Chinese Buddhism is not Buddhism! (Kai Hung scandal)

And Chinese monks are not monks!

1 Like

Bunch of homophobic bigots those Buddhists are.

And it’s not a orgy… it was him and his super amazing husband.

More coverage:

While this video shows Ven. Kai Hung with a single lover whom he calls his “husband,” he is said to have a number of such lovers, and several news reports refer to “sex parties.”

Interestingly, gay sex is treated differently from (most) straight sex by the vinaya, with the result that Ven. Kai Hung may not be automatically disrobed, although it seems clear that he has committed offenses which must be confessed. The drugs (unless medicinal) would probably also be an offense.

What’s this got to do with “Chinese” Buddhism being Buddhism?

It’s weird that nuns were blocking the police and locking him in a room until a a man just unlocked the door and police found him playing with his phone. Some reports said that the monks at his temple reported him to the police. It’s strange that he was still protected by some.

1 Like

If you knew how many fake monks walk on Taiwan’s streets you’d wonder.

Is there actually anything in Buddhism that says something against homosexuality, orgies/sex and drug use?

What about vegetarianism?

2 Likes

That thread is about a sign displayed in Taipei. The monk is question doesn’t appear to be a lamist. Or Chinese.

You can’t make this stuff up

The other thread was about a Chinese Buddhist group that insists that Tibetan Buddhism is not really Buddhism, citing various sex scandals. Representatives of the group joined the thread, making it very long, and later created several more to promote their views. I’m mocking them by reversing their argument.

Buddhism does not have anything like the Ten Commandments, but offers sets of vows that are said to be beneficial. The best-known is a set of five precepts, including one on the avoidance of “sexual misconduct” and another on the avoidance of “intoxicants.” The precise meaning of these phrases is the subject of various commentaries which do not all agree. Monks and nuns are subject to a much larger list of vows, including a prohibition of any kind of sexual behavior. This kind of list (there are several versions) of monks’ and nuns’ vows is called vinaya. Some vinaya violations are said to result in automatic disrobing, others can be confessed before the assembly. Gay sex (on the part of monks or nuns) would generally fall into the latter category (and thus expunged). Masturbation is treated similarly. Whether various forms of gay sex among laypeople count as negative actions / violations of the precept against sexual misconduct is a largely matter of interpretation–but in a culture which often considers such interpretations to be infallible. Nevertheless, gays and lesbians usually find Buddhism to be a fairly congenial religion.

Since it’s a thread from 2011, I think you’re the only one who got the joke. But hey, the best jokes are the ones you have to explain.

And was it a Chinese Buddhist group, or a Taiwanese one?

Nope. That theme was incessant for a while on here. Anyone who passes by Yuanshan Station (and the foundation propagandizing the issue there) much should get it too.

1 Like

Gotcha. Didn’t imagine it was still there. Still a stretch as a joke. And not Chinese, unless I’ve missed something there too.

I use “Chinese Buddhism” in the same way that I use “Tibetan Buddhism” or “Roman Catholicism.”

Fair enough. But based on last night’s referendum vote, it would have been funnier if you called it “Chinese Taipei Buddhism”.