China Post story about South African deported

chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/deta … 3467&GRP=B

This news article is curiouser and curiouser. Does anyone know what really happened?

re: “South African man says he is legally eligible to stay in Taiwan”

but I’m glad to see that they deport people with fake degrees immediately.

Not that his was, but thanks to so many South-Africans faking degrees, I almost got thrown out of the country for not having a four year degree. Thank God Taiwan realised that many countries have only 3 degrees.

What happened to “Miss Wu” for making false accusations to the police and causing Mr Ellie to wrongly loose his job and home and whatever ?

I think we’ve all learned a valuable lesson here: don’t befriend Taiwanese women!!!

While I certainly don’t justify the actions of the accuser, or the police in the first instance, have any of you done a search on the “World Online Education Commission” or “Ashwod University”? Scammers if ever there were any.

http://www.woeac.org/inner/accredited_institutions.htm

First, the World Online Education Commission claims to have been established in 1985, to accredit on-line universities. WAS there even an internet outside of government in 1985? When did the first so-called on-line university start? Pre-1990 even?

Second, you will see that Ashwood “University” is WOEC’s ONLY accredited university, although there are a number of “candidates”.

Next, check out Ashwood’s site.

http://www.ashwooduniversity.net/

It’s one of those “$399 earns you a BA in 7 days” “institutions”. Check out the subjects you can choose to have a degree in.

http://www.ashwooduniversity.net/AU/order.aspx?UNPRCODE=6

Aviation, Emergency Medical services etc.

Yes, your four years of experience as a little blue truck driver in Taiwan may qualify you for a degree in Veterinary Medicine. :loco:

If only the authorities here had checked THESE things out, and not just whether Ashwood was in SA…[/url]

Did he study for his ‘degree’ in the US or in SA?

If it is on-line from SA then how can his degree be recognized if Taiwan does not recognize on-line degrees from any university.

Dumb schmuck. For an extra hundred bucks he could have got himself a doctorate.
Sounds like this guy was quite rightly deported.

HAHA, laugh of the month.

Buy a degree and when discovered, then complain AND win.

When looking at the World Online Education Commission web site, I noticed that every link for future accredited institutions was down…

Hahaha… I have always dreamt of a doctorate in nuclear engineering. Now is the time to get it.

[quote=“Mr He”]HAHA, laugh of the month.

Buy a degree and when discovered, then complain AND win.

When looking at the World Online Education Commission web site, I noticed that every link for future accredited institutions was down…

Hahaha… I have always dreamt of a doctorate in nuclear engineering. Now is the time to get it.[/quote]

So what can we do to get this goofball to be deported? I don’t know if I’m angry or jealous! You work your A_sZ off to get a degree, then spend years trying to find a way to pay off the debt, so that you can get better jobs and , well, the right to stay in Taiwan. And this guy does so little? Yikes

Perhaps they should give her a medal?

Or rather…Don’t piss off Taiwanese women!! They’ll kick your ass real good!!

There was a news story that broke of how an undercover officer got his cat an MBA:

dslreports.com/shownews/57659

It was prety big news when it broke, especially becuase the “university” was called Trinity Southern University, or TSU - which are also the letters for Texas Southern.

[quote=“Battery9”]but I’m glad to see that they deport people with fake degrees immediately.

Not that his was, but thanks to so many South-Africans faking degrees, I almost got thrown out of the country for not having a four year degree. Thank God Taiwan realised that many countries have only 3 degrees.[/quote]

Let’s rather not start pointing fingers concerning who are guilty of faking degrees, or who quite honestly teach here illegally by getting a study visa and then teaching English without a degree, fake or otherwise…

In fact where I am, many folks (not South Africans) don’t have fake or real degrees and teach illegally using study visas or taking a monthly or two monthly trip to Hong Kong to get their visitors visa extended. Some of these people have been doing this for nigh on ten years.

Besides, the bloke in the article got his degree IN the USA (not online) but he was deported because they consulted the South African Liaison Office who (rightly) said there is no such University in South Africa. They did not, however, check whether their is such a University in the USA. Once the mistake was pointed out to them and they realised he had a legitimate degree he was legally allowed back in the country.

Check the facts before you lambast and sling mud…

I don’t think they are slinging mud without reading into it. They researched Ashwood University and saw advertisments claiming to give you a degree in a week without having to study. They looked at Ashwood University’s claim of being accredited and looked at the accrediting organizations and it looks like they are fake too.

So it may turn out that the guy got a fake diploma and then won a court battle based on fake accreditation.

[quote=“bismarck”]
Check the facts before you lambast and sling mud…[/quote]

I am South-African. I almost didn’t get my ARC in time because I found out too late that I had to go to our embassy to get it stamped for authenticity. I can’t see how this online degree can be equivalent to actually giving up 3 or 4 years of your life studying to get a piece of paper.

I know many people teach here without having degrees, by being students etc. Irritates me how the people who do it the right way end up paying tax etc. Grrrrr

The article also states that he did complete 60 units at the university. Is that possible in 7 days? I haven’t looked at their site, but can you really be certain that he did not indeed get a degree … ??

Found this quote from the article interesting:

[quote] He [Warren Ellie] stated that, compared with South Africa, the island [Taiwan] has a lot of room for improvement on its justice system and protection of human rights.
[/quote]

He bought one. Surely, the seller would state that he took his “60 credits” or whatever, after all that’s part of the US$400 service, I guess.

have to say this guy has some nerve to get kicked out and then assert his rights on the tenuous grounds of an internet degree…i mean surely he must have thought that somebody (good on ya formosa) might actually checked up on his alleged university…

"No Exams
No Admission Tests
No Course Books
No High Fees

YOU DO NOT NEED TO STUDY AT ALL!"

what an absolutely brilliant concept…

I must admit that I am offended by anyone taking the South African scam artist’s side.

I spent 4 years getting a BA, and another 3 years getting my masters, all hard study, while having to bring home enough bacon to support a family for the last years.

If any fool comes here and uses a degree bought over the internet for US$400, then well… He’s telling the rest of us that we are fools by actually studying.

I hope that he will land back in jail for quite some time, and get a kick in the arse out of the country afterwards, most likely with a few nasty stamps in his passport, preventing him from coming here again for a very long time.

Perhaps they should give her a medal?[/quote]Yes, she might have done more checking than I did after all :blush: