Chinese contract only

Hello,

This moved to my current place over a year ago, but since the contract time is running, the problem I have will resurface again.

I moved above my friends, and they helped me do the talk with no-English landlord. He had a contract to sign, but obviously I could not read it, and we were just agreeing on thing verbally. The apartment is cheap, but the A/C in the bedroom was really bad and the washing machine broken. So I bought those new. I asked him to agree on only 1 month deposit, because I didn’t have enough money at that time, and I was sure he agreed.

In the end, the guy tells me he didn’t get my full deposit (2 month value of rent)… I was surprised, and a battle started. Apparently he misunderstood us, my friend misunderstood him, and he tells me I signed the contract and contract says that. He told me, I can leave him the A/C and washing machine (13000 worth!, while the missing deposit is 6000). In the end I didn’t argue more, because I really couldn’t move again. But I think it’s unfair. Deposit money are supposed to be returned anyway, so why I need to give him 13000 worth things? I wonder if there’s any way I can try to go over it. I didn’t break anything in apartment over time, so rather shouldn’t breach the contract. Any repairs I had to do myself (water pipe on the balcony, any broken bulbs, etc.).

It frustrates me, because yeah I did sign contract (there was no option really), but what he told me and what is written there is different, but now it’s all blamed on misunderstanding (aparently “mei guan xi”/OK doesn’t mean “yes”, but that he will think about it, WTF?)

Any ideas guys how can I go out of it with my washing machine and A/C?

Agnes

[quote=“mukashi”]Hello,

This moved to my current place over a year ago, but since the contract time is running, the problem I have will resurface again.

I moved above my friends, and they helped me do the talk with no-English landlord. He had a contract to sign, but obviously I could not read it, and we were just agreeing on thing verbally. The apartment is cheap, but the A/C in the bedroom was really bad and the washing machine broken. So I bought those new. I asked him to agree on only 1 month deposit, because I didn’t have enough money at that time, and I was sure he agreed.

In the end, the guy tells me he didn’t get my full deposit (2 month value of rent)… I was surprised, and a battle started. Apparently he misunderstood us, my friend misunderstood him, and he tells me I signed the contract and contract says that. He told me, I can leave him the A/C and washing machine (13000 worth!, while the missing deposit is 6000). In the end I didn’t argue more, because I really couldn’t move again. But I think it’s unfair. Deposit money are supposed to be returned anyway, so why I need to give him 13000 worth things? I wonder if there’s any way I can try to go over it. I didn’t break anything in apartment over time, so rather shouldn’t breach the contract. Any repairs I had to do myself (water pipe on the balcony, any broken bulbs, etc.).

It frustrates me, because yeah I did sign contract (there was no option really), but what he told me and what is written there is different, but now it’s all blamed on misunderstanding (aparently “mei guan xi”/OK doesn’t mean “yes”, but that he will think about it, WTF?)

Any ideas guys how can I go out of it with my washing machine and A/C?

Agnes[/quote]

I see this over and over: someone wants a place and ignores the quality of landlord. I don’t know what to tell you. You set yourself up for this…

Are there clauses in the contract that are illegal under Taiwanese law? Probably not – landlords tend to buy standard contracts from the stationery store. So if you signed, the people you should be hassling are the idiots who told you to sign, not the landlord. You can always simply take your property away with you when you leave, too, if the landlord doesn’t want to pay for it. The AC and washing machine are yours, after all.

Yes, I know it doesn’t seem smart. But I thought if not me and my Chinese skills at middle level, then my Taiwanese friend was understanding what we sign up for. Eh…

Well, to add on to the wound, my landlord turned out to be somehow crossing privacy borders. I often saw that he was in the apartment when I wasn’t there, without notifying me of the visit (I knew since he used the toilet, and the sit up, which I never do as a woman). He also told me that he doesn’t like that my friend is keeping her baby stuff in the free room, and said he was planning that his daughter could use it for tutoring twice a week (!). Did not agree to that one very very strongly. I mean, is that a norm in Taiwan? My previous landlord, let some strangers into house while I was inside, without telling me (that was 3 stories house, I did not hear them until they came to sight see my room!).

