China's Population Decline is Da Bomb

Nah just garden variety planetary warming and its consequences.

Guy

1 Like

We’re a fairly adaptable species, so I think you can relax.

3 Likes

Plus we have stopped using plastic straws so we’ve at least pushed back doomsday.

5 Likes

I haven’t. Blame the rising tides and warm breezes on me I guess.

2 Likes

. . . as I thought, yes it does seem we are not reading the same materials on this topic.

Guy

I started the thread. I try to keep up. Are you confusing this thread with the we gonna getcha Great Reset thread?

I guess my tangent is loosely related to “population decline” if not only focused on our giant continent sized neighbour across the strait.

I suppose my tangent does raise the question of how planetary warming and its impact will affect population growth in China as it too contends with food security and water management issues.

There, I think I brought it back on topic! :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

Pre-Covid my clients in the plastics industry were hurting, driving BMW’s or older Mercedes. It was difficult doing new business.

Since Covid, the parking lots are full of exotic cars and they are spending like kings. The waste produced these past few years is quite remarkable. Five weeks ago myself and three other divers picked up 22 masks littering the reefs of kenting, it was just a 50 minute dive covering maybe 50 m2.

1 Like

China’s problems are demographic, not so much climate related. Even if they lose half their population in the next 50 years or so, it will mostly be due to lack of babies and the death of really old people. Not war which would be horrendous if that many civilians were killed, or famine or rising sea levels.

That said, ONLY 500,000,000 Chinese is still enough to keep on keeping on for an economy transitioning to fully post industrial. They ain’t there yet.

2 Likes

I’m not following you. Should population growth in China be encouraged? Or is planetary warming a benefit as it will reduce population growth?

That won’t solve anyone’s demographic issues unless kids are put to work.

1 Like

As the lazy little feckers should be

3 Likes

Schools are a waste of their time they say. Ok, but they won’t like the alternative.

1 Like

your video led to this one. classic door “chime”

1 Like

Every bing bong two cents. What you want

1 Like

So, egg harvesting so they can grow their own.

2 Likes

A visualization, from the Financial Times, of what is happening in the PRC. Remember they have no effective immigration policy aside from attempting to lure Taiwan Compatriots to their side . . .

Source: https://twitter.com/ianbremmer/status/1637121935459926018

Guy

1 Like

I assume the deep plunge in the late 50s was the result of the Great Leap Forward? That spring back in the 1960s seems a little dodgy.
Then comes the Cultural Revolution, followed by Mao’s death in 1976- and after the implementation of the one-child policy in 1980 the number of births went …up?
These numbers seem a bit wonky- don’t doubt the overall trend, but the timing seems a little off.