Chinese Characters I Always Forget How to Pronounce

Speaking of drinks, I saw a brand of milk tea called Dr milker.

No, I’m not giving you a discount.

1 Like

Always thought it was “ran” because that’s the Japanese pronunciation, besides arashi,

Interesting:

1 Like

I’m almost positive it wasn’t an available character when I used it as my Forumosa icon; previously I had to insert a small image file into text. I wonder when it was added to unicode?

1 Like

Fortunately the bubble tea chain 五十嵐 has solved this problem for me.

ChatGPT to the rescue (this only works in 3.5 for some reason)

Shuowen
In the “Shuowen Jiezi,” the entry for 嵐 (lán) is as follows:

嵐,山間氣也。从山監聲。从山者,表其形;監者,聲之辭也。

嵐 (lán) - Atmospheric vapor in mountainous areas. It is composed of the radical for “mountain” (山) and the phonetic component “監” (jiān), which represents its pronunciation. The radical component denotes its form, while the phonetic component indicates its sound.

嵐(lán)" - 山間的大氣濕度。由部首"山"和聲旁"監"組成,"山"表示其形狀,"監"表示其發音。

Kangxi

部首:山,字:嵐
康熙字典
《唐韻》《集韻》《韻會》《正韻》《說文》《廣韻》《集韻》《韻會》𠀤蘭也。从山從監聲。《爾雅·釋山》謂之嵐,如晝嵐也。
【廣韻】蘭,嵐,山中氣。《釋山》曰:嵐,山中氣也。从山从監聲。監,即監聲也
【集韻】嵐,山中氣也。《爾雅》謂之嵐,如晝嵐。从山从監聲。晝嵐,山間氣也。
【說文解字】嵐,山間氣也。从山監聲。从山者,表其形;監者,聲之辭也。
【爾雅·釋山】謂之嵐,如晝嵐也。
【釋文】謂之嵐,如晝嵐也。晝嵐,山間氣也。

【嵐】
Radical: Mountain (山), Character: 嵐

From the Tangyun, Jiyun, Yunhui, Zhengyun, Shuowen, Guangyun, Jiyun, Yunhui, it is pronounced as “lán”.

Derived from the character for “orchid” (蘭). It consists of the radical for “mountain” and the phonetic component “監”.

In the Er Ya, it is said that “嵐” refers to mist, like daytime mist.

【廣韻】“lán”, refers to the atmospheric vapor in mountains. In the explanation of mountains, it says: “嵐” refers to the atmospheric vapor in mountains. It consists of the radical for “mountain” and the phonetic component “監”.

【集韻】“lán”, refers to the atmospheric vapor in mountains. In the Er Ya, it is said that “嵐” refers to mist, like daytime mist. It consists of the radical for “mountain” and the phonetic component “監”. “Daytime mist” refers to the atmospheric vapor among mountains.

【說文解字】“嵐”, refers to the atmospheric vapor among mountains. It consists of the radical for “mountain” and the phonetic component “監”. The radical for “mountain” represents its form, while the phonetic component “監” represents its pronunciation.

【爾雅·釋山】“嵐” refers to mist, like daytime mist.
【釋文】“嵐” refers to mist, like daytime mist. “Daytime mist” refers to the atmospheric vapor among mountains.

2 Likes

It’s not hard to get from 監 to lán. Just think about 藍. It also why in Taigi 艦 is pronounced as lām.

1 Like

Sorry for a somewhat off topic post. But anyway, as part of my pathetic attempts to use more Chinese I changed my Formosa account to Chinese. Not a big deal however there are catches including that I ‘always forget’ the characters, it triggers auto translate issues on my i-pad and phone, and the worst one: I can’t figure out how to change it back.

Anyone know how to change the language setting back?

Under Preferences/Interface.

1 Like

Hallelujah!

It worked. Figured out why I couldn’t find it: once it is in Chinese when I hit the interface button nothing happens. But I got to it by opening the link in a new tab.

1 Like

Back on topic, who knows how to say the second character without looking it up?

Nope

Yeah, I can’t do it either. Hope that helps. :whistle:

gòu ㄍㄡˋ

1 Like

Had to look it up too. Seems to be a fairly rare character. So I wonder why they used it as business name. Maybe part of the name of the owner?

3 Likes

Wow, I never knew it’s supposed to be pronounced as lām. I always thought it as kàm.

I thought , but I was not 100% sure…

Saw a video talking about the characters that the Japanese Kanji got right, as in preserving the original way of writing and meaning.

Hanji Kanji Related OG Meaning
Order, the lower portion is a kneeing person
楂柵 Wooden fence
真 The part in the middle was supposed to be the top part of 鼎
具 The top part was supposed to be the top part of 鼎
NA The part in the middle was supposed to be an eye 目. No separate unicode glyph, difference can only be shown with fonts
祝詋 Hanji version didn’t appear until late Ming

Would it be possible to share this video?

It’s in Cantonese.

duò ?

I wonder how many people would know without the zhùyīn fúhào.