Chinese Cuisine

CNN’s take on Chinese Cuisine:
“The people who greet each other with “Have you eaten yet?” are arguably the most food-obsessed in the world. Food has been a form of escapism for the Chinese throughout its tumultuous history.
The Chinese entrepreneurial spirit and appreciation for the finer points of frugality – the folks are cheap, crafty and food-crazed – results in one of the bravest tribes of eaters in the world. But the Chinese don’t just cook and sell anything, they also make it taste great.
China is the place to go to get food shock a dozen times a day. “You can eat that?” will become the intrepid food traveler’s daily refrain. China’s regional cuisines are so varied it’s hard to believe they’re from the same nation. It’s not a food culture you can easily summarize, except to say you’ll invariably want seconds.
Yum
Sweet and sour pork – a guilty pleasure that has taken on different forms.
Dim sum – a grand tradition from Hong Kong to New York.
Roast suckling pig and Peking duck – wonders of different styles of ovens adopted by Chinese chefs.
Xiaolongbao – incredible soup-filled surprises. How do they get that dumpling skin to hold all that hot broth?
Dumb
Shark’s fin soup – rallying for Chinese restaurants to ban the dish has been a pet issue of green campaigners in recent years.”

I think it is pretty accurate, not only in the Cuisine area but also several aspects of their (and Taiwan’s) society reflected in the way they eat. I see multi millionaires here being so frugal when eating and so completely unnecessary given their wealth size that I think CNN summarizes very well.

It has a jelly like consistency when it is scooped in to the raw dough from memory. When it is steamed it heats up from cold and liquifies…

2 Likes

You can’t really sum up Chinese food in one clickbait paragraph, but I guess it’s a reasonable bird’s-eye view. I’m not sure why “sweet and sour pork” is given as an example of Chinese haute cuisine though. About the only place you’re likely to see that is on a bian dang buffet, and even then only rarely. Perhaps more popular in HK? And why is it a “guilty” pleasure? Bloody dieticians. No wonder the Western diet looks crap in comparison to the Chinese offerings.

1 Like

I don’t know why people believe that journalism is dead.

2 Likes