I am worried what will happen when the moving out come… officially, the free washing machine and A/C are not in contract, but then paying 2 months worth deposit is :confused:

Rule No. 1. Change the locks as soon as you move in. This is standard in every country I’ve ever lived in, including my own. How the HELL can the landlord get into your house without permission?

[quote=“mukashi”]Yes, I know it doesn’t seem smart. But I thought if not me and my Chinese skills at middle level, then my Taiwanese friend was understanding what we sign up for. Eh…

Well, to add on to the wound, my landlord turned out to be somehow crossing privacy borders. I often saw that he was in the apartment when I wasn’t there, without notifying me of the visit (I knew since he used the toilet, and the sit up, which I never do as a woman). He also told me that he doesn’t like that my friend is keeping her baby stuff in the free room, and said he was planning that his daughter could use it for tutoring twice a week (!). Did not agree to that one very very strongly. I mean, is that a norm in Taiwan? My previous landlord, let some strangers into house while I was inside, without telling me (that was 3 stories house, I did not hear them until they came to sight see my room!).

I am worried what will happen when the moving out come… officially, the free washing machine and A/C are not in contract, but then paying 2 months worth deposit is :/[/quote]

No. This is not standard.

It is very important that your landlord is honest. When I use to rent, I spent a lot of time chatting with them. If anything seemed off at all, I walked. (The good thing about bad landlords is they’re really easy to spot.)

But I think many Taiwanese landlord doesn’t agree to lock change. They do think the apartment is still theirs.

Well, since last time when I got really pissed when I found that, our guard is to notice my friend (she’s stay at home mom) if he sees the landlord going up (he comes to pick up mail). But I think, next time I will have to be less polite while renting… and require English copy of the contract or have a friend translate word by word (well now my bf could do the work, probably better).

Thanks anyway. I think I will run away at least with the washing machine…

[quote=“mukashi”]

Thanks anyway. I think I will run away at least with the washing machine…[/quote]
Hold on – so is the washing machine and AC yours or not? If they belong to you, why would you even think you are “running away” with them? They are YOUR property.

I am pretty sure the landlord is not allowed in your house uninvited (unless he is opening the door for the police who have a warrant). Might want to remind him of this, especially if he is shitting up your john, DAMN!

Also, the appliances are yours, just take them when you leave.

With the Taiwanese its best not to make a fuss, just do what you need to do when you need to do it (take your shit when you go).

[quote=“mukashi”]But I think many Taiwanese landlord doesn’t agree to lock change. They do think the apartment is still theirs.

[/quote]
You don’t ASK! You don’t need to. Change the lock, first thing.

What you do is that you go to Tsui Mama, download & print their standard contract in 2 copies, and have your landlord sign that.

I did that when renewing my current lease. He asked me to send him 2 signed copies recently, it would appear that my landlord does not give a jot.

It says something about landlord not entering without my premission, however again, my landlord lives in New York, so I do not expect him to show up on anywhere near a regular basis.

Thanks, I might just do that, quite move out == Tsui Mama? is that some real estate website? That might be good idea for any new contract!

Tsuei Ma-Ma Foundation for Housing and Community Services
Service Hour: 1:00pm~5:00pm;7:00pm~9:00, Monday through Friday.
Tel:(02)2365-8140, extension 224、225
Add: 2F, No.2-3, Lane 269, Sec. 3, Roosevelt Rd., Da-an District, Taipei 106, Taiwan
E-Mail:tmm2.org@msa.hinet.net

tmm.org.tw/English/index.html

Or simply get a bilingual version here: tmm.org.tw/English/tenancy_agreement_EN.htm

EigerMarcus: Thanks, that’s actually really useful!!!

Agnes