China 'takes over' important British chip plant?

I get up in the middle of the night and see this story. I did a quick search and I did not see it anywhere on this board.
Forgive me if this is duplicate.

I’m totally dumbfounded that this could happen.

1 Like

Why? What’s so hard to digest ?

1 Like

The British have been selling off their crown technological jewels for years.

2 Likes

For ‘takes over’ read ‘buys’. Hey, half of downtown London has been bought by Russian gangsters.

2 Likes

Restaurants, movie theaters, hotels… One thing…
Selling control to a company that makes weapons and other necessary products crucial to your defense, that’s another question?

I’m part of the stupid boomer generation where I remember there could be no foreign ownership of any defense manufacturer and only limited ownership, newspapers, radio stations and other media.

I think we had something there…
(Grad high school in 1983, not sure what gen I’m in)
Sure… give the gun making plant over to the people who want to kill you. Very smart.
I was simply dumbfounded that the United States did not have any masks when and that most crucial drugs are made in China.
Taiwan does a heavy business with a potential enemy but it’s smart enough to keep necessary manufacturing at home.

Stupid to the max …

So you have a problem with the RAF with Chinese characteristics :crazy_face: how racist :laughing:

1 Like

And now the Boomers run the show!

The only article I was able to find that mentioned process size said that this is a 180nm fab. That’s hardly a critical process. It’s two decades old.

They’re also using 200mm wafers, which I believe also points to an old fab; modern ones use 300mm wafers. I don’t know if there are recent fabs that for some reason use the smaller ones, though.

2 Likes

Goddamn! Now I can finally submit my designs for Pentium III clones!

2 Likes

Maybe they use their chips in defence applications , critical infrastructure ? They probably use older chips.

It’s not a good idea to mess with Brits’ supply of fish & chips. They’ll go to war over that shit!

5 Likes

We lost our family jewels decades ago.

In the UK, the Chinese are also building HS2 (high speed rail network), and a nuclear power plant(s) if I am not mistaken.

It’s not about what they do now, it’s about what they plan to do in the future, disguised as a UK company with a Dutch company as front.

If the people are ok with this development and what it will lead to, then they deserve what happens.
Deserve, that’s a harsh word.
They are consenting and buying into what may eventually happen.
Anyone with half a brain has seen what happened to many international partnerships in China with intellectual property involved.
You can add to that less than code quality building materials and cutting corners into the mix.

Please don’t tell me that the people in Britain may not be aware of what may happen.

The people that make decisions don’t care. The people that care don’t have the power to stop it.

1 Like

The chinese have been doing this for decades. There is nothing surprising about this other than how little people care about their futures.

1 Like

Democracy

If there were more of the people that care they would be out making their positions known at least through picket signs and demonstrations.
This is consent. This is what they want.
In my opinion…
But I don’t hear any news stories of people picketing so…
It is happening in their best interests at least though they believe.

No I’m choosing an extreme maybe devil’s advocate position.
Maybe there is no longer a democracy so you cannot pickit in protest.

Here’s the golden oldies from Taiwan do the cat in the hat movie.
At least legislators in Taiwan will speak out for what they believe in.

Yeah. But the in-thing nowadays to demonstrate about it marijuana, gay rights and BLM.
National security - whatevah! China is great dad! I just saw Zuckerberg jogging in Beijing. So nice and orderly!

1 Like