China's genocide of Uighurs and news suppression

You think too much. Please define my “racial politics” wrt to this one singular issue.

If someone came out with a report that said the exact clothes I wore were made by slave labor, I wouldn’t but it ever again. As it stands now, I’m pretty good about not buying anything marked Made In China. It’s the best I can do. :idunno:

2 Likes

This story won’t make a difference. China will get away with it.

It’s sad. At Holocaust Memorial Day, people gather and say “never again” but it is happening again and the world just turns a blind eye when Xi jangles his money bag.

1 Like

Likewise. I avoid China products as best I can. I also avoid China pandering companies like Disney as best I can.

A company panders to China and Xi, they lose my business.

https://s3-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/ad-aspi/2020-03/Uyghurs%20for%20sale_Final.pdf

https://www.business-humanrights.org/en/latest-news/china-83-major-brands-implicated-in-report-on-forced-labour-of-ethnic-minorities-from-xinjiang-assigned-to-factories-across-provinces-includes-company-responses/

Apple, Esprit, Victoria’s Secret and Fila declined to make public comment to criticisms.

So if you have an iPhone, get rid of those as well. Also, your Samsung, Sony, Dell, Thinkpad, BMW, Mercedes, Jaguars, Land Rover, VW, HP, GE, hp, Pandasonic, Nintendo, Mitsubishi, ASUS, LG, and while you are at it, stop using Google and Microsoft as well. Oh, and Cisco products powers most of the internet, so don’t use those as well.

OK man. Not sure what your point is. And have to tell you, most of those companies don’t get my money either. Are you saying that the world is so interconnected that criticizing and boycotting China due to their horrendous treatment of the Uighers is a waster of time?

I think I’ll stick with my original assessment. I’m not one to buckle that easily. If Black comminutes don’t know where their extensions are coming from and how they are “manufactured” they sure should.

2 Likes

No. I’m saying this CCP human rights abuse has global consequences and we are all living with the effects of it. In the past 2 decades we as consumers and our governments have chosen an authoritarian state to benefit from the global market and become the world’s factory. We then did nothing when the CCP oppresses minorities and political reformers. Now there is nearly no escape from the Chinese supply chain.

The charts listed in the report only listed big name companies because they are high profile and are the ones most likely could do something to avoid using products from East Turkestan. There are thousands more smaller companies and brands that are involved in the supply chain.

Also, once China realized people would avoid materials and products made in East Turkestan, they would simply relocate Uighur prisoners elsewhere and pretend stuff aren’t made by Uighurs.

Finally, everything they did to the Uighurs, the CCP did it to the Tibetans first. The guy that abused Tibetans did it so well, the CCP gave him a promotion and put him in charge of East Turkestan.

So instead of singling out an ethnicity for using Uighur made products because you somehow feel they should bear more responsibility or should be more aware, I’m saying we are all in this together and this situation won’t change unless we all act and demand our government to do something about it.

4 Likes

I think this is what you thought I was doing. The folks I was talking about, the ones I know, the kids that study cosmetology in high school, would be shocked to learn that this is where their hair extensions were coming from. They are very woke folks. Hair is BIG part of AA culture in general. Maybe you do or do not know that. I do. I wasn’t casting blame or shame on them. If that’s how you interpreted it, I can apologize for my lack of clarity, but Imma push back hard against your implication that I singled out an ethnicity for the sake of mocking, shaming, or dissing them. Far from it.

Well, that won’t happen if the people using the extensions don’t know where they come from. :idunno:

100% with the Uighurs on this but it’s not an actual genocide. It’s a cultural genocide. It’s best not to draw parallels with the Holocaust.

I do know that. But it’s not just hair extensions, many cosmetic products are labor intensive. Eyelash extensions for example are also very likely to be made in East Turkestan. Any type of fabric, like the surface of your couch, lace on curtains, you name it, can also have a high probability of being made from materials made by forced labor.

People aren’t more or less responsible for what’s going on in East Turkestan because of how woke they are. That’s my point.

1 Like

First, cultural genocide is genocide.

Second, the CCP is actively preventing Uighurs from having children. How is that not genocide?

6 Likes

Again…is that what you got from this post:

It seems a stretch. I don’t disagree with your larger point, I just don’t see how your criticism of my post reaches fully erect on its own merit.

Disagree

While they may not be gassing them, they are forcibly sterialising the females.

It’s genocide. A slower genocide but genocide nontheless.

5 Likes

I just don’t see how any community getting hair extensions made by forced labor is more ironic than any other community getting iphones made by forced labors.

You may well be right.

1 Like

OK, this is the end of this for me, but I will answer it to the best of my ability. I said,

and the reason I said it that way was due to the 400 years of “forced labor” that AA suffered through. This issue is kind of a big thing these days.

Good day. I hope that answer satisfies ya, bc that’s all you’re going to get. :cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

Of course they were. Could the UN possibly be any more of a joke?
:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

4 Likes
1 Like

It’s high time, it seems to me, that some sort of transnational organisation were brought into existence to represent the interests of citizens rather than governments. We could call it, I dunno, the United Nations or something. The existing UN would then be free to rebrand themselves with a name that more accurately reflects their mission. “China”, for example.

4 Likes

Citing China’s detention of Uighur Muslims, its crackdown on democratic rights in Hong Kong, its decades-long repression of Tibet and its imprisonment of Canadians Michael Spavor and Michael Kovrig, the senators described the regime in Beijing as the “biggest threat to mankind and a danger to international security.”

2 Likes