China Post illegal teacher ad

A quick search on Google led to this site:Kaohsiung County DOE
The girl in question worked for this school: 展群外語補習班 Does anyone know what the English name would be?

BTW, as a SA, I want to thank you guys for rallying around Ms. B.

This may douse the flames a bit. I asked around about this and one person (a waiguoren) told me that if any foreigner skips out on a contract, then the business that issued the contract can be fined by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for not posting a notification that the contract was broken. I’m told this has something to do with the problems of renewing visas and MOFA’s attempts to track down the transgressor. Perhaps in the past, all such ads were printed in the Chinese-language press. Then again, I don’t know if this information is true. Maybe Teacher Wang was just obeying the law as she understood it. But it does seem that her telephone skills are lacking!

This type of very ugly behavior by Chinese is very intolerable and should not be tolerated by the rest of society. Keep up the great work and listen to Alien’s suggestion on a teacher rights organization…the Chinese employers are part of a professional organization, so this very example means no one will ever want to do such a similiar thing again, as these “gorilla tactics” get such hairy results.

Should call and scream like a caged chimp…then say,“We found her!” Or we should whistle in the dark to call the “foreign ghosts” to the phone!

quote:
Originally posted by Jellymister: This may douse the flames a bit. I asked around about this and one person (a waiguoren) told me that if any foreigner skips out on a contract, then the business that issued the contract can be fined by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for not posting a notification that the contract was broken. I'm told this has something to do with the problems of renewing the visas and MOFA's attempts to track down the transgressor. Perhaps in the past, all such ads were printed in the Chinese-language press. Then again, I don't know if this information is true. Maybe Teacher Wang was just obeying the law as she understood it.
The thing is, she's going far and beyond the call of duty, and makes two unsubstantiated, libellous and potentially slanderous accusations:
    [*]first, That the teacher broke the contract. Maybe she did, and maybe she didn't. We don't know the circumstances leading to what's-her-face's dismissal. Maybe the situation requires arbitration before fault can be determined.[*]second, she asserts that the teacher is in the country illegally. How does she know this? Who's to say that the teacher didn't skip off to Koh Samui the day she allegedly broke her contract? Does Teacher Wang have some kind of link with customs and immigration at both of Taiwan's international airports?[/list]Teacher Wang went too far. This girl has been accused in a national newspaper (maybe more than one), of being an unethical employee, and of breaking the immigration laws of Taiwan. I'd say Teacher Wang deserves being raked over the coals in Oriented for this. Afte3r all, what's the worst case scenario for her? She has to change her mobile number. That'll school her. [img]images/smiles/converted/hip-o-dude.gif[/img]

Are we sure that teacher Wang is the one who posted the ad, or from the school that posted the ad ?

Obviously I don’t want to put her phone out of action if she too is an innocent party.

What can this be construed as? Black listing? Malicious intent? How prevalent are these scenarios?

I’m still in the States, and this is horrible. I hope I never run into this type of BS.

These scenarios are quite prevalent. Expect to run into them with every job you have. You may get lucky.

quote:
Any more ads like that give me the number. I'll set up my PC to ring it every 2 minutes from Northern Ireland (untraceable obviously) and tie up their line. Maybe even give them a bit of "We know where you live" in a thick Belfast accent (although how you do that in Chinese I dunno!?)
Probably quite easily traceable! Had a friend ring me from the Republic recently using his cell phone, his full number popped up on my caller ID here in Taiwan...
quote:
Originally posted by Maoman: The thing is, she's going far and beyond the call of duty

Correct. If she just doesn’t like to be fined it would be completely sufficient to report the probable break of contract to the relevant authorities.
Hmm, so it wasn’t one of her students who posted the ad. But something else comes to my mind: Has anyone ever considered the possibility that something might have happened to that teacher? I hope I’m wrong, but if the whole story started just for the reason that she did not show up for class and “disappeared” without notice, I would consider an accident or something worse a possibility. Foreigners (especially if they come for only a relatively short time to teach at a Buxiban) often lack the social network local people have. Just look how many locals (and not only children!) still can disappear! Now if something serious happened, will the Buxiban boss know the friends of that teacher? I doubt. In most cases, the only data available will be the personal phone number and address. And the guarantor you need to give on several forms will probably be the Buxiban owner, so she might not want to call herself.
I hope I’m wrong, but I think this should be considered. And if unfortunately this appears to be true, I hope that “Teacher Wang” will get her fair share of responsibility…

