China to tackle software piracy

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4902976.stm

Now I’m glad that this is happening in China, but what I don’t like is that (IMO) it is going to be much more benificial to Microsoft than to any Linux distributors.

I for one would not like to be forced to buy a computer with Windows on it, if I was then going to delete it and put Linux on it.

Mind you, I don’t think I’ve ever bought a ready-made PC anyway. :stuck_out_tongue:

Now I’m glad that this is happening in China, but what I don’t like is that (IMO) it is going to be much more benificial to Microsoft than to any Linux distributors.[/quote]
I can see two possible outcomes:

1. PC makers ignore the new rules completely, and they are not enforced (or possibly, PC makers realise there is a new department that they have to bribe to allow them to ignore the new rules)
  2. PC makers realise that installing ‘Red Flag Linux’ will cost them precisely zero dollars, will adhere to the regulations, and mean nothing needs to change.

I don’t see how either of these benefits Microsoft though :laughing:

[quote=“david”]

1. PC makers ignore the new rules completely, and they are not enforced (or possibly, PC makers realise there is a new department that they have to bribe to allow them to ignore the new rules)[/quote]

this sounds about right … :laughing:

[quote=“irishstu”]BBC NEWS | Technology | China to tackle software piracy

Now I’m glad that this is happening in China, but what I don’t like is that (IMO) it is going to be much more benificial to Microsoft than to any Linux distributors.[/quote]

Good point. But it’s not just Linux that won’t benefit from it. What about all the billions of dollars of other business software, games, music, movies and other copyrighted materials that are sold and downloaded illegally? Doesn’t this new law basically increase sales of Windows only?

I guess it should come as no surprise that when Hu Jintao visits the US next week, he’ll stop by for dinner at Bill Gates house before seeing President Bush. :laughing:

bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= … A&refer=us

Piracy laws are suggestions in China, big companies usually bribe enough officials that they can violate those laws in front of a bunch of cops and no one would care. The only law they ever enforce in China are arresting people for exposing stuff…

I realize that many laws in Asia, especially regarding the protection of IPR, are barely enforced and are mostly passed just to get the US Trade Rep Office and the record companies, software companies and movie companies off their backs, so the governments can pretend they’ve taken action against piracy when the actual impact will be close to nil.

But I wonder if that will be the case with this new reg. China’s most successful tech company is Lenovo computers, which I understand was purchased by IBM, so now Lenovo is manufacturing millions of laptops and PCs for IBM in China and is required by law to install an OS on them. If they fail to do so, won’t IBM be pissed off that they’re flouting the law and exposing IBM to potential penalties and damage to its rep?

Surely a large percentage of HP, Dell and other machines are also made in China. Won’t those companies put pressure on their Chinese suppliers to comply with the law?

No-name machines made in China for domestic sale are a different matter and I expect they’ll continue to be sold without OS, but the ones for sale to reputable US companies and export from China: isn’t the law likely to have a significant effect with them?

You’ve got it the wrong way round. Lenovo bought IBM (well the laptop part of it anyway) - so IBM don’t have any say in what Lenovo do.

Well, if a computer is made for a Western company and is exported to the west, then the computer will get the OS that the company requested - nothing to do with local regulations, it’s simply what the customer is asking for.

I don’t think the regulations will affect PCs made for outside China at all - as they will nearly all have an OS on them already.

It was the price China’s Hu Jintao paid to have dinner with Bill Gates in his $100Million home in Washington :wink: