for the most part bought off. Why are they not in the international media praising and glorifying CSB for his recent actions.

Does the PRC have that much more leverage with their B-grade allies than Taiwan.

Bought off or not, the original point is, I think, what are Taiwan’s 25 booger-sized allies for?
Are they worth anything?
Is Nauru worth the tens of millions of US$ spent to get its repossessed airplane back?

Oh yeah, the Nauru president just announced that he isn’t going to buy back his plane. He is going on a shopping spree to get a new Boeing! Woohoo!

Looks like somebody named Chen just got played.

AC, with regard to Japan, I think their role in this issue is minor. Their’s is simply a regional security issue so I think that what they have to say certainly has relevance in this context.

ZM, I never mentioned the Taiwanese, “booger sized,” allies. I would agree that they have little to comment on with the NUC issue. Just one thing ZM and AC. I also don’t understand why you equate countries that have diplomatic relations with being allies. These two terms don’t really mean the same thing even though you use them interchangeably.

Because these 25 nations actually have treaties with Taiwan. They are the only external evidence that explicitly acknowledges ROC, Taiwan is sovereign, which implies that it is an entity independent of the PRC.

Having 25 USA diplomatic relationship doesn’t mean squat, if there are no external evidence that ROC, Taiwan exist in an international legal context.