China's genocide of Uighurs and news suppression

To quote from the end:

And that, she said, was the plan. The surveillance, the internment, the indoctrination, the dehumanisation, the sterilisation, the torture, the rape.

“Their goal is to destroy everyone,” she said. “And everybody knows it.”

Happy camping.

Even though this will definitely fall on deaf ears, it’s good to see activist groups from Hong Kong, Taiwan, Tibet, and East Turkestan working together.

1 Like

Do you think anyone will boycott?

I’m skeptical. I can’t believe Canada will go with the two Michael’s still in detention on top of the genocide

If the NBA and Lebron James is any indication, then no, no one will boycott. People in sports want that money.

4 Likes

China can assassinate Merkel and no one would boycott.

1 Like

At this early stage I think it is difficult to say, but it is good to see that attention is being put on the issue so quickly

1 Like

Yes, what I’ve been hearing from Canadian media, all perspectives, is that it’s unfair to the athletes. They argue China won’t change and these athletes train for years so it’s unfair to them .

I get it, but it seems ridiculous to go, especially after what China did with Covid

Gruesome allegations, and less suppression of this type of news. Could be wrong but this is the kind of media coverage that is usually the prelude to war.

Front Page CNN International News:

2 Likes

Their take: Shackles are just training gear. Gang rape is just aggressive re-education.

Unfortunately the rest is the world buys it. Literally and metaphorically

1 Like

Let’s face it, China can do whatever they want to the Uyghurs and they’d get away with it. No doubt all the politicians and corporations and businesses kowtowing to China will also, come Holocaust Memorial retweet #neveragain while ignoring the fact that a month ago they removed a mention of Taiwan from their website or stopped someone wearing a Hong Kong shirt at a sports game to pander to the government which is doing it again.

1 Like

It occurs to me that what the world really needs right now is a reliable lie detector machine. I’m pretty sure this is technologically possible in 2021, even allowing for the fact that “truth” can be subjective.

The media generally are so full of shit that it’s hard to tell what’s made up and what’s the cold hard truth. China itself generates a tsunami of falsehood and FUD.

If it were possible to know for certain if interviewees (or journalists) are telling the truth, it would be a lot less easy for the rest of the world to ignore this sort of thing. As it is, CNN has to pepper that article with “we don’t know if this is true or not” disclaimers.

1 Like

It’s not the media’s fault.
The blame is 100% on China.

2 Likes

It’s partly their fault. Newpapers and TV have always presented a highly biased or partisan view of what’s going on, and sometimes they’re just making stuff up. They are often used to spread propaganda. If they weren’t such incorrigible liars, people would be more inclined to take these reports seriously. My guess is, it’s probably true. But I’d like to know for certain.

1 Like

You can’t have a 100% expectations of facts and truth from the media because the media are made up.of people and they also have to deal with impartial knowledge.

It’s the Chinese govt that is doing the heinous acts and suppressing info not the media. In fact only the media are doing anything at all about this !

So the heroes are those media workers who go in and try to report the story in a very repressive place.

1 Like

Well, my point is: are they? I’m just playing devil’s advocate here. It’s the sort of thing China does. But information warfare is the sort of thing everyone does. So, who do we believe?

Why would we doubt so many different data and leaks and interviews now. They are building a picture now.

During WWII it also took time to get the news out about concentration camps and even afterwards people have been denying they existed.

Honestly, Brian, I don’t know what to think anymore. You’re probably right. As I said, this is the sort of thing China gets up to. But I’m developing bullshit fatigue. 2020 was full of it.

We need some radically new method of getting the truth out there. As things stand, there are too many ways the truth can be messed with. You can fake absolutely anything these days, given adequate manpower and computer time.

1 Like

What I don’t understand is, with all the amazing high resolution satellite imagery, can’t we get live HD pics and videos of all these camps? We’re not living in 1940s where we had to rely on word of mouth info.

Ofcourse the CIA probably already has all the footage. They just won’t release it.

2 Likes

There’s been a steady stream of stuff coming out. That is why it’s getting harder to deny what they are doing.

1 Like