Chinese for Gamers

So I’ve finally decided to take the plunge and try and find a good local, Chinese-language forum about video games - or at least start reading gaming news in Chinese. Looking through Bahamut (www.gamer.com.tw) has given me an idea: what are some terms useful to gamers and/or specific to gaming? Here’s a couple I’ve got off the top of my head:

向下相容 - xiang4xia4 xiang5rong2 - backward compatibility
手把 - shou3ba3 - controller
任天堂 - ren4tian5tang2 - Nintendo
往日遊戲 - wang3ri4 you2xi4 - retro-games

Any more anyone wants to add?

Heh, I just started cruising some Chinese forums. Good and interesting practice for me. Stuff I use in the shops.

台片 - tai2pian4 - Bootleg :slight_smile:
改機 - gai3ji1 - modded/modified

[quote=“miltownkid”]Heh, I just started cruising some Chinese forums. Good and interesting practice for me.[/quote]What forums do you check? Aside from Bahamut, I’m not really aware of any…

I’m thinking of buying a Chinese version of Warcraft III (because I’m having trouble finding an English version). Do you think it’d be difficult to learn how to navigate the menus? My Chinese is elementary.

Here are some characters I’d want to be able to recognize:

pause/resume
quit
multiplayer
(and many more!)

I’m more interested in playing ladder matches than doing the campaigns, so I won’t feel much of a loss about missing the plot. But who knows. Maybe, as someone else suggested somewhere, I could just call it a language immersion experience. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“CaliBorn”]I’m thinking of buying a Chinese version of Warcraft III (because I’m having trouble finding an English version). Do you think it’d be difficult to learn how to navigate the menus? My Chinese is elementary.

Here are some characters I’d want to be able to recognize:

pause/resume
quit
multiplayer
(and many more!)

I’m more interested in playing ladder matches than doing the campaigns, so I won’t feel much of a loss about missing the plot. But who knows. Maybe, as someone else suggested somewhere, I could just call it a language immersion experience. :p[/quote]I think those are the only words that appear in Warcraft 3, the rest is all icons. And you’ll need to know “install” and “play” I guess. I’ve had it suggested to me too that playing games in Chinese is a good way to learn, but I’m not convinced. I don’t mix fun with torture…

[quote=“Tetsuo”]手把 - shou3ba3 - controller[/quote]The same term is used for bike handlebars, right? At least I think that’s what my mechanic calls them.