Chinese food sucks in the USA

insidescoopsf.sfgate.com/blog/20 … e-cuisine/

what i been saying for years ! Chinese food in America sucks !

IN all of SF iv never found a chinese restaurant that i can say i truly like. All are mediocre. And iv only gone to one or two in NYC and LA that were awesome. I think the only good ones are probably in LA and NYC.

Chinese food in America is one and the same for the most part. And it simply sucks.

Its all mediocre hamajama. Chinese restaurants? I avoid them here.

I could go for a General Tso’s chicken.

Perhaps but I do miss my Chinese buffets in Texas… sigh… I was brought here with lies…

Cook your own, Tommy?

I can rustle up most dishes offered on the menu with a walk over to the wet market. Veg and fruit galore, then seafood, or pork, or keep it non-meat - tofu.

Wait, I’m in China.

General Tso’s Chicken - said to have been invented by Taiwanese chef Peng Chang-kuei, whose restaurant near Guting Station is still in business.
Crab Rangoon - invented by Trader Vic. Real Crab Rangoon contains real crab.
Fortune Cookies - said to have been invented at the Japanese Tea Garden in Golden Gate Park, San Francisco.
Chop Suey - Numerous stories surround its invention, but it appears to have been concocted in the US by Chinese chefs trying to make Chinese-like dishes out of leftovers that were acceptable to American palates.

I notice in the comments someone says he likes The Potsticker in SF. If he’s talking about the one on Waverly Street in Chinatown, it’s truly dreadful. For excellent Dim Sum, you have to go to Dol Ho on Pacific St. Generally, in Chinatown, the seedier the restaurant, the better the food.

Man… those Chinese buffets in El Paso were epic… heart burn medicine manufacturer’s best ally.

[quote=“Chris”]General Tso’s Chicken - said to have been invented by Taiwanese chef Peng Chang-kuei, whose restaurant near Guting Station is still in business.
[/quote]

Very different here and there though! It’s a great dish here with loads of marinated (I think) and seeded peppers

There (in NY anyway) the chicken is deep-fried! And with a more generic spicy sauce.

disagree. lots of good Chinese food.

although some ingredients aren’t the same and some cuisine are not allowed (ChiuChau) for sanitary laws (at least in Canada).

I would say it’s superior in some places over Asia as some of the best chefs moved to N.A. from Japan, China, Taiwan, HK.

I have been to a few in NYC and LA that were excellent. But here in the bay area, iv not met with much excellence. But i have met mediocrity everywhere iv been. But of course I aint been EVERYWHERE to every place around here.

Someone told me Milpitas has some great chinese and/or taiwanese restaurants. iv not tried them yet.

[quote=“tommy525”]I have been to a few in NYC and LA that were excellent. But here in the bay area, iv not met with much excellence. But I have met mediocrity everywhere iv been. But of course I aint been EVERYWHERE to every place around here.

Someone told me Milpitas has some great chinese and/or taiwanese restaurants. iv not tried them yet.[/quote]

south bay has very good taiwanese. OK, the canto dim sum is just OK, the hot pot is not bad. If you goto Vancouver, IMHO, it has some of the best.

East coast? forget it. NY, Boston, Toronto, just not good.

Its not going to be the same if you don’t have the same fresh ingredients. It might be very very good, but it’s just not going to be the REAL deal.

That said, I have my plan to open a Taiwanese rechao stirfry chain in Europe, please contact me for details and to pony up the investment cash.

what is rechao?

Well, I’ve been in the States many times and I don’t have any complaints about the Chinese foods there, especially HK restaurants. But there are those buffets like China Bowl, or China Moon that is really bad. I can remember one tiny restaurant in Flagstaff (AZ), the cookers were Mexican workers, the only Chinese thare was the woman boss ( cashier), the chinese food was really so not Chinese and was really, really bad and gross. But in Los Angeles you can find even bettrer restaurants than in Taiwan. In Edmonton (Canada) I can only find passable Chinese restaurants. But really, really good restaurants in Taiwan are not the standard. I’ve found thousands of bad cooking here and there also. I have visited big and fancy restaurants here in Taiwan that pays $$ for well dressed waiters but the food is very plain and I found a really good noodle shop in the main street of Sanyi (Miaoli), a very shabby, family run shop that serves a really spectacular flat noodle that you won’t find anywhere.

[quote=“tommy525”]I have been to a few in NYC and LA that were excellent. But here in the bay area, iv not met with much excellence. But I have met mediocrity everywhere iv been. But of course I aint been EVERYWHERE to every place around here.

Someone told me Milpitas has some great chinese and/or taiwanese restaurants. iv not tried them yet.[/quote]

they are ok… ok, some are decent. mostly slightly Hongkongish seafood places. you are much more likely to find great Ramen, Pho, Thai or Indian places in the Bay Area…

I think the only good Chinese food I’ve had was in Union City. And that was good by norcal standards, which is not bad by vancouver standards, which is so so by hk/taiwan standards.

As I am planning a trip to Vancouver, I found these quotes “interesting”:

[quote]In fact, the city of Richmond (a 30 minute drive south of Vancouver) has eclipsed Vancouver’s Chinatown in terms of Asian culture - hundreds of restaurants, many considered to offer the best Chinese food outside of China, a handful of modern HK style Asian shopping malls, 2 massive Asian night markets, etc.
[/quote]

Yes, it is true. But if you have been to a night market once, you dont need to go to another esp in vancouver. Same stuff, same food, cheap stationary, same people mountain people sea. I havent been back to Van in three years and will go this summer. I’m going to take my 4 yo on a ferry ride and maybe a road trip w some friends to Okanagan. Oh yeah, and hit up a few White Spots. I urge u to do the same, icon.

they suck now

Oh, dear, I just have it in the backburner as comfort food In Case of Emergency. Rather, I find it hillarious that, for a Canada trip, everyone on the forums gushes about Chinese food -in particular.

And yes, coming from the land of the night markets, I am quite appalled at seeing the Richmond night market as a must see in every “what to do in Vancouver” list. Oh, well, they also include the aquarium…

White Spots. Google, Google… :astonished: first doughnut holes, now this: whitespot.ca/menu/bc/dessert
Unless you want me to go Asian: whitespot.ca/menu/bc/lifestyle-choices

well, for people in North America, Vancouver really is the closest thing you can get to really good Chinese food/night markets. When I wasn’t able to return to Taiwan due to military conscription issues for 6+ years, I had very fond memories of Vancouver, because the food was awesome. I lived in SoCal for the majority of those 6 years, yet Vancouver food was still a plus for me.

But of course, Vancouver is not just about the Asian food though… you have to try the desserts! great chocolate dessert places where they perform live jazz music!