China will keep growing for years... but

[quote=“mod lang”]Ah, but you can compare Japan’s performance pre-1950 to China’s current performance, and perhaps that is the better comparison. Post-Meiji Restoration Japan started from a similar non-industrialized, peasant society as China did, and developed more rapidly than any other nation in history.[/quote]I’m sure someone has published an academic paper out there discussing GDP growth in post-Meiji restoration Japan. Do you have a reference we can look at to evaluate this claim?

I really am interesting in seeing specific numbers. But I’d also like to point out the “Meiji restoration” started in 1868. What was the size of Japan’s economy 25 years later, in 1893? Are you sure the result in that time period is provably superior to China’s growth leading up to 2005?

And how many generations of “catch-up economies” does the author have to reference? … Two? Seems like a pretty tiny sample size to draw such a heavy conclusion. Difficult for me to assume the existence of some perpetual motion machine that tells us India’s growth will be even faster than China’s, and sub-Saharan Africa’s growth will be even faster than India’s.

I also question the author’s numbers. He claims China’s GDP per capita annual growth from 1978 - 2003 was 6.1% per year. The World Bank claims China’s growth from 1975-2000 was 8.1% per year (higher than the other countries named in the Wolf paper). There’s a slight difference in time frame measured, but not a flattering one from China’s perspective. The World Bank includes '75-'78 (pre-reforms) but leaves out '00-'03 (accelerated growth in China). And let’s not forget what we just heard this week: China’s GDP statistics for the last decade will be revised upwards, in order to account for a total 20% under-estimate of current GDP.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/eco_gdp_gro_dur_197_200

But I really want to step away from the claim here that China’s GDP growth over the past 25 years is the highest ever recorded in human history amongst any society anywhere in the world. That’s a pretty difficult standard to hold up. I just noticed that, for example, Equitorial Guinea had something like a 2000%+ growth over the past 20 years. Good for the Guineans.

I never intended this to be a competition; not only because score-keeping is nearly impossible, but because it’s also meaningless. The game’s constantly changing, and no one gets a gold star for being “first”. China’s GDP growth is phenomenal, and that’s good enough. I’ll end with a repetition of Wolf’s conclusion:

[quote]
The bottom line is clear. Do not think China’s rapid growth is either extraordinary or a flash in the pan. It is neither. The social and political obstacles to China’s rapid growth are considerable. But the opportunity remains enormous. China’s economic boom could well be in its middle, not its end.[/quote]

edit.

"According to a recently People

That’s just sour grapes because USA insurance companies don’t have a large presence on the Mainland.

You’re going to trust the propoganda of a political pressure group in the USA. They are not called “Special Interest” group for nothing you know. :loco:

Uh here we were expecting a rational response, but of course we get instant defense from a Chicomm rule book on propoganda. Next you’ll tell us that the people of China enjoy the freedoms and democracy that we do… oh wait you actually have claimed such! How could I forget?

Anyway the source is from the PEOPLE’S DAILY!!! China’s state controlled media! So as far as propoganda’s concerned, if what China is saying is true, then, [b]"most of China

This is self assertion makes readers question how unbias your source is.

AC, I will repeat YET AGAIN because you’re being so stubborn about this…

Okay, again, the source of the article, the entire article is based on THE PEOPLE’S DAILY.COM.CN!!!

Are you really incapable of understanding such a basic concept? These are figures that the CCP claims by itself! There is nothing to be biased about. 81 billion dollars of damage does equal about 6% of China’s GDP. Hence yes the damage does cancel out China’s growth.

I’ll give ShrimpCracker partial credit on this one. He’s right, the source is Chinese state media.

So, why not full credit? Because you don’t really understand the point you’re trying to make.

The fact that 6% of the Chinese economy is being lost through non-productive activities does not mean the economy is not growing. It just means exactly what’s stated: 6% of economic output is being used in this specific category of expenditure. So? What % of economic output is going towards instant n7oodles and KTV? Heck, if my one day in-country so far is any reference… probably 50%. :wink:

Let’s think of it this way. Let’s assume every other penny not involved in industrial accidents/environmental damage is being used in a more meaningful way (no more instant noodles, no more KTV). This 94% of the Chinese economy is still generating enough growth, that the total economy next year will still be 109% of this year’s total. Get it?

Quite a sad Documentary. Interesting to see how things change .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dkof7HlMmM&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR1YxnL9dQ_P0jJycuA0052S2biBk2Y4FYK1lB-EJ4nkxgKSZN7lv-cCnqo

1 Like

They are so fucked.

1 Like

that was brilliant. i liked how the fakeness of the white monkey performers paralleled the fakeness of chinas whole real estate business. i was surprised to see the home buyers protesting. like people were actually fooled by that whole package? they were seduced in by the ‘professional singer’ from congo or they really thought it would be a good idea to move to the middle of nowhere?

They just want to 發財 by selling to others. I doubt most believed the foreigner acts.
Great doc.

“white monkey” ? This is your level of conversation. Amazing…

No no, @BHL4life is accurate. In China, there is a large market of hiring white people as actors within the company, presenting themselves as executives to give the company face and prestige. It’s completely fake and is essentially a job with no actual thought and 100% do-as-I-say.

lol it’s hilarious. When I was in China I dated a russian girl whos job is to greet people in the lobby at a 5 star hotel. She got a really nice room and I got to stay there instead of the shubby dorms. They love that over there it’s creepy.

Since when is it okay to refer to people as monkeys, it is just pure racism.

It depends on context I suppose. It is derogatory , but as an example we call people “cheeky monkey” and in Taiwan "Old Monkey " is used for husbands, sometimes, in an endearing way or to just signify maybe frustrating , slim girls may be called “san” monkeys , it’s not meant in a Racist way.
Here the “token” white person was so described as they were just there as a white face performing , so in that way I guess it could be deemed to be rather insensitive, but not meant as a hateful remark, IMO

1 Like

I would have thought it was anti-monkeyism.

nothing racist about it. its in the context of performing monkey. no white monkeys would be offended by it, everyone knows what these jobs are.
i guess the only thing wrong with it is there are not only white people doing the jobs. as you can see there are black professional singers from france, i mean the congo.

I didn’t watch the clip here, but if it’s the one I saw before, then “white monkey” is just how they chose to translate 老外.