China surrounding Taiwan now...Is this for real?

Should I start burning all my Whinne the Pooh items?

1 Like

O_O

1 Like

That is the kind of thing that triggers massive foreign folk getting on the first plane out, screaming we’re all going to die.

I remember the lines our lovely instructors at Shida fed us in preparation to the 2000 election. We clutched our bug outta dodge bags, passports in hand that night, watching tv news and waiting for the bombs to start falling.

During SARS even our ambassadors left.

There was a massive exodus after Fukushima too.

I wonder what was the reaction in 96.

After so many quakes, plagues 1 and 2, I mean, war has always been expected. It is actually the least surprising thing.

Would have loved if the reporter was not so keen on following the “Taiwan as provocateur” mantra and had dwelled a bit more in the conditions in China that may lead to conflict. I do disagree with the view of tragedy leading to nuclear conflict if US intervenes. That sounds too much like reading from China’s script. China is dangerous but it is still a giant with clay feet. The love of its people depend on their bellies and accounts being full. When that falters, they will become another front to deal with.

2 Likes

My mom called from the UK to warn me about the danger. At that time the big news in Taitung was the opening of our first McDonald’s. It’s still here.

4 Likes

Your lovely instructors at Shida in 2000 had been fed a lifelong diet of stories that without the KMT in charge, your life will collapse!

Interestingly, our lives in Taiwan have not collapsed.

And while I am no fan of Mayor Ko right now, I do agree with Michael Turton’s assessment some time ago that having a non-KMT mayor for eight years may (just may!) allow the eligible voters in our capital to see that life goes on in Taipei City too. : D

Guy

3 Likes

I keep bumping into Ko at events. He really is a miserable toe rag. Lame duck walking.

1 Like

Good. His ambiguous stance on cross Strait issues may have had legs in another era. But not now with Xi Jinping!

Guy

1 Like

Actually, that was the second generation. My elderly instructors came on the same boat as CKS.

And the indoctrination at citizen level cannot be compared with the one in government. Try telling them that only waishengren with political party affiliation - usually daddy was a general/ambassador/minister- may advance…try…

Did DW Publish their report?

In little pieces on YouTube.

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/4030537

Nearly 67 percent of the American public expressed a willingness to risk defending Taiwan if the nation comes under military threat from China, according to a poll published by the Washington-based Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) on Wednesday (Oct. 14). However, the poll also shows that this support gradually drops as age decreases.

When similar questions were posed to American “thought leaders” who are influential in the realm of international and Asian regional affairs, nearly 80 percent expressed a willingness to defend Taiwan. The poll demonstrates that 54 percent of Americans regard China as the greatest foreign challenge to the U.S. — more than double the 22 percent who named Russia.

2 Likes

I hope our October Surprise is recognition of Taiwan Number One Country!

I’m hoping the TNOC can be a thing. :rofl:

臺灣第一國家!

Leadership doesn’t give two shits about what the people want.

1 Like

Maybe… But think about it like this.

Why do they always continue to defend or try to do business with China? Well cause businesses will whine because China is whining and kicking up a fuss. We know countries would have no problem recognising Taiwan… it just has to be…less politically risky. Popular support suppresses political/electoral fallout.

1 Like

This would be the ultimate troll. I thought for a minute it’d be funny to see the faces of the CCP if it happened, but they don’t have any expression anyways.

Did you see the part about “thought leaders”? These are the “experts” who help set the stage for war.

Slowly but surely, the preparations for war are already under way.

If you’re happy and you know it…GRIMACE!

W020100629387131728097

I doubt if 67% could find it on the map. “Oh, yeah, my niece went to Bangkok on her honeymoon…”

2 Likes

More like 67% of people who were polled. Any idea on the size of the pool people were polled from?

1 Like