China's Population Decline is Da Bomb

A post was merged into an existing topic: Coronavirus - China

Not even unexpected.

But China’s one-child policy, which was introduced in 1980, drastically reduced its birth rate — and redirected its economic prospects. In recent years, women have been allowed to have up to three children, but the average birth rate still sits at 1.2. China’s population is set to peak in the coming years and projected to decline. This means that the older, nonworking population will have to rely on individual single children, many of whom will probably face economic difficulties caring for two parents and four grandparents. As a result, many elderly Chinese will be left to rely on a public pension system that is reportedly set to run out of money by 2035, despite recent efforts by the government to boost revenue.

Unhappy and insecure people don’t want babies, it turns out.

BUllshit numbers out from China.

It said those “deaths related to COVID” occurred in hospitals, which means anyone who died at home would not be included in the numbers.

The definition of what constitutes a covid death is also off.

Guessing where it will end in China is futile, I have seen well argumented pieces guessing on everything from 1 million to forty million.

And how will we know? About the onlybthing we can say with any certainty is, whatever the government says, it probably isn’t that

No Chinese I know trust government data.

2 Likes

Li Keqiag himself said that Chinese data isnt trustworthy and has his own index. Even if central government data was reliable(it isn’t but probably a bit better), local government leaders at every level(village, district, city, county, province) are incentivized to massage the numbers if they are going to be promoted

Made a truth update

Me He is my chinese name, my dear lady. 賀先生。

haha just kidding around

Reuters news out that China’s population fell by 850k in 2022, and # of women aged 25-35 fell by 4 million in same year. Zero-COVID policy had some part with the drop.
It’s the first official population decline in China since 1961 and death rate of 7.37/1000 people is highest since 1974 Cultural Revolution.

1 Like

Given how things are going lately, if we still have “people” in 2100 this may be viewed as a win.

Guy

Huh? What’s going on now that’s a real threat to humanity?

I guess the news you and I are reading may differ slightly.

Guy

I read a lot. I guess you read the super secret news.

So secret he can’t even share a link, apparently

I am speaking of the impending problems we will face collectively due to a warming planet, sea level rise, and its impact on food systems and cities.

Let’s just say the prospects of cooperating / coordination to do something about this trend are not looking especially rosy now.

Sorry @TT if I don’t have a link for you to corroborate this view.

Guy

1 Like

Thanks for at least clarifying, my first guesses were extinction-level asteroid, covid-vaccine induced sterilization, and zombie apocalypse!

2 Likes