Let me bring this back around. When I first alerted you all to this, I mentioned that this practice is not uncommon with workers from the Philippines who have run out on their contracts.
I have never heard a hew or cry because of the unfair treatment of them from anyone.
I believe that it is some legal requirement to place an ad in these situations, but regarding Westerners, the regulation has been overlooked – until this instance.
Is the practice unfair or just unfair this time because it was a Westerner?

By Wolf

quote:
I mentioned that this practice is not uncommon with workers from the Philippines who have run out on their contracts.
I have never heard a hew or cry because of the unfair treatment of them from anyone.

I was under the impression that the Phillipino girls were on the run with no intention of going home. Thus they really were illegal immigrants. The difference here is, and this is my guess, but the Sth Africans and the other Westerners would much rather legally live in there home country than illegally live here.

Probably, but my point was that the tenor of this thread is: “How could the bastards put this in the paper like that? Let’s call the ‘teacher’ and rag on her.” There is also the: “OK. What did the South African woman do? Does she deserve any of this?”
I’ve never heard anyone say this sort of thing about the Filippinas.
I am playing the devil’s advocate here a bit – I think that what “Teacher Wang” did was uncalled for, but to be fair, shouldn’t we be just as miffed when we see the next one for a Filippina? More so given the kind of quasi-slavery that many of the Filippinas have to endure here.

If an employer thinks that their foreign employee (South African, Fillpina, whatever) has broken their contract and remained in the country illegally, they certainly have the right to inform the authorities. Publishing it in the paper, however, just strikes me as wildly inappropriate. It reminds me ads for missing dogs or property or, still worse, runaway slaves in the antebellum South.

Sure we could support the Filipinas, but they’re not organizing on the website either. Get 'em on here in order to let them use their own English abilities to become the louder voices of unity.

I don’t think there’s any legal comparison to be made between a foreign teacher breaking a contract and a Philipina running away from their employer. Unless I’m wrong the bushiban owner has no legal responsibility here. Probably this is just her way of getting back at a teacher who just ran out on them leaving them with a bunch of kids with no teacher. Depending on the circumstances this may not have been an inappropriate impulse, but i think it’s safe to say she’s now finding out the method she chose has it’s drawbacks

Are you so sure that you are racially superior to any Filipina? You’re both still only mere aliens of the same ROC immigration laws, especially for any purposes of deportation…as white slaves or yellow dogs of your Han masters.

quote:
Originally posted by taiwanstatus: ...as white slaves or yellow dogs of your Han masters.
What the hell is your problem anyway?

…yeah, what is your problem?
It should be yellow “running” dogs…

No, the “running dogs” were CKS’s lackeys, as characterised by the commies. We can’t be running dogs, just dogs I suppose.

Regarding Filipinas, yes it’s sh1tty when it happens to them too, but the case in hand potentially affects us all, whereas the situation of a Filipina maid doesn’t. However, that is not to say we shouldn’t feel a little kndred spirit with fellow shat-upon foreigners wherever they may hail from.

Re caller display - using a few cheapo re-routers will solve that. They don’t run to carrying the ID, they can barely carry the voice signal…!

Okay, I wasn’t specific enough in my earlier post. As I understand it the business issuing the contract has to do something other than just notify the proper authorities. They have to prove to the proper authorities that they have taken certain steps to find the person who broke the contract whether the employee is Western or from the Philippines. Meaning, that to many business owners, placing an ad in the newspaper may be the cheapest and/ or the easiest way to prove that a business owner has taken such steps. Maybe Hartzell or someone who runs a bushiban could clear this up for us.